Thread: chena river

Default chena river

ok i live on fort wainwright and im wondering if anybody has any known good spots on the chena river to fish for pike, sheefish, whitefish, or burbot and how to access them by car. i dont have a boat so everything for me is offshore and being that i like fishing during lunch break i would love some info on how to get to the places to fish.

Default I could be off base but,

I don't think you are going to get anything but grayling out of the Chena. During the summer you can get some king salmon (most are fairly nasty by then) from here in town. But I don't think there is any white fish or shee fish. Seems like a guy had some burbot sets out by the Chena Lakes rec area during winter one time. Accessing the Chena on the base property should be pretty easy, but Iv'e never tried it. Usually need to drive up Chena Hot Springs road to at least 29 mile and further. That will be tough to do on a lunch break...

I think grayling is going to be your best bet.

The boat lagoon on post has pike in it. They are really shy, but you will see some. I have seen some around log jams here and there on post as well. I have found the Chena to be a bad Pike fishery, but they are in there. Look for a backwater. I just have not had any real luck for them, but I have only half heartily tried a couple of times when time was too short to take visitors further afield. I would recommend a Johnsonís Silver Minnow. At least one of the ponds by the rich on post has pike in them. I have caught a couple, but I canít remember which pond it was.

Chena River on FWA

You need a RAP card dont forget, they do issue citations when they are out checking.

Did you not see the pictures in the post paper last week?? Picture of the post cops checking me and Ian M for RAP cards and liscense. Picture of him with a "plump" humpback white fish ...we were fishing trhe "lagoon" boat ramp area across from the hospital at lunchtime.

There are several access points to the river....longnose suckers, grayling, and whitefish (both round nose and humpback), pike, and sheefish can all be caught in the river. King Salmon and Chum salmon in mid July. Pike and sheefish are not a prevalant as the grayling and sucker fish.

I drifted the slough this last sunday and saw a least 4 pike near Nordale Road. Try near there.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

[QUOTE=JediMasterSalmonSlayer;739532]Chena River on FWA

There are several access points to the river....longnose suckers, grayling, and whitefish (both round nose and humpback), pike, and sheefish can all be caught in the river. King Salmon and Chum salmon in mid July. Pike and sheefish are not a prevalant as the grayling and sucker fish.

JMSS, have yopu seen any pike, sheefish or whitefish in the upper chena? I've seen the salmon and grayling. But wouldn't a pike mean trouble up there?

Default Fort Wainwright portion

[QUOTE=egreife;739614]
    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Chena River on FWA

JMSS, have yopu seen any pike, sheefish or whitefish in the upper chena? I've seen the salmon and grayling. But wouldn't a pike mean trouble up there?
    see post...I am talking about chena river portion on FWA...sheefish, whitefish and pike yes I have caught them all in this portion of the river.

Default pictures from post paper

Pics that were in the FWA Post Paper: This was at lunchtime about 2 weeks ago. We caught grayling and humpback whitefish pretty study...checking creditials?

Paper quotes this catch as "plump"

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Pics that were in the FWA Post Paper: This was at lunchtime about 2 weeks ago. We caught grayling and humpback whitefish pretty study...checking creditials?

Paper quotes this catch as "plump"

haha....I've seen that before..."do you guys have your RAP card?" Did you call in and report where your fishing?

Sweet Fish!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

thanks guys it really helps alot what do you catch the white fish and suckers with? better yet, how do you fish for them? river bottom and sit and wait or spinners and spoons?

There is also great burbot fishing and there IS sheefish in the chena. We got into them a couple years back. Someone ended up catching one on a set line, we couldnt hook any of them while burbot fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by spc schoen View Post
    thanks guys it really helps alot what do you catch the white fish and suckers with? better yet, how do you fish for them? river bottom and sit and wait or spinners and spoons?
    Try using small white tube type crappie jigs.

Default Example 2

Default cast distance

hello, with those jigs are you guys adding a small weight or buck shot to assist in casting, or just using the jig only? ive found that light lures are hard to cast a decent distance.

Fished the Chena today with a newbie and had a great time. Some of the usual holes weren't producing but found some in a few new hole so that i always fun.

Did see a huge school (30+) of some kind of new fish. I am having a hard time identifying it since it doesn't look like the sheefish pictures that I have ever seen and not really like a burbot either. I am thinking must be "humpback whitefish". Wish I had a picture to send you all but couldn't get a single one of them to bite anything we had to throw. May be heading back out this coming Tuesday so any suggestions would be appreciated.

try lighter line 7mag, or a bobber as a float/indicator if you will. That's if you're having problems. The lighter line will typically solve most of your light lure casting problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Fished the Chena today with a newbie and had a great time. Some of the usual holes weren't producing but found some in a few new hole so that i always fun.

Did see a huge school (30+) of some kind of new fish. I am having a hard time identifying it since it doesn't look like the sheefish pictures that I have ever seen and not really like a burbot either. I am thinking must be "humpback whitefish". Wish I had a picture to send you all but couldn't get a single one of them to bite anything we had to throw. May be heading back out this coming Tuesday so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Those have to be longnose sucker fish, they are in big groups right now doing the nasty....I saw them all over on sunday in my canoe. Have another friend that caught them using the little crappie jigs.