Thread: Delta Youth Hunt... I guess my neice drew a permit???

Default Delta Youth Hunt... I guess my neice drew a permit???

I just got a call from my brother, and he said that he received a letter in the mail from Fish and Game indicating his daughter drew the DM792 Delta Youth Permit. I looked up the drawing results and it shows that she did not draw any hunts she applied for. I scanned through the winners list, and it does show some DM792 winners, and I remember Holly posted a couple months back inquiring about this hunt since her kid drew it.

Seems like there could be a glitch in the new system?

Anyhow, we are excited that she drew the permit and she is filling out the paperwork that Fish and Game sent. She has to pick her preference for dates and they will notify us what 4 day hunt period she gets.

Are there any other hunts allowed in the Youth Hunt area during September?

We are going to use a .243 which she shoots very well. I've used it for caribou and fur critters, but what would be the best weight/type of bullet to use?

I imagine a 95 grn Nos partition at ~3K fps would work handily.

Awesome!!! That is the #1 hunt that I would like to see my nephew win sometime within the next seven years. Success rates are high, the kid will get to see lots of animals, and it's not such a tough hunt that terrain or weather will discourage the kid from enjoying hunting. Very, very cool.

I don't think there is any other hunting allowed in that area during that time period. It is also closed to motorized use, so consider getting your hands on a game cart, bike trailer, or something of the sort. Easy walking, but you could be looking at packing a moose a few miles.

Thanks Lujon.

Brian, when we were hunting that area this winter for bison, I talked to my brother about the possibility of putting his 11 year old daughter in for the hunt, especially since we were seeing an abundance of moose. The terrain is very easy, but you could end up with a pretty long walk, so we've been talking about bikes, and getting a bike trailer. We'll probably go down geared up heavily and end up shooting a moose right at the enterance.

I plan to video, and my brother, dad and possibly my 9 year old will go along. This is definately the hunt I'm looking most forward to this year. It almost seems like with the number of moose in the area, they could offer more than just 10 permits. Maybe that's what they did this year and that is why her name didn't come up on the initial draw. Hopefully your nephew pulls the tag. I'm going to start putting my daughter in now that she'll be old enough, so he'll have a little more competition.

Congrats on the tag!

My daughter uses a .243 as well with 100gr Nosler Partitions. So far they have worked well on her Delta cow moose and a black bear out of PWS. The bear was a complete pass through right side just behind the shoulder and took out the left front shoulder. The moose was just behind the right shoulder and was recovered just under the hide on the left side.

Just got off the phone with Fish and Game and found out the reason why she wasn't on the winners list...

The bio in Delta said that his initial list had the 10 permit winners, which included my niece. He mailed out the packets to the winners, and got a call earlier this week from one other person who said that they didn't draw, but got the paperwork. He called Anchorage and talked to them, and come to find out two of the winners posted did not qualify since they were born in 1955 and 1960. 50 and 55 year old men applying for a youth hunt, he said they must have had a senior moment.

Sydney was the 10th person to draw, so her and the other kid got bumped because of the two people who didn't qualify, but were recorded as winners. He said rest assured, Sydney got the permit. Sweet.

Who is the other kid?? Maybe there is a sliver of hope?

Jerod, you're more than welcome to use my bike trailer. It's only rated to 70 pounds, but you can check it out this summer, and if you like how it handles, you're welcome to borrow it. Not sure if you're in Southcentral, though.

Brian, I appreciate the offer but I'm up in Fairbanks. I think we are going to look at getting both a game cart, and a bicycle trailer. If she shoots a cow, I don't think it would be too difficult to just ride the bike with a full pack frame on, but we'll definately give it a test run before relying on that method!

They said the father of the other kid had already called in with the same issue, so that is how he already knew what was going on before I called. He said the name but I can't remember. There's always next year.