Thread: Is it legal to sell a bear rug??

Default Is it legal to sell a bear rug??

Not mine but a good old friend of mine who lived here for 35 years has a bear rug he doesn't need or have room for anymore. My question is is it legal to sell this item outright? or does he need to get some kind of permit? Thanks for the help guys.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default pretty screwy laws...

but i think rugs can only be sold by a taxidermist, or as part of an estate sale.
    as of this year, green or tanned hides may be sold, but i don't think that the new law includes a rugged hide.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I think Dave pretty much summed it up, but as always you should contact ADFG and/or troopers.

There was an ad on craigslist about 3 weeks ago where a guy was offering a lease of 2 mounted bears. Don't remember the price but it was something like $2000 for a 99 year lease. Could try to play that angle Any armchair lawyers have an opinion on that one?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I think Dave pretty much summed it up, but as always you should contact ADFG and/or troopers.

There was an ad on craigslist about 3 weeks ago where a guy was offering a lease of 2 mounted bears. Don't remember the price but it was something like $2000 for a 99 year lease. Could try to play that angle Any armchair lawyers have an opinion on that one?
    I love it!!! Should be just a legal as the Medicare Divorce that the elders use all the time.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I see bear rugs for sale all the time online...not sure if the sellers have a permit, or actually need one.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

in AK a rug CANNOT be sold unless the taxi is selling it to recoup cost of mounting due to abandonment... you can not leave state with the intention of selling it... but as i was explained by my taxi... if i moved and sold it later in a state that allowed it i could.... but they know the laws better... then there is the estate auctions as dave mentioned.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The short answer is NO! We had a big discussion about this in This Thread

Here is an excerpt of a post by Vince. A bear rug is NOT considered a handicraft.

5 AAC 92.200. Purchase and sale of game

(a) In accordance with AS 16.05.920 (a) and 16.05.930(e), the purchase, sale, or barter of game or any part of game is permitted except as provided in this section.
    (b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031, a person may not purchase, sell, barter, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale or barter:
    (1) any part of a bear, except an article of handicraft made from the fur of a bear;
    (2) a big game trophy;
    (3) a big game animal skull, except the skull of a wolf or wolverine, or a horn or antler that is still attached to any part of the skull;
    (4) the antler of a caribou taken in Unit 23, unless the antler is a naturally shed antler or has been made into an article of handicraft;
    (5) unsealed marten taken in Units 1 - 7, and 15, except as provided in 5 AAC 92.170(a) ;
    (6) unsealed beaver taken in Units 1 - 11 and Units 13 - 17;
    (7) unsealed land otter, lynx, wolf, or wolverine;
    (8) the meat of big game and small game, except hares and rabbits; however, caribou may be bartered in Units 22 - 26, but may not be transported or exported from those units.
    (c) Notwithstanding (b)(2) and (b)(3) of this section, a licensed taxidermist, estate executor, or bankruptcy referee, may sell a skin or trophy by permit issued under 5 AAC 92.031, and the state will, in its discretion, sell a skin or trophy as excess property. A person may purchase and possess an animal skin or trophy sold under this subsection. However, no person may resell a skin or trophy purchased from a seller under this subsection.
    (d) A person who engages in fur dealing, as defined in AS 16.05.940 , and who purchases or acquires, through consignment or barter, the raw skin of a furbearer or fur animal, shall report the transaction to the department on a form provided for this purpose, within 30 days after the last day of the month during which the transaction occurred.
    History: Eff. 7/5/85, Register 95; am 11/1/85, Register 96; am 8/8/87, Register 103; am 7/14/88, Register 107; am 8/20/89, Register 111; am 8/10/91, Register 119; am 5/5/93, Register 126; readopt 5/13/93, Register 126; am 7/1/98, Register 146; am 7/1/2002, Register 162; am 7/1/2003, Register 166; am 7/1/2004, Register 170; am 12/30/2004, Register 172
    Authority: AS 16.05.255
    AS 16.05.258
    AS 16.05.920
    AS 16.05.930

What kind of bear is it? How big? When was it shot?

Can a person donate a green bear hide to a business?

There are bear hides, rugs, etc. for sale all over the internet. Those products are mostly in other states where such sale is legal.
    Residents in other states are respectable and can be trusted to only shoot what they are legally allowed to.................and sell such.
    Alaskans are a different ball game. If allowed to sell bear hides and parts, we would kill every last bear in the state. Just ask your local F&G bio. Ask a trooper. We cannot be trusted to sell certain parts of game animals as we will kill them ALL!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Or the non-residents would come up and kill and sell them all.....

Yep, it is only legal to sell live animals to non residents

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    now that there is funny!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

In that case, I have one not so tame husband and 3 wild as hell kids.....any takers??? haha

Thumbs up

OMG....and....they ain't coming up here and killing them all, either.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~