Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Is it legal to sell a bear rug??

  1. #1
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default Is it legal to sell a bear rug??

    Not mine but a good old friend of mine who lived here for 35 years has a bear rug he doesn't need or have room for anymore. My question is is it legal to sell this item outright? or does he need to get some kind of permit? Thanks for the help guys.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  2. #2
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default pretty screwy laws...

    but i think rugs can only be sold by a taxidermist, or as part of an estate sale.
    as of this year, green or tanned hides may be sold, but i don't think that the new law includes a rugged hide.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  3. #3
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    I think Dave pretty much summed it up, but as always you should contact ADFG and/or troopers.

    There was an ad on craigslist about 3 weeks ago where a guy was offering a lease of 2 mounted bears. Don't remember the price but it was something like $2000 for a 99 year lease. Could try to play that angle Any armchair lawyers have an opinion on that one?

  4. #4

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I think Dave pretty much summed it up, but as always you should contact ADFG and/or troopers.

    There was an ad on craigslist about 3 weeks ago where a guy was offering a lease of 2 mounted bears. Don't remember the price but it was something like $2000 for a 99 year lease. Could try to play that angle Any armchair lawyers have an opinion on that one?
    I love it!!! Should be just a legal as the Medicare Divorce that the elders use all the time.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    I see bear rugs for sale all the time online...not sure if the sellers have a permit, or actually need one.

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    in AK a rug CANNOT be sold unless the taxi is selling it to recoup cost of mounting due to abandonment... you can not leave state with the intention of selling it... but as i was explained by my taxi... if i moved and sold it later in a state that allowed it i could.... but they know the laws better... then there is the estate auctions as dave mentioned.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    The short answer is NO! We had a big discussion about this in This Thread

    Here is an excerpt of a post by Vince. A bear rug is NOT considered a handicraft.

    5 AAC 92.200. Purchase and sale of game


    (a) In accordance with AS 16.05.920 (a) and 16.05.930(e), the purchase, sale, or barter of game or any part of game is permitted except as provided in this section.
    (b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031, a person may not purchase, sell, barter, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale or barter:
    (1) any part of a bear, except an article of handicraft made from the fur of a bear;
    (2) a big game trophy;
    (3) a big game animal skull, except the skull of a wolf or wolverine, or a horn or antler that is still attached to any part of the skull;
    (4) the antler of a caribou taken in Unit 23, unless the antler is a naturally shed antler or has been made into an article of handicraft;
    (5) unsealed marten taken in Units 1 - 7, and 15, except as provided in 5 AAC 92.170(a) ;
    (6) unsealed beaver taken in Units 1 - 11 and Units 13 - 17;
    (7) unsealed land otter, lynx, wolf, or wolverine;
    (8) the meat of big game and small game, except hares and rabbits; however, caribou may be bartered in Units 22 - 26, but may not be transported or exported from those units.
    (c) Notwithstanding (b)(2) and (b)(3) of this section, a licensed taxidermist, estate executor, or bankruptcy referee, may sell a skin or trophy by permit issued under 5 AAC 92.031, and the state will, in its discretion, sell a skin or trophy as excess property. A person may purchase and possess an animal skin or trophy sold under this subsection. However, no person may resell a skin or trophy purchased from a seller under this subsection.
    (d) A person who engages in fur dealing, as defined in AS 16.05.940 , and who purchases or acquires, through consignment or barter, the raw skin of a furbearer or fur animal, shall report the transaction to the department on a form provided for this purpose, within 30 days after the last day of the month during which the transaction occurred.
    History: Eff. 7/5/85, Register 95; am 11/1/85, Register 96; am 8/8/87, Register 103; am 7/14/88, Register 107; am 8/20/89, Register 111; am 8/10/91, Register 119; am 5/5/93, Register 126; readopt 5/13/93, Register 126; am 7/1/98, Register 146; am 7/1/2002, Register 162; am 7/1/2003, Register 166; am 7/1/2004, Register 170; am 12/30/2004, Register 172
    Authority: AS 16.05.255
    AS 16.05.258
    AS 16.05.920
    AS 16.05.930

  8. #8

    Default

    What kind of bear is it? How big? When was it shot?

  9. #9

    Default

    Can a person donate a green bear hide to a business?

  10. #10
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,190

    Default

    There are bear hides, rugs, etc. for sale all over the internet. Those products are mostly in other states where such sale is legal.
    Residents in other states are respectable and can be trusted to only shoot what they are legally allowed to.................and sell such.
    Alaskans are a different ball game. If allowed to sell bear hides and parts, we would kill every last bear in the state. Just ask your local F&G bio. Ask a trooper. We cannot be trusted to sell certain parts of game animals as we will kill them ALL!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Or the non-residents would come up and kill and sell them all.....

  12. #12
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Yep, it is only legal to sell live animals to non residents

  13. #13
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yep, it is only legal to sell live animals to non residents
    now that there is funny!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yep, it is only legal to sell live animals to non residents
    In that case, I have one not so tame husband and 3 wild as hell kids.....any takers??? haha

  15. #15

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yep, it is only legal to sell live animals to non residents
    OMG....and....they ain't coming up here and killing them all, either.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •