Thread: Online fly patterns, akflyfishers.net?

Default Online fly patterns, akflyfishers.net?

I was looking for the tying resources I used last year and I can't seem to locate it.

There was a really comprehensive collection of Alaska flies at akflyfishers.net (I think), but it doesn't look like it's there any more. It was the one that had the "fly of the month" section. Does anyone know where this got moved?

I might just have the wrong address altogether. One of the more unique flies on there was the "Freakazoid," and I'm not having any luck seaching that on google.

Edit: Looks like I was talking about alaskaflyfishers.org, which is now an open domain name. Too bad, I hope someone copied the site before it got pulled.

Its not specific to Alaska, but the flytyingforum.com database is the best I've seen on the web. You can search by species, imitation, type, or keyword.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

MM, try these, don't know if one of these links is the one you are looking for but they both have great pattern recipes.

http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/flybench.htm
    http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/index.html

AK Fly Fishers recently changed their website, and they haven't brought the "fly of the month" back online yet. It was a good resource, so hopefully they'll bring it back soon. It's still the akflyfishers.net I believe.

As for the Freakazoid... basically a big woolly bugger. Hot pink marabou tail. Cerise (purplish pink) chenille body. Chartreuse/flo green hackle. See the attached pic (which I had at some point saved from the akflyfishers.net, so credit to them. I thought it was a interesting pattern as well.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails freakazoid.jpg  
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks guys. The link I was looking for had a lot more super-local creations, but those links will certainly do the trick for now.

This site appears to have pulled some of the flies from the site I was talking about, so at least they're not totally lost:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/fly510.html

edit: Nice, Wyo2ak beat me by a couple of minutes. Thanks for that reply. I am glad to hear that maybe it'll hopefully be back. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of local variations on things that you're just not going to find anywhere else. Like certain types of brassies, that crazy freakazoid bugger, and alot of other stuff. Would hate to see that disappear.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    I was looking for the tying resources I used last year and I can't seem to locate it.

There was a really comprehensive collection of Alaska flies at akflyfishers.net (I think), but it doesn't look like it's there any more. It was the one that had the "fly of the month" section. Does anyone know where this got moved?

I might just have the wrong address altogether. One of the more unique flies on there was the "Freakazoid," and I'm not having any luck seaching that on google.

Edit: Looks like I was talking about alaskaflyfishers.org, which is now an open domain name. Too bad, I hope someone copied the site before it got pulled.
    As Wyo2AK said the AK Fly Fishers changed website address about 6 months ago or so. Lance is working on getting the Fly of the Month database back on line. It is all there, just not linked properly, as I understand it.

AKGrayling is doing the Fly of the Month in the newsletter now and his patterns should be available pretty soon, too. The smolt pattern he did for the newsletter that will be mailed any day now is a good one...
    art