Thread: My first bait stations first hit - Pictures! Questions!

Default My first bait stations first hit - Pictures! Questions!

Yeehaw! I was given a general area by a bowhunter friend as a good place to start looking for a bait site. I went and scouted and picked what I thought looked like a good spot (largely based on what I learned here, thank you very much). Got a late start as I had some things come up, but I set it up on the 15th and took the first load of bait in on the 17th.

Went back in on the 19th to check bait and half my barrel was gone. My camera took some pictures and I got some that turned out pretty nice .

He must have hit the station 2 other times after dark because I have pictures taken in the dark twice (I turned the flash off).

What would you guess as to size. I'm not very good at this game yet, but it looks like a male to me. Is that right?

Also, I turned the flash off as I thought it might spook them. Do you use flash or not? I bought the cheapest camera I could find and it obviously doesn't have infared. It works in the day pretty well though.

I'm pretty excited. I will also post pics of my baitsite sans bear since I think it gets asked often.

Here is what I did based on this forum and a good conversation with blackbear when I picked up my baitem907 stuff.

Older keg, unsure of exact dimensions. Cut a 4.5 inch hole, wasn't sure if I should leave that stem inside or not (so I left it) Filed down the hole edges so it wouldn't chafe mr bear. Chained it to tree using those turnbuckes(??), unsure if that's the right word, but they have two hooks with threaded stems and you turn the metal thing connecting them to tighten the chain.

For bait I followed blackbears advice. I popped a boat load of popcorn, got a large rubbermaid tote and for each batch of popcorn I threw in a few handfuls of the cheapest dogfood I could buy. As I went I would add cheap pancake syrup and at the end I mixed it all up so all the pieces were coated with syrup. Then I stirred in confectioners powdered suger so that it also coated all the pieces. With the suger last, it didn't clump and the whole thing would just pour into a bag in my backpack.

I hung an anise baitem907 bait ball, did a burn with her scent burn, and spread those little gel balls she sells around my baitsite and then to the one surrounding game trail. The bear that came in followed the exact path that I had sprinkled those little balls. I also set up a "Black bear Jolly Rancher" that I got from blackbear.

I used 10 of those screw in tree steps they sell at SW, and put a borrowed rickity old tree stand up. Probably way too far, I'd bet I'm sitting at about 22 or more feet.

Anyway, I'm babbling and the kid's are waking up.

Let me know what you think about that bear.

Default Pictures of the bear

Now all I gotta do is get in there and sit the stand. Right place, right time.

ETA second picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well that looks like a dandy bear. Good coat, and right around the 6' mark. If I were you I'd drop him in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 05-20-2010 at 09:18. Reason: he added pics. changing comment
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Got pics up now. Hit submit without them, then had to resize before posting.

Great job! Guessing a 5'8 sow with a great coat. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Great job! Guessing a 5'8 sow with a great coat. Good luck!!

Yea...sow...a bit over 5' maybe?

Sounds like you set up the bait site perfect! Good luck, hoping you get a shot at a nice bear! Bear baiting is one of my favorite forms of hunting, im hooked, its hard to beat it....

good luck I hope that jolly rancher works for you . glad I could help you.

I was going to guesstimate around 5-5.5'. I could be wrong but looks about the size that my buddy's son got last year.

How far up the tree did you hang the keg?

Looks like a nice bear very nice coat I would say 5.5.

I would say that bear will make great sausage no matter how big it is! Congrats! I sure hope I'm getting hit.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

mmmmmmm...sausage! And homemade hams... and fat juicy ribs dripping into the grill...I can almost hear that sizzle!

Good work on setting up the station! No need to get buck fever when she shows at the same time you're there... the bear knows food is there, likes it, and will get more comfy there the longer its there. Watch her come in, start to lick up a few popcorn kernels, then slowly squeeze one off...

I'm glad i'm fixin' to go eat