Thread: Boat sinks south of Montague Island

Default Boat sinks south of Montague Island

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I was in the sound yesterday and heard the Coast Gaurds call for assistance on this sinking. From what I heard there was only lat and long. given with no mention of Montegue. This was confussing to me, Another vessel responded asking where they were located and I thought I heard the coast gaurd say the south end of Knight Island. Did any body else hear all this? Maybe I missed something or don't understand how these calls are made. Seems like a land reference would be helpfull if a sinking was happening close to land.

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    I was in the sound yesterday and heard the Coast Gaurds call for assistance on this sinking. From what I heard there was only lat and long. given with no mention of Montegue. This was confussing to me, Another vessel responded asking where they were located and I thought I heard the coast gaurd say the south end of Knight Island. Did any body else hear all this? Maybe I missed something or don't understand how these calls are made. Seems like a land reference would be helpfull if a sinking was happening close to land.

You have to consider ADN excellence in reporting....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

you can figure location from lat/long coordinates using a GPS or chart... good things to know if you're gonna be out driving a boat somewhere...

saying "three miles south of montague" is not specific enough... montague is a large island that is approximately 60 miles long end to end...

I was observing CH 16 at the time and it sounded like the mayday was made and the crew abandoned ship to the life raft... most of the info was relayed by the Tia Rose, 10 miles away, as the crew of the abandoned vessel was no longer in radio contact... both the Tia Rose and the Jayhawk heli arrived on scene at the same time...

the crew of the Cape Spencer has lots of collective experience in those waters long-lining for halibut... they knew what they were doing out there and accidents can happen to anyone. just goes to show you that life rafts, EPIRBS, and survival suits are worth the investment. they may even save your life someday.

From what the captain of the Tia Rose told me was they hit the wash rock south of Cape Clear.
    Boatless

Default hand held radio a good chice

The Jayhawk and Tia Rose had to find those guys from their last known coordinates. They did great.
    It dawned on me last year when I heard a MayDay that once you abandon ship and hit the raft your at the mercy of the searchers skills. I have my Icom radio in the boat but if the radios going to the bottom it does me no good. Bought a waterproof Icom and keep it in a pocket in my life vest. If I have to watch the Equilibrium go down I'll do it in my raft while talking to help. It seems the handhelds would sure be a lifesaver in those conditions. It makes sense to have flares and signalling equipment ALWAYS in your life raft as well as the big boat. If your bobbing around in the waves it will sure be comforting to call for help and make sure they can see you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    From what the captain of the Tia Rose told me was they hit the wash rock south of Cape Clear.

Did they hit the 'Obstruction that covers' that is just 0.8 miles off the south of the island?

There was a coast guard broadcast this weekend warning about the wreckage from this. I am wondering if it is not fully submerged.

As to the comments about carrying a radio. I agree with that and a lot more. I carry a full ditch bag, so that the radio, flares, epirb, water and food all go with me if the raft goes in the water. I even take it when just going ashore for a hiking trip. It seems like it would be easy to get stuck if your raft gets cut on a rock or something.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Hand held vhf

I now carry two hand held vhfs aboard in addition to the ship's radio and the one in the ditch bag. At least one always goes ashore with the dingy or shore party. It really would be a bummer to get stuck on some shore for lack of a radio.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Did they hit the 'Obstruction that covers' that is just 0.8 miles off the south of the island?

There was a coast guard broadcast this weekend warning about the wreckage from this. I am wondering if it is not fully submerged.

As to the comments about carrying a radio. I agree with that and a lot more. I carry a full ditch bag, so that the radio, flares, epirb, water and food all go with me if the raft goes in the water. I even take it when just going ashore for a hiking trip. It seems like it would be easy to get stuck if your raft gets cut on a rock or something.
    You can see it on a big minus tide and I think that's the only time you can.
    Boatless