Thread: Upper Kenai Trip Report

Default Upper Kenai Trip Report

I needed a day on a river before heading back to work so my 2 dogs and I floated the Upper Kenai last week from the bridge to Jim's. My kids were in school, my wife passed due to the threatening weather and fact the river was still closed to trout fishing, and everyone else had to work. I was on my own without a shuttle so I opted to use Wildman's shuttle service ($41.20 907-595-1456).

The wind was howling strong enough downstream at the bridge that I opted to run a strap from the boat to my truck while I inlated it. Just as I pushed off, 2 other guys put in and that was the last I saw of them. It was a strange feeling being on the Kenai all alone....not that it's a bad thing.

No big wildlife just lots of ducks. 3 1/2 hrs to Jim's where my truck was waiting. The shuttle is a bit pricey, but factoring in what it costs to bring a second vehicle from Anchorage it's not a big price difference.

The river was still a little on the low side but the Princess rapid was splashy enough to spook my puppy on her first float. She quickly recovered and I then had trouble keeping her in the boat and away from the ducks.

Sounds like a great day on the waters. I use the shuttle when Im floating from the bridge down. It is a "bit" spendy but it beats the time lost shuttling, or the 2nd vehicle driving down. I have never had anything come up missing from my rig and my truck has always been waiting for me. also wildmans will let you store an extra key there in case you happen to lose on on the water.

Water still looks a bit low too. Im sure it will be coming up here in the next couple of weeks to it early summer levels and speed
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Awesome, sounds like you had a good solo trip. And beautiful pups.
    We're planning on doing the same thing this Sunday. It looks like the forecast is getting better the closer we get to the weekend.

We're also hoping to enjoy the solitude of the Kenai before the sockeye run is in full swing

I've never used a shuttle before. How exactly does the Wildman shuttle work? And how far in advance do you call?

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Bandit View Post
    Awesome, sounds like you had a good solo trip. And beautiful pups.
    We're planning on doing the same thing this Sunday. It looks like the forecast is getting better the closer we get to the weekend.

We're also hoping to enjoy the solitude of the Kenai before the sockeye run is in full swing

I've never used a shuttle before. How exactly does the Wildman shuttle work? And how far in advance do you call?

Just stop at wildmans and schedule it. The will ask where your putting in at and where your taking out. Give them the est. time your hitting the water and and when your coming off. I have had them waiting to get my truck as i launch from the bridge before. From what I know my truck is usually at the take out point hours before I come off the river. I have never EVER got to my landing point and not had my vehicle there even during the nut house times. I have left my laptop in my truck, cash in the ashtray and stuff all over and never had a penny or thing come up missing. It might cost a few bucks but it is nice knowing you dont have to hitch back up, wait around or anything. Hit the water, enjoy your day and get your rig and then go to camp and relax. The bridge down is around 40 bucks and sportsmans to jims is 25 or so. They also run to upper skilak too if your running the canyon. Very good people running it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The shuttle has worked as well as alaskachuck described everytime I have used it. The only thing I would recommend is calling beforehand right now. It's still the offseason for a few more week so a simple phone call will make sure they have a driver available.

Call Wildman's @ (907) 595-1456 if you have questions and they will explain everything. I usually just stop by the store prior to the bridge to pay and arrange everything. There are other options though.