Thread: Just got back from an evening bear hunt...

Default Just got back from an evening bear hunt...

Well, we got off work about 5:00PM tonight. We decided we'd take the skiff out and do a short jaunt to see if we could connect on a Brownie. No go on that. Saw lots of sign and tracks but we had to bail out of our spot because of a falling tide and not wanting to get the boat stuck.

We hit up another cove we knew of, hoping to see either a brown or a black. Light was fading quick, it was probably about 9:30PM.

As we entered the cove my partner spotted a bear working a grass hump in the far corner. We could tell it was definately brown, but only got a glimpse so we couldn't tell if it was a brown or a black.

My partner nosed the skiff in to the beach and I hopped off. My plan was to skirt the beach on the tree line, however a brushy creek ruined that for me.

There was a large grass up, then behind it was a small meadow. In the middle of a hump was a large drift log with the roots still in it. I figued if I could make it to the drift log I could stand up on the roots for a good vantage point.

When we had seen the bear it was moving quick, so we figured it was probably gone.

I snuck up the log and much to my surprise I saw the bear in the far end of the meadow feeding and moving quickly towards the trees. Light was fading quick, I eyeballed him real quick and saw he had no rub marks, and was a nice chocolate color.

I was shooting my .308 with 168grn TSXs. I estimated the distance at about 200 yards. I held a little high on his shoulder and squeezed a round off. He instantly jerked and spun around in a circle, then took off running towards some cottonwoods. I had time to squeeze off one more shot as he ran - Unsure of whether or not I hit him.

A few seconds later I heard it, the death moan. It sounded like he made it quite a ways back into the trees. I was quite concerned as it was almost 10:00PM now.

I hollared for my partner to anchor the boat and get in there to help me.

I made my way to the treeline where I had shot him the first time. I was yelling and making noise, I saw no blood. I started to walk to where I saw him enter the woods. Much to my surprise I saw him lying just inside the treeline dead, about 15-20 yards from where I shot the first time.

My partner got there and we drug him out of the woods. He was a beautiful chocolate black bear, probably around 6'. We rolled him on his back to get the skinning process started, thats when we noticed the perfect white flash on his chest, with a smaller white blotch right on his neck. I had never seen a chocolate with this marking before. The best part was not a single rub mark.

We ended up gutting him there, then putting him on a tarp and dragging him across the beach to the boat. When I gutted him I was only able to find one hole, a through and through that took out both lungs and the top of the heart.

Ended up back at the dock at about Midnight. Its now 1:30am as I write this, and I gotta work at 8:00AM....

....What a night...Only in the big AK.

Pictures to follow...

Congrats on the bear sounds like you had a great evening in the great alaska outdoor

Congratulations.......

Default Congrats

Great story. Congratulations on you bear. Sounds like it was a good shot too. You just cannot get a hunting experience like this in Alabama. I am jealous.

So you pulled the trigger on a "brown" bear, not knowing if it was a true "brown bear", that was probably around 6'? You are pretty **** lucky it turned out to be a black bear.

Default So

Skilled or Lucky?

Congrats. I hope the light was good enough for quality field photos.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    So you pulled the trigger on a "brown" bear, not knowing if it was a true "brown bear", that was probably around 6'? You are pretty **** lucky it turned out to be a black bear.

I guess I should of clarified that at the point I decided to shoot it I knew it was a black bear, as I really dont feel like shooting a dink brownie.

Great write-up and congrats on the hunt..

WTG Lunger - post pix ASAP.

Cottonwoods on the beach - huh?

I'm carrying both tags. Brown bear ends today. Didn't see a single one. Didn't try extremely hard tho.

I only made it out last evening for Browns - That was our target, didn't see a single one!

Brown does end today on Admiralty (unit 4), but its still game on the mainland!

The pics we got werent great - I forgot my flash card for my camera, and my buddy snapped a few in the dark, but we didn't have a lot of time to pose the bear well or anything...

Thinking about getting a half mount done to show off the white flash!

Default Way to go

Nice job, and nice write up call me and we can compare details.
    Just picked up a chocolate myself, can't wait for the summer sausage to be done.
    P.s -pix when you get off tonite

Way to go! Sucks that I'm stuck inside until June 6

Default Sorry

I'm sorry to hear the photos flopped. I understand. There have been plenty of times deer hunting when I shoot something in a bad spot or late evening and photos just don't happen.

I almost didn't get a field photo from last years solo goat because I was trying to secure the animal in a tight spot mid cliff. It ended up wedged in a small crack and I struggled to set the self timer and scurry back for a field photo. I didn't get many.

We'll congrats again. If I may ask, how did you skin it for a half mount?

Per the Taxidermist I use (Mike Nizich at Rug N Rak Taxidermy in Juneau, AK)

I cut it just like you do for a rug - 4 cuts, one up each leg, and then one down the middle - I was told just to make sure you leave the pads attached.

Default Good work

I used Mike for my first Brown Bear rug. He's really good with the facial work for sure.

I'm considering him for the current hide I've got, if my fall 09 BB doesn't turn out. He's an alternate on my taxidermy list so-to-speak.

I saw a great goat rug he did once and his full mounts are all over the place.

Thats interesting to me that he would want a ventral cut, I thought for sure a dorsal cut would be easier for displaying an animal with the chest outward.

What do I know..........