Thread: newbie reloader looking for best equipment

Default newbie reloader looking for best equipment

Going to jump in with both feet and get the best equipment I can to learn on,, don't want to upgrade later, so any and all pro's and con's on brands and styles would be appreciated.

Default Ya know what they say

Opinions are like ________... If your looking to just shoot some rifle here and there, I would go with a RCBS rockcrusher, if you are going to shoot a lot, pitsol included I would go with a Dillon Progressive.

Redding dies. Any press will do, I use a Rockchucker myself

I am in the same boat to a point. I had set my sights on a redding turret press but scored a deal on a bunch of used equipment so I am going to start with a rockchucker and miscellaneous other RCBS gear. Honestly I don't know that I will ever "upgrade". I would rather put those dollars into wearing out barrels and making things that go boom.

It sure looks like a fun hobby, I know I have about worn out my crummy satellite internet connection watching all the youtube reloading video's!! I do think I am going to keep track of my expenses to see if I ever do break even. I have 350 buried in it so far and don't have so much as a single primer when it comes to consumables. $350 equates to 103 factory 325WSM cartridges so I got some serious shooting to do to catch up <grin>

thanks for the info,,, BTW my boy just brought me the alaskan 50 you made up for me,,, WOW i love it,, will be back for the scope and light mount as soon as i can afford it (save up enough without the wife knowing it)

I bought the RCBS Master Reloading kit. It has worked out pretty well for me so far.

That said, if I had it to do over again, I would buy a Redding 7 station turret press. Then I would purchase the RCBS chargemaster scale/dispenser, along with the RCBS trim pro case prep center.

I have done exactly what you said you don't want to do. I bought the kit and now I am upgrading.

Way too many choices out there to write a comprehensive treatment. Help us out a little. Narrow your (our) focus.

What cartridges do you plan to shoot? How much per month? What is your purpose in shooting (competition, a search for ultimate accuracy, hunting, etc.)? How much room do you have in which to load? Will you be able to set up permanently or will you be taking down your setup after each loading session? What kind of budget do you have ($200, $500, $1,000) How mechanically inclined are you ( short resume would be helpful-if you are a chemist, engineer, non-technical person; how comfortable are you around light-duty explosives and firearms?)

Thanks for asking our advice. The quality of the advice you get will depend on how well we know you.

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Redding dies. Any press will do, I use a Rockchucker myself
    Another vote for Redding dies, and I too use Rockchucker but would like to try a turret stye someday...
    Forgot to add that I would not want to be wihout my RCBS chargemastr scale/dispenser combo and Forster trimmer, and RCBS case prep center, and a good tumber!!!

Default If you really want the BEST, get a Sinclair catalog from

Brownells. Not inexpensive but the best stuff available.

Default go green..

at least for the dies. Redding or RCBS. I use an old Bonanza/Forester single stage press and like it a lot.
    Was going to go for the Redding turret but the slide in/out of the dies in the Forester makes for real quick die changes and heard only good reports about them. The 'floating' shell holder and dies is supposed to provide better alignment. Least ways that's what they say.

The best? Wilson hand dies, arbor press, K&N tools for priming and neck turning, Sinclair neck measurement tools, Starrett...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

For dies, the best I have found is Neil Jones, leaves all the off the shelf dies in the dust. The vast majority of hand loaders don't have any idea how good custom dies are compared to the mass produced trash they are used to.

For a press I have a bunch of Rockchuckers and Dillon's 1000 and the 1050, custom press by Harrell, that's all I can remember for the moment. I've had a bunch and keep trying to find better. Most presses work vary well. Where a guy should really look is at dies,they make or break you in this reloading game.

http://www.neiljones.com/
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

9mm, 30 luger,30-06,30-30,44 mag,308,45-70,.380,alaskan 50

the more i look i am thinking dillon xl650

You said... "get the best equipment I can..." Why? Do you want precision shooting? If you do, than I found you need to some research on it. The most important components of your reloading kit are the dies. All the rest of it serves its purpose, some a little better or easier than others, but the dies you use are the most important part of loading precision and consistent ammo, and there different types of sizing and seating dies which is where the research comes in. FL bushing sizing dies and competition seating dies are what most precision loaders and shooters prefer. Some prefer neck bushing and body dies to FL bushing dies. If you go with bushing dies, then you really need to trim your necks to do it right

Custom dies are the best and most will say Redding dies are the best off the shelf dies. I just got my Redding Type S FL bushing die and comp seater for my 25-06. I used standard off the shelf RCBS dies for my off the rack Ruger M77 7mm RM and shot an average of about .75 MOA with that.

No need really to get the best unless you have a reason. The average stuff will do fine for hunting inside 500 yds. If you want to compete or get LR precision and accuracy, then get the better than average dies.

Default Rcbs

I agree with MontanaRifleman, if you are just reloading for inside 500 yards or for hunting and targeting shooting for fun, don't buy high end product. RCBS will meet this need and their products can be found at most retailers who carry reloading and they have an excellent customer service department.
    I would recommend RCBS equipment.

Default Dillon 550B's

I have the Dillon 550B's 3 of them, all lined up on the bench, that way when someone says they want to come over and reload, I have the space to get them into the real reloading. They come with quick change heads, so most any pistol or rifle cartridge can be loaded. I also have a Rockchulker, a 50 BMG press, and a couple little RCBS loaders for the shooting bench in the field. If you get bit by the bug you to could have too much equipment. LOL You can Never have to much FUN.

After many years, I have been able to buy what I want, not what I can afford. I use a Redding t-7 turret press , so I can leave dies et-up and play with other stuff. I use a Lee turret press for handgun ammo and .22 Hornet that I neck size. I far prefer the Lee hand primer. I have not primed rifle brass in a press in years.
    Something else to consider, your bench is at least as important as the other gear. I built mine heavy and solid, so that I stand when I load.
    I get better leverage, and it's easier on my back. I can see the measure that way,too.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Bryan