Thread: boat net size?

Default boat net size?

What diameter would you recommend for a boat net if dipping from a zodiac at the Kasilof?

Default Oh man

You're gonna kill 'em with a Zodiac.

Use the full ADF&G legal size hoop:

Default 4' is plenty big.

I use a 4' hoop on the Kenai from a boat and that is plenty big enough to slay em. That and a shorter handle then they use from shore.
    Have tried dipping with a friend who uses a 5' hoop and long handle net and it is a royal pain on the a$%. You had to learn how to duck each time he pulled in a fish and his hoop was just a pain also trying to get the fish out with part of the hoop hanging off of each side and the fish in the middle. 5' hoop takes up too much space in the boat when gettin g a fish out.
    Also you want two nets of the same size and shape one off of each side so they pull evenly on your boat. If one is bigger that the other you will always be pulled to one side.
    Also don't forget your rope to tie them off to the bow of the boat.
    It has worked best for us to have a boat driver who does not dip but only pays attention to driving the boat and watching out for other boats and other hazards.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've used a 5 foot hoop on the Kenai. You do want a short handle. KC is right about steerage problems. The big nets really play hell with boat handling at low speed pointed down stream. And if its crowded, good boat handling is required. So, best to have 2 nets in the water set to oppose each others forces on the boat. Experiment with the set up and make sure the coxswain understands the dynamic.

Default Ditto

Ditto shorter pole length and designated non-fishing driver. We've also included a designated net picker on a team of four when things were smoking hot; 1 driver, 2 netters, 1 picker in the bow.

~tr

Default 4 foot

I have a 4 foot by Mikes and plan to use only the short handle...

not sure how I am going to tie it off to my zodiac for the Kasilof but we'll figure it out.

With the small footprint of the zodiac (15'-5") I would not want to run 2 nets with 2 people plus driver. I think that one net with 2 people and one driver with the big cooler in the middle is more than enough stuff in my small footprint.

I will launch with the wheels.

The only issue I see is with the scales - I guess that reds aren't so bad - but I still have silver scales left on the boat from last august and I washed it three times last fall, 303'd it, and washed it again this spring plus had it out on the salt....still find a scale now and then.

i am thinking that I will just leave the scales on it - might help protect the ole zodiac a bit.......LOL.

Default Going with one net?

HOw are you going to keep the boat going straight? It won't happen. Two people side by side works well. Just keep the handles in front of each other when you go to pick a fish from the net. My first time at Kasilof, Buddy had a 15 foot zodiac and it works great with even 2 or 4 sitting abreast of each other. Just a little faster than the current is all you need.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default 1 person fishing

With one person fishing, you tie a sturdy bucket to a line running to the bow on the opposite side of the boat from the net. With two on board and one fishing, this is a proven method, albeit a bit complicated.

It's also possible to drive/fish with only one on board a small boat; you just crab the boat cattywampus and don't worry about keeping the bow straight with your line of travel. Of course, risk for disaster goes way up and you need your radar scanning all sectors using this method.

Default Tying off nets to a Zodiac's bow

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    not sure how I am going to tie it off to my zodiac for the Kasilof but we'll figure it out.
    I've seen Zod's with a hunky pole lashed across the beam forward near the bow. Line to your net attaches to a sturdy ring or 'biner on both ends of the pole.

~tr

I will probably go with a 4 foot then. No way am I willing to mess with my 5 footer in my boat, especially 2 of them. Already got short handles, just the 4 foot net.

thanks