Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Trail Cam Router ?

  1. #1
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default Trail Cam Router ?

    Are they practicle? Do they work up here? How much is the service to run one, monthly I assume? Are they cellular or GPS? Don't plan on getting one. Although it would be nice not to drive to check the bait, and still see bears hitting it. Main reason for me would be to see the bait though. BBLs are white and bait level showes through. My dad seen them on TV or Cabelas. Just wanting some first hand experience in AK, if any.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Thanks for the link. It jogged my memory! I bought my dad the I-65 for Christmas. It must have had the accessories listed on the back, and or cabelas. The site didn't list a activation fee or monthly fee. Just that it used AT&T. Not sure if they have good cell reception in unit 7. Was just curious is all if anyone has used one up here. Kinda spendy though. Seems like you would need the solar power pack option too.

  4. #4

    Default

    I have AT&T and hunt in 7... it is not very good at all down there. It would suck to buy one then not work down there. So you getting any hits down in 7

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Here is another company that has a cellular cam.

    https://www.smartscouter.com/ssDefault.aspx

    The site has the pricing plans listed on it.

  6. #6
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Wow, that would be great to have that! I was just thinking about this lately too. Wish I could afford that. I have decent cell service at my stand, now that I got an Android I can cruise the forums in my tree lol. But I'm curious as well about the practicality of this.

  7. #7
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Most of them work on cell bands.... unfortunately service is sketchy off road system..

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    31

    Default

    If anyone knows of a remote TC that does not require cell signal, please let me know. A monthly fee is surely cheaper than the fuel it cost to check on a bait station, not to mention my time.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    27

    Default Remote Cameras

    Hello,

    The cameras work well, need a cell phone signal, and a monthly fee is required, we use them in the lower forty eight for deer.

    Worth the money in time saved and gas alone can't get it to work in the area I bait in though....

    Lots of bears but no cell phone coverage..I'll take the bears :-)

  10. #10
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    I have AT&T and hunt in 7... it is not very good at all down there. It would suck to buy one then not work down there. So you getting any hits down in 7

    We were hit last last week. Checked on friday and had a few pics, camera batteries were about dead. One big ole pig hitting! One other pic of new born cub, never had that before. I suspect it was last wed. or so it was hit. Pics were sunny and then dark with the big boy. Time and dates were all wacky cause the batteries were dead.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    EAFB, AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobdabuildr View Post
    Here is another company that has a cellular cam.

    https://www.smartscouter.com/ssDefault.aspx

    The site has the pricing plans listed on it.
    That's a great link (thanks for posting). I was just telling the wife, with technology the way it is, it sure would be nice to have something like this. I guess i'll have to wait 'till i get to AR to try this out on some bears

  12. #12
    Member elkmasterwyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SW Wyoming
    Posts
    98

    Default smart scouter

    i will be recieving my smart scouter in the mail tomorrow, i will see how it works, they sold me an extended range antenna also, they say it really helps in areas with spotty service, also they have a 30 day money back if you cannot get service with it where you want it. i'll let you know how it works

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    EAFB, AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    i will be recieving my smart scouter in the mail tomorrow, i will see how it works, they sold me an extended range antenna also, they say it really helps in areas with spotty service, also they have a 30 day money back if you cannot get service with it where you want it. i'll let you know how it works
    It doesn't look like the state has any coverage on their site. Do they know where you're using it?

    Keep us posted

  14. #14
    Member elkmasterwyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SW Wyoming
    Posts
    98

    Default

    I am planning on putting it on my most remote bait, it is about two miles in and about 1000 feet of elevation gain, its quite remote. I got the gps coordinants the other day and typed them in on their map, it has a SPOT, litterally maybe 500sqare yards that is directly over my bait. i didn't even think it'd work, but called smart scouter anyways, the guy was way nice about it and told me that AT&T's coverage map has a 99% acccuracy rate with them, and then told me about the 30 day money back if i can't get the service there. So it should be in this afternoon, i'll get her activated and see how it works and get back to everyone.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    EAFB, AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    I am planning on putting it on my most remote bait, it is about two miles in and about 1000 feet of elevation gain, its quite remote. I got the gps coordinants the other day and typed them in on their map, it has a SPOT, litterally maybe 500sqare yards that is directly over my bait. i didn't even think it'd work, but called smart scouter anyways, the guy was way nice about it and told me that AT&T's coverage map has a 99% acccuracy rate with them, and then told me about the 30 day money back if i can't get the service there. So it should be in this afternoon, i'll get her activated and see how it works and get back to everyone.
    Excellent to hear, Good luck!

  16. #16
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Redneck Cam
    My intuition tells me someone will duct tape a laptop in a tree and watch from home. Cam to Cam.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    EAFB, AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Redneck Cam
    My intuition tells me someone will duct tape a laptop in a tree and watch from home. Cam to Cam.
    Man, why didn't i think of that!!

    Think they sell ziploc big enough so the water doesn't get to my laptop?!

  18. #18

    Default

    I have a hard time accepting that this practice falls under sport HUNTING. Sport Shooting maybe, Sport Killing maybe, I don't see much of the classic definition of "HUNTING" in this practice. I seems to me if people are TOO busy with life to "HUNT" then they need to evaluate whether they want to be hunters.........or high-tech executioners.

    Don't get me wrong I am 100% for hunting. But this looks more like assassination than hunting. Why not have a set-gun at your bait station that you can fire by remote computer.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    EAFB, AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Why not have a set-gun at your bait station that you can fire by remote computer.
    There's all kinds of GREAT ideas on this FORUM!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •