Thread: biggest black bear

Default biggest black bear

what is the record for a black bear hide? boone and crockett only looks like they only measure skulls. i think of a 7 foot blackie to be kinda big. what do you guys think?

Default 7+

I have on one the wall that is 7' 2" and another around 7'. But footage is only one measurement. I used to live in upstate New York. A pastime near hunting camp was to go to the dump in Old Forge. We were at the dump one evening watching about 6-8 black bears when the Red Sea parted. A rough looking old sow, ears torn, belly dragging had entered the dump looking for the fresh meal of the day. My best guess on her weight, and I have pictures of her back in NY, would be 800 - 900 pounds. I know massive!! But she was a dump bear, not harassed, in a non-hunting area.

There have been several taken back east in the 800 - 700 pound range. One in North Carolina that was 880.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave is right! some the largest black bears come out of the east coast, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Saw a picture and an article some years back (think it was Field and Stream or Outdoor life) of a black bear taken somewhere near the Adirondacks at some lake lodge and the bear weighed around 800-900 pounds.

yea those bears in the east may be big and fat, but i bet they'd get their asses kicked by Alaskan bears

I don't know what it squared, but last fall a friend of a friend took one up in Maine that tipped the scales at 830. That is one dang big bear, but I've heard of bigger and as stated they all seem to come from the East coast, must be the toxic waste.

skull size and weight are not exactly related. i have killed three bears in the desert of arizona. all three had 19+ skulls with weights IMO 300-400 pounds and around 6'.

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    skull size and weight are not exactly related. i have killed three bears in the desert of arizona. all three had 19+ skulls with weights IMO 300-400 pounds and around 6'.

Thats because they burned up all their fat runnin' across the border....

Default Over 8'

I have one that goes over 8' and hit the scales at over 500lbs from PWS and a friend of mine got one above Tustemena Lake that went over 8' and was closer to 800lbs. He's a master guide and has looked at a lot of bears and finally took one for himself. I probably looked at 2,000 bears before I took that one.

Default Bear

My biggest is 7 9'at around the 450 -500 pound mark

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    above Tustemena Lake
    There are some monsters back there for sure. Judging from what I saw last year. Biggest black bears I've seen outside of Southeast Alaska are back in those mountains.

I was watching Steve's outdoor adventures last night online and there is an episode about hunting black bears on Queen Charlotte Islands just south of POW. He mentioned that on average the bears taken there square over 7' with 20" skulls minimum. There are some monsters in upper B.C. and S.E. AK.

Default Avg.

I was told by a bio while inquiring into Kuiu that the average skull size comming off that island is 18.5".

My friend took a nice boar in the fall of 07 that was in the 18" range and he was told by the bio it was the largest taken that fall.

So far rumor around Sitka is a few 20" skulls have been pulled off Kuiu this spring. I can't confirm the numbers, it's all locals talking up the resource.

My boss, shot a dandy off POW with a 19 and 12/16" skull with a pistol recently. She's having it rugged out.

There was an article in the newspaper in Nothern Ontario Canada, that a bear was hit by a transport truck and it was weighed by the Ministry of natural resourses and it weighed 760 lb and the article said it was not particularly fat for its size.