Thread: Lures on Upper Kenai

Default Lures on Upper Kenai

Are you allowed to (havent checked the regs) to use lures on the upper kenai. All i ever hear is about fly fishing, and what flys to use. I enjoy using ultra light gear and would love to get some big bows or dollies on some vibrax or mepps. Thanks for any info. And if you can has anyone really tried and how was your luck.

Fly fishings so much better

You should really read those regulations.

was just sitting at home wondering.......

Single hook only in the non fly water until August 1st

Yes, it is possible to catch dollies & rainbows on small spinners in the Upper Kenai area (not in the fly fishing only area). There are some folks that also like to fish small plugs as well.

Think SMALL but a Kastmaster or any spinner/spoon that imitates a salmon smolt will work at times. There is also a spinner called a teeny nymph which has a silver blade, brown nymph body that is deadly...

When we are casting spinners in the middle Kenai for silvers during the fall it is pretty common to catch a few dollies & bows on a daily basis. We are using a size five vibrax so I would think that if we went to a smaller size like a #3 that we would catch trout more consistently.

The Upper Kenai is single hook only for the entire open season June 11 - May 1 for what it is worth.

Default Read the regs, please. Pages 50 and 51.

Yes, lures are legal to use on the upper river and they have to have a hook gap of 3/8" or less single hook. A lot of guides back troll small plugs in the early season for bows. Remember that in the fly fish only zone beads and artifical lures are not allowed. For beads to be legal they must be attached to the fly/hook and not on the line/leader/tippet. As for when the fly fish only zone end date is, it is 08/20/2010. The fly fish zone is bank to bank from the sanctuary to the marker at the powerlines. No one needs a ticket to mess up a good fishing day. Tight lines.

You have to be a bit careful about what is or isn't legal in a general area such as "the upper Kenai" because it differs depending on exactly where on the "upper Kenai" you're talking about. If you're fishing in the "fly fishing only" area you'll get in serious trouble if you're using anything but a "fly". Here's the link to the ADF&G regulations for the Kenai: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...al/SCkenai.pdf

It's in PDF format and you can just download it to your computer. That way you can just look it up when you have a question. I think a judge might get a little chuckle out of a defendant saying as their defense, "Well someone on a fishing forum told me it was OK to do it!"
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Every post on this thread except (for the 2nd) says that lures are not legal in the fly fishing only area. Pretty much every post also said to check the regs beforehand.

Not sure were you (Muttley) are getting that someone on this forum suggested differently.

Very early in the morning and/or late in the evening trout will often be in real shallow water when smolt are out-migrating. Excellent time to fool them with a flash of a spinner/spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Not sure were you (Muttley) are getting that someone on this forum suggested differently.
    Look. I'm getting really tired of people misconstruing what I have to say or reading into what I say things that aren't there. And it seems like it's the same people over and over.

All I was doing was pointing out that you have to read the regulations very carefully and that there are different areas. That's all. I did NOT suggest that anyone said any differently. Even people that have lived here all their life have trouble figuring out the regs sometimes. A blanket statement like "Yes, lures are legal to use on the upper river..." could very well be misleading to some people. I realize that "akriverman" then goes on to say that, "Remember that in the fly fish only zone...", which seems to qualify things, but for someone that doesn't realize there are areas where lures aren't legal this could be misleading. And what you said never actaully differentiates the fact that not ALL of the "upper Kenai" is lure legal. You made a statement stating that there is a fly fishing area, but you also state that lures are legal on "the upper Kenai" which is not entirely true. I just wanted to help someone that didn't seem to know. All I'm trying to do it keep it straight for those that don't know. Why is that so difficult for you to absorb? Not argumentative, caustic, off the subject, incendiary or taking anyone to task.

I'm also curious why you don't attack the people that told the guy to read the regs. That's essentially all I was doing in so many words. It's a pretty simple thing for most people to understand and I'm not quite sure why you have to attack me for helping point out what is and isn't proper.Give it a break. Now I'm going to catch **** for being argumentative when once again all I was trying to do is help.

Default Kenai lake to the mouth.

Hi Mutley, good idea to add the pdf link to the fishing regs. But just answering the original question about lures on the upper Kenai, I hoped that the questioner would take the time to read the regs for that part of the river. But with the exceptions of the Moose river and the upper Kenai/Russian river being the only fly fishing only zones for the Kenai river, artifical lures single hook are good for the entire year--except for the May 2 to June 10 all fishing closure, of course. Tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    But just answering the original question about lures on the upper Kenai, I hoped that the questioner would take the time to read the regs for that part of the river.
    That was my point too. I dunno how many times I've overheard anglers who were being cited that they didn't know what the regs were for the area they were fishings.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Hi Mutley, good idea to add the pdf link to the fishing regs. But just answering the original question about lures on the upper Kenai, I hoped that the questioner would take the time to read the regs for that part of the river. But with the exceptions of the Moose river and the upper Kenai/Russian river being the only fly fishing only zones for the Kenai river, artifical lures single hook are good for the entire year--except for the May 2 to June 10 all fishing closure, of course. Tight lines.
    I thought that was what I was doing too. Not to be disparaging, and I saw that you told the guy where to find the specific regs, it was just that to me what you said sounded confusing and those regs for that area are confusing enough. I just wanted to try to clarify something that sounded confusing to me and could have been potentially confusing for someone else, and also reiterate the most important thing of all---get a copy of the regs and read them thoroughly. Then if you have a question about something that sounds confusing to you ask for clarification on that. FISH ON!