Thread: Outboard won`t 'pee'

Default Outboard won`t 'pee'

1994 Mercury 115

Just opened it up and found some creative plumbing in the lower unit. Prior owner ran a chunk of hose with clamp from the pump/impeller up. I installed a complete pump kit with all new fitting components. Fired it back up with the entire lower unit in water (barrel) and still nothing. Checked the tubing for obstruction from the cylinder head out and it`s clear. What could I be missing?? I`m stumped and disappointed to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.

On some engines the impeller can be installed backwards. The witness tube or pee tube can get plugged up with junk. Often when the old water pump fails small pieces of rubber can get stuck in passages or the thermostat. If the pee tube is plugged I take a small length of stainless steel wire and make a loop and twist it tight. I attach that to a drill and very carefully run the wire into the tube.

Good luck

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    On some engines the impeller can be installed backwards. The witness tube or pee tube can get plugged up with junk. Often when the old water pump fails small pieces of rubber can get stuck in passages or the thermostat. If the pee tube is plugged I take a small length of stainless steel wire and make a loop and twist it tight. I attach that to a drill and very carefully run the wire into the tube.

Good luck

Steve
    I have used the same trick with the wire. It's a good one too. But I never use stainless wire, just whatever is loaded in the Lincoln wire feed at the time. I don't think you can install the impeller backwards on that particular Merc as (if I remember right) only one side of the impellor has a spot that slides over the key making it idiot proof. Maybe I am remembering wrong though. No matter, it is good to have all bases covered.

The creative plumbing bugs me. Why? Was it because no water was getting into the top end? Or, was it because they plumbed some hot water for the rinse down? Who knows I guess. But I suspect they did it for a logical reason. And probably because they absoluetly had to which means the main pipe is probably plugged solid.....I hope not.

Let us know what you find.

In a pinch you can try this to clear the whitness tube. Take a 1 or 2 liter empty bottle, fill it with water, put over tube and squeeze fast and hard. I have cleared mine several times.

Mike

The 'witness tube' is clean from cylinder head out of the cowling. I think the tube up from the pump was a field repair for lost or damaged fitting. In the kit they had different fittings and tried all for good fitment before reinstallation. The only thing I can think of that could be wrong with the impeller is it`s vains' direction...they have to be folded in one direction for fitment. I suppose I could tear it all back down and pop it out and flip it but I`m sceptical that it would change anything.

BTW, the impeller in there looked to be in new condition...I was just going to change it out for a piece of mind.

A little dish soap works great to lube the pump to make installing it easier. When I say backwards I mean the fingers pointed in the wrong direction, they will sometimes correct themselves and sometimes not. When incorrect it does cause poor water flow and overheating.

Steve

My 115 Zuki has a plug on the jet between the grease line where I hook up a water hose for brief runs. Do you have this?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    A little dish soap works great to lube the pump to make installing it easier. When I say backwards I mean the fingers pointed in the wrong direction, they will sometimes correct themselves and sometimes not. When incorrect it does cause poor water flow and overheating.

Steve
    Guess I`ll give the flip of the impeller a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    My 115 Zuki has a plug on the jet between the grease line where I hook up a water hose for brief runs. Do you have this?
    No, sure don`t...darn older motors. I tested it with the bunny ears and didn`t feel I was supplying enough so I switched to the barrel for total coverage.

Sorry Man... I am stumped. Totally. Please let us know what you find.

Mike

Can you blow it out with compressed air to see if you are getting any flow through the tube and out the spout? What kind of shape is the water pump housing in? It only takes a couple of small (and I mean small) grooves and it won't pump properly.

I just replaced the water pump on my kicker and had a similar problem. Turns out the shop gave me the wrong size impeller. Make sure it fits tight on the drive shaft and spins in the right direction as Stid said. After that I'd try blowing backwards through the pee line to see if air comes through. Its got to one or the other I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    1994 Mercury 115

Just opened it up and found some creative plumbing in the lower unit. Prior owner ran a chunk of hose with clamp from the pump/impeller up. I installed a complete pump kit with all new fitting components. Fired it back up with the entire lower unit in water (barrel) and still nothing. Checked the tubing for obstruction from the cylinder head out and it`s clear. What could I be missing?? I`m stumped and disappointed to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ran a rubber hose to where? My Mercs had rigid metal tubes between the water pump and power head. Whenever I'd drop a lower unit or jet one of the frustrating tasks was to align the tube into the water pump so I could seat the
    Shaft spines completely and torque to bolts. And if I pulled the rigid tube free from the power head it was a real treat to get it reinserted. I can't picture how a rubber tube could possibly be fitted between the pump outlet and the power head considering how my motors came apart and went back together.

I agree with Mr Pid, Stick with the rabbit ears, almost should be able to force the water though there with them, if that TUBE is hooked up right. Also as was said ,check the direction of the impeller finns, and there not bent the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Ran a rubber hose to where? My Mercs had rigid metal tubes between the water pump and power head. Whenever I'd drop a lower unit or jet one of the frustrating tasks was to align the tube into the water pump so I could seat the
    Shaft spines completely and torque to bolts. And if I pulled the rigid tube free from the power head it was a real treat to get it reinserted. I can't picture how a rubber tube could possibly be fitted between the pump outlet and the power head considering how my motors came apart and went back together.
    They had a chunk of rubber hose clamped to the pump housing and onto a copper pipe that inserts up into the shaft. I had the right coupler for the pump in the kit and made sure of fitment from the pump up into the motor...tight fit to say the least. It was kinda butchered.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    I agree with Mr Pid, Stick with the rabbit ears, almost should be able to force the water though there with them, if that TUBE is hooked up right. Also as was said ,check the direction of the impeller finns, and there not bent the wrong way.
    I`m going to flip the impeller tonight if mother nature will let me...it was blowing 70mph last night and hailing.

I`ll also try to run some 1/4" thread stock up into the cooling oriface to see if there is salt clogging the journals.

Will report back tonight.

Flipping the impeller won,t do anything, that will not change the direction of the finns,When pull this apart, note the way the shaft turns, I used to draw a arrow on pump housing with a marker, Take the 4 bolts out that hold the housing bring it up just enough to clear the finns, Now the impeller will be off center, or smashed on one side, so turn the shaft and push the housing down same time, That should put the blades in the right direction. Also take a peek at that bottem plate of the pump housing make sure it is flipped the right way to catch the water flow.If i remember right it had a certain groove in also.for the water flow. Put the tube in power head first, and little vasaline around the rubber coupler thing you talked about. Also grease the splined drive shaft that goes into power head there should be o ring there to. If that couple part to housing chewed up check to make sure isn,t a pc, of it acting like a flap to close water flow. All i can think of now. Lets know what you find

Thumbs up It`s alive and...

It`s pee`n again!

Pulled it all down to double check everything...

Probed the pipe going up and heard metal so I figured it wasn`t full of salt and there was no debris falling out...good stuff. Triple checked the the gaskets, splines, key and impeller. Swapped the impeller to run the other direction and bolted it all back together and greased everything that moves. Fired it up in the barrel and it took about out a minute to build up to it but it has a hearty stream coming out now. I was like a little happy schoolgirl for a couple minutes there.

Thanks everyone very, very much for the assistance with this...it was truly bumming me out and I had never pulled a lower unit before so that stressed me out too.

Now, to replace the fuel filter and filler neck gasket and she`s lake bound for a shake down!!!

Thanks again everyone.