Thread: Kevlar stock for my 375HH, Am I Nuts?

Default Kevlar stock for my 375HH, Am I Nuts?

Maybe not a fair question . . .

I actually don't have any plans to go to Alaska soon, but I figured you guys would be the ones most likely to be familiar with the 375 H&H.

Here's my question: I have a Winchester 70 Safari Express in 375. I've always loved it and have had good luck shooting moose, wild boar and that sort of thing with it. It still has the express sights, but also has a 3x9 scope in Leupld QD rings. It's a great all around hunting rig for moose, pigs, black bear, etc. It's even not that bad for deer. But it's heavy -just a bit under 10 pounds. The stock itself is 3 pounds, so I thought I might trim some wieght off of it by getting one of Brown Precisions "Pounder" (meaning 1 pound) kevlar/graphite stocks. I anticipate this gun's having a hard life anyway, so a synthetic stock might wear better than a nice piece of walnut.

But I'm curious about a couple of things. First, whether anyone has experience with this kind of stock, or suggestions as to others that I might try. I'd like the gun without the scope to be no more than about 7.5 pounds, so a heavy synthetic stock wouldn't do me any good. Anything over about 1.25 pounds would be out. Second, would this gun just beat me to death weighing that little? The gun has never kicked that badly, but I'm sure part of that is that it weighs so much. I'm not that sensitive to recoil, so I don't mind it getting a bit worse. But I also don't want a gun that's truely unbearable.

Thanks,

Ben

Hey Ben

I had a kevlar stock on my 458Lott. I had the stock made by wildwestguns. My rifle weighed a tad over 7lbs (no scope or ammo). Great for carrying, but will knock the snot out of you on the bench (I'm sure the 375 will have the same results on the bench). Hunting conditions, firing it was a dream. I wouldnt hesitate to go kevlar again for a big boomer.

Thanks Blink. Glad to hear you were happy with it. I think I'll go ahead and do it. I've always liked the gun, but that heavy, kind of nice walnut stock has always struck me as a liability. I would cry if it got really banged up. And at 10lbs the whole thing is just a bit too much of a workout. My goal for this gun is to make it light and keep a lightweight scope on it, hoping that at the end the whole thing will still be under 8lbs.

I guess it doesn't matter how much it hurts off the bench. I'm trying to break myself of the habit of doing so much of my shooting from the bench anyway. I'm guilty of making my guns shoot 1/2" groups, but then never bothering to practice from field positions. Not a good thing.

Ben

Default Synthetic Stocks

Check out McMillan's options too if you haven't already.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...g?brandid=1546

Default kevlar on 375 H&H

I have a kevlar scope on my winchester classic in 375 H&H. I had the whole rifle complete done over to lighten it up. The barrel contour was turned down for a lighter profile and chopped at 20". Then it was mounted in a ultralight kevlar stock with quick detach talley rings with 1.5-5 illuminated VxIII. I went with the brockmans pop up peep site bases. Overall its an excellent package for big game hunting. It shoots plenty flat with 270gr bullets for 300+ shooting and at 6lbs 4oz without the scope its quick to point and easy to carry. Loaded with the scope it weights just over 7lbs. Offhand isn't bad but extended bench sessions can get uncomfortable. If I take my time and spread it out I'm good for around 20 shots from a bench in a given day. I hunted with my Winchester at its original weight of about 10lbs and after slogging around thigh deep water in a pair of waiders all day calling moose in the swamps I was almost willing to just leave it out there. Now at its lighter weight I'll carry it up mountains all day without even noticing it. The rifle that is, climbing mountains all day gets your attention quickly!

My Sako AV 375 has a Borden Rimrock stock. They can make it just about as light or as heavy as you request. Great quality

Wink Borden stock

The nice thing about Jim's stocks is that they are so cheap....like his rifles!

I have a kevy stock on my christensen 300rum w/o brake. it says 67ft/lbs recoil. from the bench it sux bad! on the mountain it is just another gun, a really light pleasure to cary gun. I never notice the recoil in the field.

I had a cheap stock before this one, it was 11oz. heavier and the design made it feel like a lot harded kicking setup. stock design is pretty important.

My .375 has a McMillian stock with a Pacmyer (sp?) Decellerator pad on it. Its pretty light and extended bench sessions do get my attention but the rifle is a lot lighter that it was. So I second 7STW's suggestion.