Thread: in brush country is following scope better or worse

Default in brush country is following scope better or worse

Red dot scope or Low fixed power scope for big game hunting in deep forrest woods ..

My basic question is this ..in the short ranges that the Alaska forrest haves is better to use a low power scope mounted on your rifle or a aimpoint red dot scope -x2.power on the rifle for close range shooting in the bush for shots less than 100 yards for large big game hunting..

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    Red dot scope or Low fixed power scope for big game hunting in deep forrest woods ..

My basic question is this ..in the short ranges that the Alaska forrest haves is better to use a low power scope mounted on your rifle or a aimpoint red dot scope -x2.power on the rifle for close range shooting in the bush for shots less than 100 yards for large big game hunting..
    Iron Sights

the reason i why i ask was i need glass for basic everyday wear now and i really want somthing that would help me in a fast moveing shot if i have to take a second shot on the animal

I have tried other setups for sighting a rifle and continue to prefer scopes in most situations (driving rain being a notable exception). So long as the scope has the ability to turn to 4X or lower I have no trouble using it in close cover situations. IMO this is not a right or wrong question. It is somewhat like asking which is prettier, blue or brown eyes, blond or brunette?

I'd select whatever you are most comfortable shooting (irons, scope, or red dot) and practice for the scenarios you expect.

Default My 2cents...

I agree with 1Cor, you have to be the one that likes your set up.
    I have nothing against red dot scopes, however I have always stayed with conventional scopes when hunting.
    Maybe black bear hunting over bait in a dark woods then a red dot would be supurb. However, I have shot more than one behind the ear over bait with standard scope - no tracking or second shot needed!
    I have had many reasons to turn the power to max on the scopes I use to view something and then turn it back to the lowest setting while I hunt. It is a handy option to have, with that said I really like 2 x 7 x 33 or 3 x 9 x 40 scopes.

I go with peep sights everytime

Default Brush

I used to do a lot of deer hunting back East in heavy cover. A low powered scope, 1 - 2.5X always worked best. They do gather some light.

Anything with a battery, no.....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Much as I love my peep sights, I'm quick to admit that I like the Leupold 1.5x5 scope just as much. When it rains though, the scope stays home and I take a rifle with a peep. When I'm on remote hunts, I always carry a spare rifle into camp as a "backup" for the party. It's got a peep sight because in fact, I have it along so I can switch away from the scope if the weather sours. Sure we have a backup in camp, but I get first dibs on which of my two rifles is the backup on which day.

thank you for info there ..i just wondering for my girl friend dad email me a picture of him and her in the brush and she was standing next to the tree and 10 ft back it was like night in the middle of the day ..that why i was asking about the diff style of sights for the deep woods ..

Iron sights aren't great for some of the low light conditions that one can encounter in heavily wooded areas. If iron was a must I'd look at fiber optic/tritium sights. Red dots are fine I guess. Illuminated would show up well in a dark environment. My choice would be a low power variable. 1-4, 1.5-6, or 2-7. Keep the scope on the lowest setting at all times. Then you still have the "higher" power if a situation calls for it. My experience has been if you need the higher power you usually have time to crank it up. The reverse is not usually so. 2 cents.

Brett

Brett you going to replace a fine moon beam front with fiber optics

I find that there is no disadvantage to having both on the same rifle. I do know how to peal off the 1.5-5 scopes on my rifles and use the factory iron sights, so far I haven't had to do that yet, but I can. Yes you can do anything you desire to make your iron sights into anything that works for you and still have a scope.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Brett you going to replace a fine moon beam front with fiber optics
    For someone serious about hunting in a low light area like dense forrests with open sights it might be a practical solution. Sacrolidgious, but practical. The only two rifles I own with iron sights are a .375 and 500/450 NE. Both are dangerous game rifles and both have traditional express sights.

Brett

Default Dark!

Henry,
    You think it looks dark in the picture just wait till your knee deep in the bush and the sun sets - can be a real "gut check" for newbies!
    Staying calm and being 100% sure of your target cannot be overstated - whatever you do DON'T shoot at anything otta fear of the unknown....

Hmmm...for what you are talking about I would take a serious look at the Trijicon scopes in the 1-4X range. They have a lighted reticle but do not require batteries, and the triangle reticle seems like it would be really fast in close cover. I am leery of anything battery powered. And iron sights, IMO, are the worst for low light, especially a peep. And I personally believe irons are actually slower to use than a scope, contrary to popular opinion, because you have to worry about lining 3 things up (target, front sight, rear sight) versus simply lining up scope crosshairs and target which are essentially in the same plane.

My two pennies...

I've got an EOTech XPS sight with a flip-away 3X multiplier. I know batteries aren't always a good idea, but I've had no issues and if the military uses them...

I've used the set-up on a few different guns with all good results. Getting in a Howa in .375 Ruger and thinking of trying it on that.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I would also second the Trijicon advice. They are Awesome scopes.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default agree

[QUOTE=c04hoosier;739215 I am leery of anything battery powered. And iron sights, IMO, are the worst for low light, especially a peep. And I personally believe irons are actually slower to use than a scope, contrary to popular opinion, because you have to worry about lining 3 things up (target, front sight, rear sight) versus simply lining up scope crosshairs and target which are essentially in the same plane.
    :[/QUOTE]

Hi Henry, I agree with these comments. I've done a lot of cowboy action shooting back east, which all open sights, BUT, I hunt with a scope. After practicing plenty you will find the target is right there with a scope. As they said, "low power." Also, the light gathering really helps in dense areas. Relying on a battery operated system probably is fine, but what if....?

I know batteries aren't always a good idea, but I've had no issues and if the military uses them...
    True, the Aimpoints are battery powered, but to a soldier/sailor/airman/marine, they all have backup irons, just in case.