Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafloor Maps

Default Seafloor Maps

What is the best chart/map that shows bottom contour of Resurrection Bay and surrounding areas, and where do you purchase them?

Electronic or paper?

If electronic the answer is "that depends" on which chartplotter you're using.

If paper you can go down to West Marine on diamond and find the area you're looking for. I'm sure there are other places in town to buy them from, but thats where I found mine.
    - Also, if you get a paper chart, go over to Kinkos or the like to have it laminated as soon as you buy them. They'll last 100 times longer than a bare paper chart.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Here's a link to the NOAA BookChart for Res Bay. A little simplified from the full NOAA charts, but it's a start. Might be able to just print out the pages you need. As Maast said, make sure you laminate anything you're taking out there.

(8MB pdf, so be patient)
    http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletC...art_HomeEd.pdf

The other Alaska BookCharts:
    http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletC...kletCharts.htm
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Here is a link to every chart you could want. You can zoom and print them for use. If you have a Garmin Chartplotter, I recommend the G-2 Vision Blue Chart Chip. Nothing like the Fish Eye View. It will blow your mind. Make you wonder, How did I ever manage before I had this? Got all my paper charts from the Map Store in Soldatna across the street from Fred Meyers.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineVie...werTable.shtml

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/g...n/g2vision.jsp

My all-time favorite place for online charts is sailvector.com. You don't have to wait for long downloads or for the chart to clear up on every zoom you do. They have a comprehensive listing of every chart available, and the best part...it's free!

When you open the link, scroll to the very bottom of the page. There is a zoom tool in the bottom left corner, and you can simply drag your way around the chart by grabbing with the pointer and dragging. It's sweet!

Seward area:
    http://sailvector.com/2594/Cape-Resu...to-Two-Arm-Bay

All charts:
    http://sailvector.com/

here's Nika to Point Elrington
    http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16680.shtml

here's Prince William Sound

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16700.shtml

For paper one go to Eagle Enterprise off of International.
    Boatless

Default Great !

Great resources...thanks guys. Am heading out Sunday for the day, I hear Moby Halibut callin'...

Default What about a more detailed depthg chart

Do they have anything like the Garmin G2 Vision on paper? Something with more detailed Bathymetric data?

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Do they have anything like the Garmin G2 Vision on paper? Something with more detailed Bathymetric data?
    That would be kinda hard since its 2 dimensional. Saved a pair of 3D glasses from Avatar. Gonna try it out. LOL I wish!!!!

Default Something Close

Or something with contour lines not just random depths placed on a map.

The Garmin G2 vision is way more detailed than what the standard navigation charts have. I also have Garmin Mapsource for my PC, but I have not figured out how to get these detailed charts to display on the PC. If anyine has figured this out, I would like to know. In the meantime Ulflyfish, next time you see my boat in the driveway, stop in and I will show you what I am talking about. (We are neighbors).
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The Garmin G2 vision is way more detailed than what the standard navigation charts have. I also have Garmin Mapsource for my PC, but I have not figured out how to get these detailed charts to display on the PC. If anyine has figured this out, I would like to know. In the meantime Ulflyfish, next time you see my boat in the driveway, stop in and I will show you what I am talking about. (We are neighbors).
    So I have a Garmin 440S chart plotter and I find I am fairly happy with the preloaded maps of PWS on it. If I spend the $200 on the G2 chip what kind of difference will it display? I have reviewed the add on a website but I would like to actually see the two different pics showing the difference. I dont want to waste $200 of fuel money ya know.

Default Try this

My wife picked this up for me down in Boulder Colo. at the NOAA map place. It is an unfinished version of the Blying sound bathymetric map that NOAA was working on before the funding went away. It will match up to the PWS topo with the blue scale bathymetric lines. This one runs from Montgue to Harris bay and the scale is in meters. Hope the PDF attachment works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    So I have a Garmin 440S chart plotter and I find I am fairly happy with the preloaded maps of PWS on it. If I spend the $200 on the G2 chip what kind of difference will it display? I have reviewed the add on a website but I would like to actually see the two different pics showing the difference. I dont want to waste $200 of fuel money ya know.
    It has 4 different features in it. The two that I like are Fish Eye View and Aerial Reference. Fish Eye view is like you being under the water with scuba gear on. You see every bump, trough, nook and cranny like you are there. You can see the actual sloping etc.... The Aerial is very detailed graphics. Just for example, your comming into a harbor you have never been before and the harbor master tells you go to E Dock Slip 26. You zoom into the harbor and there it is, like a highly detailed gps map with every little detail. You glide right in like you've been there 1000 times. Its also great for navigating. You can track along, wonder whats over yonder, scroll your curser and move the map and check it out, meanwhile your still tracking along when you return. The other two features are also cool and handy. Mariners view is kinda like fisheye but you can see above the water and below at the same time, Kinda like looking at a 3D model map in 2D. I'm not really a gadget person, but this thing is amazing. Worth every penny IMO.

Default mac software?

can anyone give me a line on chart software for southeast?
    thanks

Default Nobeltec

I have Nobeltec software on my boat computer that has real nice Bathymetrics as an option along with the navigational charts, when buying the standard chart disc for Gulf of Alaska, worth checking for sure if you are able to carry even a laptop on board and tie into a GPS?

Bathy's in my opinion are Very Fishy, they'll tell you much more than the regular charts as to why you are running into fish there vs. elsewhere. Check it out, I got the $500 something version, with the chart disc it was a bit more
    http://www.consumersmarine.com/modpe...ID=3005&r=view

and charts you need here, check with who you buy from, for chart compatability with your software, Those consumer Marine guys are very knowledgeable and they probably have all the charts you need but make sure when you are buying they have bathy's on there also, I think all Nobeltec stuff does

http://www.c-map.com/chartcatalogue/8A754967

This is a bit spendy maybe but I highly recommend them vs any non bathy charts, You'll be glad you got them when you see your favorite spots in bathymetrics, Amazing Stuff
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Chart Navigator Pro

For 3D bottom contours, i use Chart Navigator pro on my laptop connected to my garmin 545s. I can also connect the laptop to my Garmin 60cs as a backup. Pretty sweet setup. Great for getting right on those bottom structures.

~AKBoatr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoatR View Post
    For 3D bottom contours, i use Chart Navigator pro on my laptop connected to my garmin 545s. I can also connect the laptop to my Garmin 60cs as a backup. Pretty sweet setup. Great for getting right on those bottom structures.
    ~AKBoatr
    How detailed does Chart Navigator get? For example can you zoom in on a small area, say 100 yds. by 100 yds. and see detailed structure?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The Garmin G2 vision is way more detailed than what the standard navigavition charts have. I also have Garmin Mapsource for my PC, but I have not figured out how to get these detailed charts to display on the PC. If anyine has figured this out, I would like to know. In the meantime Ulflyfish, next time you see my boat in the driveway, stop in and I will show you what I am talking about. (We are neighbors).
    Garmin has a new piece of software that will allow you to view you G2 vision maps on your PC. If is called Homeport and costs $29. Here is the Garmin link:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=64242
    It has some pretty useful trip planning tools, and allows you to view both the navigation and fishing (bathymetric) charts. The only minor issue is that you have to bring your map chip from the boat every time you want to use the software.
    2007 26' Northriver OS, Suzuki 300.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post

Here is an example of the difference between the G2 maps and the standard maps:

These are both ot the lower part of Perry Island. As you can see, it shows a level of detail that is not available on the standard maps. There are quite a few structures shown on the Fishing charts on the G2 card that are not on the standard navigation maps.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast