Thread: Red Shirt Lake Reports

Default Red Shirt Lake Reports

This weekend me and another army buddy are headed to Red shirt really early saturday. Ive never done the hike back there but from what i understand its worth it for the pike. Can anyone shed any light on how things have been the past couple weeks down there? Also what are they biting on other than the normal mouse / frog lures.

Thanks in advance!

Wish I could but have never been there. But I was about to post a similar thread. I'm wondering how difficult/steep/rough the trail is. I want to tow my pontoon boat up there on a dolly if possible.

the trail is ok, I wouldn't want to drag a canoe but people do it, towing a pontoon wouldn't be too bad, just remember its 3 miles of rolly terraine. I'd just rent a canoe from Tippecanoe or bring the tube
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've done that hike for twenty years and like APM said, I'd rent a canoe from Tippecanoe. I dollied in a canoe and it sucks. I've done the float tube thing, but wish I had a canoe for stalking pike in the weed beds. If you want to go over to Lynx Cr. or Fish Cr. you'll be glad you had the canoe, it's a long float. The pike are getting ready to spawn, so anything pretty much works that pisses them off. It's a great place to flyfish for pike. Herring works of course. Rapalas are a no brainer.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I am also wondering about this. Would it be possible to ride a mountain bike in with a float tube deflated in my pack?
    Thanks for any info,
    Riley

Yeah, you can bike in. It's a little bumpy in spots, but it can be done.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Alright, sounds good. I will have to bike in there next week.

Its a pretty good run
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks fellas. Now I just have to construct my dolly! haha

Quote Originally Posted by hartz View Post
    Thanks fellas. Now I just have to construct my dolly! haha
    Harts would you be interested in joining me and a buddy this Saturday? If so contact me here for futhur details

Default red shirt lake

hi im visiting alaska for abit and i decided to do some pike fishing. I've heard that red shirt lake is a good lake for pike but from all the threads ive been reading, the only way to reach the lake is by going through a trail? other than a plane is that the only way to acess the lake? and just wondering are there any big pike size over there? 30 inch +
    thanks

Talking lots o pike

Went to red yesterday. Killed 30 of them dang things. The 6 biggest were in the twenty inch range. Average size was 16. The hike is is nice. It's 3 miles from the trail head. Bring bug dope. We rented a canoe from tippy. It's 32 bucks a day. Well worth it. Don't bother fishing until u paddle out to some of the islands. Cast tords shoreline at edges of grass, reeds, and lily pads. We had the most luck using day glow green tackle. A salmon fly or a #1 Vibrax works great. Use an ultra light rod for the best action.