Thread: NON-Fish Marine life in Turnagain Arm.....what is there....?

Default NON-Fish Marine life in Turnagain Arm.....what is there....?

What are the seals that are in Turnagain Arm....? Are there any Crabs....? There are Belugas (Not a fish). What other marine life (Not counting Fish) inhabit Turnagin Arm.....?

The seals I've seen are harbor seals. The belugas are feeding on hooligan right now. There are various crabs, clam worms and crustaceans. NOAA did a trawl survey a few years ago, you can google it.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I saw a minke whale at bird point once that was pretty cool. Theres quite a bit of algae on the mudflats in the summer
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I saw a minke whale at bird point once that was pretty cool. Theres quite a bit of algae on the mudflats in the summer
    I think I saw a Killer whale breach while chasing a pod of belugas, this was way deep into Turnagain Arm, near Portage. It was huge and black. I have never heard of them in the Arm.

I've seen Orcas three times in the last twenty years in Turnagain Arm. I've also seen a few humpbacks through the years.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Seagulls

I saw a pod of 3 humbacks in the summer of '08 just north of Girdwood on my way back from the Russian. Pretty cool
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I saw a pack of Homo Sapiens walking to Fire Island during the low tide last year LOL!

Couple years ago my wife and I saw a smaller dark whale. My only guess really was a Minke due to it's size. Definitely was not a beluga or orca, the only other two I thought would be possible. Never heard of humpbacks in there, but apparently others have. Pretty cool.

Also saw a beaver swimming around out there on the wrong side of the tracks once.

A walrus managed to find its way into the arm many many years ago, I bet he was confused

Smile

In addition to harbor seals, belugas, and killer whales I saw a brown bear several times last year. Mostly on the mud but I also saw him in the water. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    In addition to harbor seals, belugas, and killer whales I saw a brown bear several times last year. Mostly on the mud but I also saw him in the water. Does that count?

There are NO Brown Bears on the Kenai Peninsula.........silly wabbit.....

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    I saw a pack of Homo Sapiens walking to Fire Island during the low tide last year LOL!

Good One!

I worked the train as a tour guide in the Summer of 1995. One morning we were heading towards Seward and I had a passenger ask if we'd ever get moose out in the water. My response was "Not that I had ever heard". This lady was quick to point out "Then what is that out there in the water" and sure enough, there was a moose out there, knee high in water. Never heard if the moose was stuck or got out or what, but, there was a moose in the arm.

many years ago my dad said him and about 200 other people witnessed belugas being massacred by orcas at beluga point. and they also were chasing them up bird creek and cornering them. there was that humpback they found washed up out there in the arm that all the natives cut up and packed home. ive seen a couple sea lions as well, and one time a sea otter. this was back 10 years or more.

Release Lake Trout