Thread: Remington Alaskan TI 270WSM Rebarrel

Default Remington Alaskan TI 270WSM Rebarrel

It has been a rocky relationship with this rifle. I installed a Timney trigger, had it bedded, tried numerous factory loads and reloaded for it as well. Could never get it to shoot sub MOA. The way the rifle was made makes it impossible to reach the lands while reloading for it, short magazine and long throat. This was my wife's rifle and she just never liked it. I bought her a new Winchester and I have decided that this rifle will serve me better as a 300WSM. I'm having my smith replace the factory barrel with a Douglas Premium barrel and having it re-chambered to 300WSM. I'm thinking that it will feed much better with the feed ramp not being at such an extreme angle. Plus I have the dies and ammo for 300WSM. I'm looking forward to loading and shooting it once I get it back.

Steve

Default Feeding issues

I have read, as I am sure you have too, that a lot of the wsm's have feeding issues. I have an HS Precision 300 wsm now and it hasnt given me any issues, but it has the HS clip that allows for a more "direct feed". I know that you can get the clip and bottom metal from Midway if it comes to that.

I am currently having a 270 wsm built by Borden Rifles. If I didnt already have a 300 wsm I would certainly have it built first. I think you will enjoy that caliber.

I am not sure what has to be done as far as modifications, but I am having a Wyatt box put in mine. Would you be able to do this too? This would allow you a little longer bullet.

Also, I have some 300 wsm ammo and if you want to swap some of your 270 wsm, this may allow us both to see what our rifles like. If interested, send me a PM. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    It has been a rocky relationship with this rifle. I installed a Timney trigger, had it bedded, tried numerous factory loads and reloaded for it as well. Could never get it to shoot sub MOA. The way the rifle was made makes it impossible to reach the lands while reloading for it, short magazine and long throat. This was my wife's rifle and she just never liked it. I bought her a new Winchester and I have decided that this rifle will serve me better as a 300WSM. I'm having my smith replace the factory barrel with a Douglas Premium barrel and having it re-chambered to 300WSM. I'm thinking that it will feed much better with the feed ramp not being at such an extreme angle. Plus I have the dies and ammo for 300WSM. I'm looking forward to loading and shooting it once I get it back.

Steve
    I have two titanium remington 700s(270 win and 3006). They are the old style with a pencil barrel. They both shoot better groups if I let them cool for 10 minutes between shots. If I shoot three shots quickly they usually have the first two shots touching and the third shot will open up to an 1 and 1/2 inchs. The barrels on mine are very sensitive to heating up.

Let us know how things turn out after you rebarrel your rifle.

Got the new barrel on and had a chance to take it too the range today. Shot good and I'm sure that it will only get better as the barrel gets seasoned and I work up some hand loads for it. Changing the caliber and reworking the feed ramp greatly improved the feeding.

These were fired using Federal premium with 180 grain TSXs

Look forward to working up some loads for it. Got some Norma brass and 168 grain TSXs with R-17.

Steve

Default earlier Rem TI

I had one of the older model Rem TIs in 30-06. I could only get 1.5"-2" groups and that wasnt good enough for me. I took the stock off and ground down the 2 "ridges" at the end of the forend. This made the barrel completely free-floating and I got down to 1" MOA after that. Still not a tack-driver, but deleting those ridges helped alot.

Steve,

Nice looking rifle and shot groups, for reloading purposes, do you prefer the barnes TSX's over other brands? what distance were you shooting?

I take it this will be your sheep rifle....

My Tikka 300 WSM loves 180gr Barnes TSX with RE-19. I used the load data right from the Barnes website - very nice groups. Good luck with your "new" rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Steve,

Nice looking rifle and shot groups, for reloading purposes, do you prefer the barnes TSX's over other brands? what distance were you shooting?
    I've taken most my game with TSXs, however Nosler Accubonds are starting to win me over.

Was shooting from a bench at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

I take it this will be your sheep rifle....
    I'm still dating.....LOL

You almost have the complete WSM family. Whatch gonna get a 7mm WSM in?
    Last edited by okbowman; 07-09-2010 at 12:42. Reason: typo

Default Bullets

You'll love those Nosler Accubonds, I load 140 gr. with RL 19 for my .280 Rem. They were the best performing bullets, compared to berger, sierra, Barnes TSX. I'm getting 3/4--1 inch groups at 200 Yards, shooting off a sled.

RL-17 and 180 grain E-tips work well in a Norma case at around 66 grains of powder. With this combo you get a high B.C. around 3100 fps velocty and "Barnes"like terminal performance.