Thread: .375 H&H accuracy tricks

Default .375 H&H accuracy tricks

Just started reloading for a Rem 798 in .375 H&H and with Rem brass, Varget powder and .270 gr Hornady soft points I get about 4 inch groups. Rifle is glass bedded and barrel is free floated and trigger set at about 3 lbs with no creep. Just finished my first 50 rounds. Ladder loaded and saw no groupings. Ran some 5 shot strings, including max loads of 75 grains of powder. Now I could try other bullets and powder but I still have 100 of these bullets. I'm thinking neck sizing only and pushing it .05 off the lands and then crimp with lee crimp die or not crimping? Full length sizing really pushes this shoulder back. I was crimping in the groove, which is way off the lands. Just wondering if these are good ideas with this cartridge? With my target guns these are just normal tricks that are very successful. I have IMR 4065 and H4350 powders, maybe just try another powder? Thoughts are appreciated. I would like to get a lousy 2 inch group. Using a new vortex viper scope in 3x9x40. Thought it might be the old bushnel scope, but that made no difference.

Without reflecting on you, if this is your first experience with a 375, I wouldn't accept those results as indicative of accuracy until you also fired them with a bag of shot between you and the butt or from a lead sled. Shooting lots of recoil from a bench is a skill to learn, and testing loads at the same time isn't going to tell you much about the loads.

If I've crossed the line with that and you've got lots of experience with heavy rifles, sorry, and we can proceed directly to load development. But I had to bring up because too many times I've chased rifle and load problems that were in fact originating behind the butt.

I bring all that up, because frankly I'm very surprised that with that bullet and loading technique on top of the rifle mods, you aren't getting much better accuracy. I haven't loaded Varget in a 375, but in the two 375's I currently own plus those from the past and friends' rifles, it doesn't take much load development to hit the 2" mark. My go-to powder is 4064.

The Hornady 270 grain Spire has been a very accurate bullet in something over a dozen rifles of diverse manufacture in my hands. I have very little experience with the RN version. Maybe there's one difference, if in fact you're loading the RN (can't tell for sure from your description).

If you want to have some serious fun with the 375, look at the reduced velocity loads for their 220 grain FN intended for the 375 Win. Those are SERIOUS deer medicine if you want, but they also make terrific practice rounds that don't beat you up.

In my .375, I use a Redding FL sizing die, but I back it off so I just "bump" the shoulder. There's no need to buy a special neck sizing die. Use a magic marker to color the shoulder of the case, and you can see exactly where your sizing die is touching, and you can adjust it accordingly.

I don't worry too much about touching the lands when seating the bullets in my .375 H&H (I do with my other rifles, though). There's not a whole lot of wiggle room in the magazine box to play with, so I try and seat to the crimping groove and use a Lee FCD to crimp my .375 H&H loads. In my limited sampling, I've noticed better accuracy when I crimp.

Both IMR 4064 and RL-15 have given me good accuracy and velocity in my 21" barrel. I usually shoot the 260-270gr bullets, and I haven't seen a real need to go with with the 300's. The 270gr TSX is my "go-to" hunting bullet, and it performs quite admirably.

I'd also try a different primer. I prefer to use Federal 215's, but have I tried some others. The Winchester primers seemed to give me terrible accuracy, but I didn't spend a lot of time playing with them either. Trying a different primer is a pretty cheap experiment, and it can often pay big dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If you want to have some serious fun with the 375, look at the reduced velocity loads for their 220 grain FN intended for the 375 Win. Those are SERIOUS deer medicine if you want, but they also make terrific practice rounds that don't beat you up.
    Yep, the 235gr Speer is another great bullet for reduced loads. I've used H4227 with good results. Fun to shoot, and easy on the body.

Default Check that Varget load!!!

CIG,
    I am using Varget in my Kimber and Winchester 375 H&H with a 270gr TSX. With a Fed 215 primer, I get 2600fps. Speer#13 and the Nosler free booklet show 67 grains of Varget as a MAX LOAD! You typed 75 grains!!
    I'd check that data before you continue your load development lest you have bad things happen. My accuracy is ubelievable with my Talkeetna.
    Good luck.

I'd 2nd that. Drop the charge about 12-14 grains and start over. Work up in 1 grain increments, and watch for pressure signs (sticky bolt lift, flattened primers, etc.) If and when you see signs of excessive pressure, drop the load about 2 grains.

You could play with seating depth a bit, or probably best to try a new bullet/powder combo if your groups are that goofy.

Full length re-sizing shouldnt be an issue, just dont push the shoulder back to far. Screw the seater down to touch the shell holder, than back off 1/8 a turn and verify the rifle will chamber the brass smoothly. If not screw it down 1/8 and repeat.

Also, do the usual, check your scope for slippage, action screws, etc.

If you try everything and nothing checks out look at the bedding job and crown. Some rifles just dont like to shoot.

FWIW, H4350 has been a very good powder for me in the 375.

What kind of groups do you get with factory ammo?

Do you have any friends in your area that are proven shooters? Perhaps the recoil has caused you to develop a flinch. The trigger, scope, stock, crown and or shooter combination needs to be evaluated. Four inch groups at 100 yards is so big that I would suspect a few other issues are contributing to the problems.

I load for three 375H&H shooters and my own 375Ruger. All of these rifles shooter better than an inch. I haven't tried Varget but it's burn is fairly close to RL-15 and that is a common powder in the 375 as well as one of the 4350 powders.

I haven't looked up the Varget data. If one of our members is telling you that your load is way over max I recommend checking your data and cross referencing it with another manual. I also recommend calibrating your scale and starting over at published minimum values.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Without reflecting on you, if this is your first experience with a 375, I wouldn't accept those results as indicative of accuracy until you also fired them with a bag of shot between you and the butt or from a lead sled. Shooting lots of recoil from a bench is a skill to learn, and testing loads at the same time isn't going to tell you much about the loads.

If I've crossed the line with that and you've got lots of experience with heavy rifles, sorry, and we can proceed directly to load development. But I had to bring up because too many times I've chased rifle and load problems that were in fact originating behind the butt.

I bring all that up, because frankly I'm very surprised that with that bullet and loading technique on top of the rifle mods, you aren't getting much better accuracy. I haven't loaded Varget in a 375, but in the two 375's I currently own plus those from the past and friends' rifles, it doesn't take much load development to hit the 2" mark. My go-to powder is 4064.

The Hornady 270 grain Spire has been a very accurate bullet in something over a dozen rifles of diverse manufacture in my hands. I have very little experience with the RN version. Maybe there's one difference, if in fact you're loading the RN (can't tell for sure from your description).
    +1.... I used Brown Bears load of 72 grains of IMR 4064 and 270 grain Hornadys and got .92" groups at 100 yards from my XCR. This load rocks!!!

Ron

I have a bunch of .375H&H's, the load I settled on that seem to want to shoot in every .375H&H I have ever shot them in is with 4350 powder at 76 grains and the Woodleigh 270 grain bullet, I only use WINCHESTER brass and primers in all my .375H&H loads. I do pull the firing pin out of the bolts to test feed all of my loads before I hunt with them. That is for reloads as well as in new brass.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I was shooting my 300RUM at the range this morning and a buddy showed up with his Remington 700 375H&H. I developed a 270gr TSX and a 300gr TSX in that rifle last summer with good results.

He recently had a Vais Arms muzzle brake installed so he was evaluating recoil and point of impact this morning.

RL-15 @ 70.8gr
    Hornady Brass – 2.840”
    CCI 250
    Barnes TSX 300gr – BC .357
    COL 3.625”
    Velocity 2575fps

This load produced a 3 shot group just under an inch at 100 yards. He shoots with a 3-9X40 scope and a trigger adjusted to 2.5 pounds at break.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01612.JPG  
    Last edited by marshall; 05-21-2010 at 12:45. Reason: typo

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have had great luck with RL15 and the Hornady bullets. I actually prefer (as does my rifle) the RN 270gr bullets to the spire points, but the both shoot great. the round nose bullets just seem to shoot greater!

I'm not much for reduced loads, but what is really fun is shooting gallon water jugs with the Hornady 220gr flat nose with a max load!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    CIG,
    I am using Varget in my Kimber and Winchester 375 H&H with a 270gr TSX. With a Fed 215 primer, I get 2600fps. Speer#13 and the Nosler free booklet show 67 grains of Varget as a MAX LOAD! You typed 75 grains!!
    I'd check that data before you continue your load development lest you have bad things happen. My accuracy is ubelievable with my Talkeetna.
    Good luck.
    It's probably worth pointing out that because the 270 grain TSX bullet is pure copper, it's longer than other 270 grain bullets. Because of that it typically calls for a lighter powder charge, given the same OAL because the bullet extends further into the case.

I haven't actually checked for data for the Hornady bullet he's using, but this may explain (at least in part) the discrepancy in charge weights.

That said, I've had very good luck with H4350 with various 270 and 300 grain bullets in my Ruger M77.

Mike

I haven't had a chance to get back to this load testing. I loaded up my last 8 rounds of virgin brass with 70 grains of IMR 4064. Full-length sized and crimped in the groove. I will see what those do. Then I plan on head spacing off the shoulder and work with either Varget or IMR 4064. I have an 8 lb jug of 4064 and it's a whole lot easier to get and I use it in my silhouette rifle. Probably just stick with that. The Hornady manual had Varget as top load of 75 grains - point something. I worked up from the middle and never had any pressure signs. I wear a past mag recoil pad and shoot pretty straight up off the bench. Recoil is pretty stiff, but no shoulder pain afterward. Sure makes the other guns seem tame now. Thanks all.

Well I ran those loads last night. 1 three shot groups. One was 1.5 inch center to center and one at 1.0. I guess the gun did not like Varget. Never thought it would perform this well. Hornady manual says 2,600 fps. Had to adjust the scope up 11 inches from 75 grain varget load to 70 grain IMR 4064 load. Seems like a lot. I'm going to neck size next and check for smooth loading and bump the shoulder if not. Will stick with 4064 and crimp in the groove. Glad to see this gun finally come around. Maybe it needed 40 some rounds through it for break in. Never got much copper out of it cleaning.

Sounds like you found the right track.

It just don't seem right for a guy to start having so much fun when everyone else is so quick to carp and complain. Lots to look forward to with that gun and load. I'm betting you really like what it does on flesh.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I used 4064 for quite a while befor switching over to RL15

in my experience, the accuracy went from good to great..... food for thought.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I was shooting my 300RUM at the range this morning and a buddy showed up with his Remington 700 375H&H. I developed a 270gr TSX and a 300gr TSX in that rifle last summer with good results.

He recently had a Vais Arms muzzle brake installed so he was evaluating recoil and point of impact this morning.

RL-15 @ 70.8gr
    Hornady Brass – 2.840”
    CCI 250
    Barnes TSX 300gr – BC .357
    COL 3.625”
    Velocity 2575fps

This load produced a 3 shot group just under an inch at 100 yards. He shoots with a 3-9X40 scope and a trigger adjusted to 2.5 pounds at break.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
    Very cool! Thanks Marshall.