Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper river #'s?

Default Copper river #'s?

Has the Sonar counter on the Copper River at the outlet of Miles Lake come on line yet? There should be some fish moving thru by now. The ADFG doesn’t even have 2010 listed yet? In the past years they have started around 15 or 16 May.

My guess is it's either not up yet or the data just hasn't been transferred yet. Other counters are up, but they took a couple of days to post up. They don't list 2010 until they have some data reported. Just keep watching.

I, like you, am itching to see the numbers to get some vicarious sockeye pleasures while waiting for June.

I'm sure they'll be up within a few days. I've been checking each morning all week. Here's the link if it helps anyone.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

Was up in the copper basin this past week chasing grayling and the weather was spectacular. Spent 3 days gazing at sanford and wrangell in all their glory. Might be some high June waters if the warm trend keeps up.

Are there any reports about how good the cordova fleet's catches have been?

Default PWS Commercial Catch Blue Sheet

The 2010 Commercial Fisheries Blue Sheet is scheduled to begin on Friday, May 21, and can be found here:

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/BlueS...EWebReport.php

~tr

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    I, like you, am itching to see the numbers to get some vicarious sockeye pleasures while waiting for June.

I'm sure they'll be up within a few days. I've been checking each morning all week. Here's the link if it helps anyone.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

Was up in the copper basin this past week chasing grayling and the weather was spectacular. Spent 3 days gazing at sanford and wrangell in all their glory. Might be some high June waters if the warm trend keeps up.

Are there any reports about how good the cordova fleet's catches have been?
    I live at the base of both Sanford and Drum, and at the confluence of the Copper and the Gulkana. Each morning I enjoy my coffee with a view. How was your Grayling fishing and what lakes did you hit?

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    DIY Salmon Fiching
    Family Raft Trips
    907-822-4290

Common number's, getting a bit itchy sitting here in Iraq, coming home on about the 3rd of June and looking forward to hitting the river before I head back to this sh** Hole.

Hope they come strong and early.

Default Commercial catch numbers

Now available

Harvest Run Timing
    http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/genin...s/coprsock.php

Blue Sheet
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/BlueS...EWebReport.php

Looks pretty low and slow to start with. Don't forget, though, that the horde has been known to wait and then come in all at once.

~tr

Default Miles Lake Sonar Numbers Now Available

Tricklin' in.

Check my page below:

~tr

PS No water level info yet, either from NOAA or from Miles Lake.

Not much so far, but they do have a tendency to come in a large wave in a week or two. I wouldn't try to fish the opener, though. Don't think many will make it that far by then.

Default Comparative Table View

Let me know if you prefer this view of historical escapement numbers:

http://home.gci.net/~reetz/copper/data.htm

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Let me know if you prefer this view of historical escapement numbers:
    gr8fl,

I like it; you can really see the diff between years and pure #'s.

Yeah, I like it, too. Thanks for all the info you've provided for this fishery, it's been very helpful.

I'm just going to closely watch the next two weeks and hope big numbers start showing up on schedule, since they are well off the norm now. Seems like the water level is pretty low, too, based on the NOAA stations.

I'm working with the wife of one of the charter boat operator's out there, and she says her husband never recommends coming early in the season. Let the fish stack up through the system and come mid- to late summer.

Default Early Season Benefits

1. Lower water levels: slower currents, less debris, better back eddy currents, more accessible holes.
    2. Kings: especially if ADF&G closes it for kings like they did last year.
    3. If you don't limit out, you have a good excuse and time to work in another trip.

~tr

All good points. I especially like the kings thought. I hadn't considered that. I missed out on them last year, which was lame since we got several. And we went fairly early, but they'd already closed it (June 16).

Default Roger That on Kings

As I remember it was only open for kings the first two weeks last year. It sure hurts to have to let them go, and as we know, they don't do so well getting caught and released.

By the Way...Two votes wins it. Escapement page now has historical data in table form.

~tr

Very nice gr8fl, truly do appreciate all the info you provide on this great fishery.

Common 2001 #ís timing should be just right.

Miles lake 2010 sonar counts are now on the web. Nothing much to get excited about yet, but here they come.

Between me and the guy next to me we dumped 25 chinook back last year. Seems like we ought to at least have been able to keep the jacks.

Hoping for a strong chinook return in the next few weeks.

Starting to look up.

Default Trip Timing

Expect a big spike in numbers within the next few days.

24k dollar question: How long does it take the salmon to get to your favorite back eddy?

ADF&G says, "It takes approximately 2 weeks for salmon to travel this distance, but this is highly variable depending on the water level."

Water level is the key. Lower water level = faster travel times. I'd rather be early than late.

I generally figure 10 days at the beginning of the season.

~tr

I just did some research on the "two week" theory by Fish and Game. I went back through old posts, and found when people were saying it was hot, and had a second screen with the sonar counts. It brought up a thought... doesn't fish and game have all the information on when people caught fish? It would take some time, but if that information was available, it could be compiled into a spreadsheet to show success rates on certain dates and match them to the Miles Lake sonar counts.

What I found with my little bit of digging, is that the success rates reported here seem to be great three weeks after the first large surge. We've been flexible the last couple of years and have gone two weeks after the surge, and haven't done as good as we used to when we just randomly went down.

I expect the surge to start coming through now that the numbers are increasing on the sonar counts. I'm thinking we'll see 5 digit numbers by the weekend, so we are planning on heading down around the week of the 21-27th of June. It'll be interesting to see how this theory pans out. It does not take into effect water levels though, so hopefully we'll have cooperation then... and proxy's

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast