Thread: Black Bear Hunting Near Fairbanks

Default Black Bear Hunting Near Fairbanks

Im looking to go on a black bear hunting trip in a couple of weeks and was looking to find a place an hour or two out of Fairbanks to set up camp. Any suggestions are appreciated. Also has anybody had any sightings of blackies around Fairbanks.

Seen a couple off the raod past the Yukon last week. They were to spooked to get them though. Bow only area BTW!

Default PM sent your way

PM sent your way.

Default Cannot PM

Never mind the PM. You are new, so I will not give you info. Just kidding. I can not send you a PM until you have a certain amount of posts. I believe you need 10 posts. The mods can chime in with the correct number. So post away. I prefer not to post hunting areas in the open forums. I do not want 100 other people in my hunting spot.

In the mean time if you answer a couple questions, you will get better answers from other people also.

Do you own a boat/canoe or raft?
    What is your experience with above modes of transportation?
    Do you own/have access to a 4-wheel drive vehicle?
    Do you own/have access to a 4-wheeler?
    Do you plan on bear baiting?
    How long of a trip do you plan on?
    What type of trip are you looking for? ie. river/walking/4-wheeling
    How many people are in your party?
    Are any kids going?
    Do you have tents/extended stay stuff or plan on sleeping in a vehicle or under a tarp?
    Most importantly: Do you believe Bigfoot exists in Alaska?

Default Trip

I own a Canoe and have tons of experience. Buy wasn't planning on using it. I own a truck and a wheeler and was planning on taking both along with my dad and his wheeler and parking the truck and taking the wheeler out some odd miles. I wasn't planning on baiting as I don't have a license for it. No kids. And only a day trip. Probably 10 or 12 hours from early morning to the afternoon. I plan on fishing and maybe cooking some burgers. I semi believe in Bigfoot... One of my buddies swore he saw a Bigfoot on the fairbanks area one summer.

The Elliot HWY seems to be the place for blackies this year. Check other posts in this forum or the baiting forum. Seems most of them are coming from that area.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I am not sure if the bear baiting class is still offered, but you can do crack burns under a baiting permit. Way less work to set up and they work. I would say a 1-2 hour drive outside of Fairbanks to the North, South or North East would get you in black bear country. Watch the south facing slopes where the green grass is just poking out.