Thread: New Wheeler

Post New Wheeler

I am looking into getting a new wheeler in the next month or so and am wondering if there are any major issues that people are having with their brand of wheeler. I am not looking for the biggest or fastest machine, just something that is reliable and can go trail riding up here. I am not brand loyal as this will be my first new wheeler purchase. Also I am not looking to break the bank. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Do you have an idea what your budget is? That will dictate everything else.

You will have folks tell you this brand or that brand is better...to be honest and up front, I like Yamaha. They have never let me down and the local dealer is great. But in general, there are several things I would consider:

1. Mid-range ATVs (450cc - 550cc class) tend to get better fuel economy than the 600cc - 1000cc class ATVs. If you plan on long hunting trips this may be a factor.

2. ATVs assembled overseas will all weigh in around 600lbs due to import rules. ATVs assembled domestically tend to weigh in around 750lbs and more. Weight is a huge issue for me so I tend to look at the lighter quads (if you can call 600lbs light).

3. 4x4 systems vary across the manufacturers. Do some research. Some brands claim 4x4 but in fact only have limited slip 4x4 (three wheel drive). I will not buy a quad that does not have a true 4x4 locking differential.

4. Power Steering..the newest thing out there. Several brands have power steering. Do you have to have it...probably not. Is it a nice feature? YES!!! Most folks make the mistake of assuming people get power steering because they need or want help turning the bars on their quad. That has never been the case with anyone I know that has power steering. Power Steering allows you to ride longer and harder all day with less fatigue than your buddies without power steering. I have a Yamaha Grizzly with power steering. I go out riding with folks almost every weekend. We put in 50+ miles and most folks are ready to head back home for the day. I will usually come home and unload my quad...and hit the trails at my house because I am not ready to be done for the day. I will put an additional 30 - 50 miles on the quad after all my friends head home (sore and tired). Additionally, the power steering soaks up the jarring effect of hitting a rock, log, or stump on the trail. We have all been riding down the trail and hit something that caused the bars to be ripped out of your hands and almost caused you to wreck or be thrown from your quad. Power Steering nullifies that issues or at the very least reduces that to a minimum. I was out at Jim Creek two winters ago riding with friends. The snow was 12 inches deep. I was cruising across Jim Creek at 55mph. I hit a car bumper that was buried in the snow. I hit it so hard that it ripped the side walls out of both my front and rear driver side tires. I was standing when this happened. Normally, I would have been thrown forward and launched off my quad. I was able to stay on my quad and was able to maintain total control because of the power steering. It works, it's reliable (I have 1500 miles on my quad with zero issues), and I would not own a quad without power steering.

5. One of the last things to consider is the dealer. Your dealer experience will make or break your happiness factor with your quad. A bad dealer can make the best quad a miserable experience. Keep that in mind when you finally decide what quad you want to purchase.

Another thing to look at is the ATV magazine "shootouts". Take the information in ATV mags with a grain of salt because they all take sponsor dollars...but, you can still find good information in those magazine shootouts. You know what you plan on doing with your quad...look at the shootouts between similarly matched quads and decide what fits your needs.

Take a look at the videos on this site: http://www.atvtv.com/show_segments.html.

These guys do a good job of covering all the models out there on the market.

Good luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

If your looking to go new check these guys out:
    http://www.houseofyamaha.com/
    Last I checked they had some good deals on the 2009 models... (If I recall correclty the 09 Grizz 550 EPS model was very nicely priced)

Just be sure to listen to AKMuddy.. He'll steer ya straight...

Quote Originally Posted by chasing View Post
    If your looking to go new check these guys out:
    http://www.houseofyamaha.com/
    Last I checked they had some good deals on the 2009 models... (If I recall correctly the 09 Grizz 550 EPS model was very nicely priced)

Just be sure to listen to AKMuddy.. He'll steer ya straight...
    Thanks!!! I am back in town...are you going to be out at Jim Creek this weekend? (sorry for the thread hijack)
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I second House of Yamaha in Big Lake. After months of research and weeks of shopping around, they gave me the best deal on an outstanding machine. Good, honest folks who actually give a rip about the folks who buy from them. Far and away the best deal I could find on the machine I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Thanks!!! I am back in town...are you going to be out at Jim Creek this weekend? (sorry for the thread hijack)
    No, heading backcountry with a couple of buddies. One is an Army guy and it is the only weekend he can get free for a while. Figured we'd show him some Alaska before he heads out of of state... He's spent most of his Alaska rotation out of country...

Post More Info

As far as the budget I am trying to stay around $15,000 for 2 wheelers and a trailer if at all possible. I am leaning towards yamaha after talking to guys at work, I was drooling over the Can-Am Renegade 800 but not for the price they want and guys tell me that most trails wouldn't allow me to make use of the speed anyway. Now maybe if I get back down to Idaho and the dunes. I also am kinda old school as far as they go and was taking a good look at the Big Bear for the simplicity. I am not really looking to add huge tires or anything, just the basics: winch, good stock size tires, plow for the long circular driveway.

If you can wait till mid Aug I will have 10 new slightly used 350 grizzlys with IRS for sale
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!