Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Alaskans think........

Default Why do Alaskans think........

.....That Alaska is the only state in the union of fifty that;

Allows hunting?

Has un-inhabited wilderness areas?

Isn't entirely paved and made into a metropolis?

In which people own guns?

In which people carry guns?

In which people own land?

That has a F&G department that successfully manages wildlife populations?

I have established a residence in eleven different states, including Alaska. I have owned and carried guns in all those states and hunted in each state as well. I've also hunted in at least a dozen other states as a non resident. In each state, game laws and gun laws were essentially the same. There are a few exceptions now as some states are much more restrictive about guns and hunting but not much different from Alaska laws.

Where I now live, local schools close for the first week of deer season to allow students who desire to do so, to help harvest the family venison. Other states do have regulated seasons and don't allow the senseless slaughter of herds of animals and all must be hunted fair chase, during daylight hours. I hunt on my own 200 acres and neighboring farm land, and invite my neighbors to hunt with me. My kids and grandkids hunt with me as well. How many Alaskans own 200 acres of land?

I wonder just how many Alaska residents, that comment so freely about the hunting laws in other states, have actually hunted outside Alaska. I'm sure you're all proud of your state, but I'm here to tell you, there are other places just as wild and free, not as big, but here just the same.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, I "USED'TA Like you.........

There is hardly any room in Alaska to hunt without owning your own land which cost a small fortune if you can even find it and the gun laws are getting way restrictive! Please do not move here, there are much easier places to hunt and carry guns.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

How many alaskans NEED to own land, other than the lot their house sits on.

Murphy, much of this state is complete wilderness. You can easily get dropped in places here and you would starve or freeze to death before you hit help (walking that is). I've been to Missouri. Been to the Ozarks. Where in your current state of residence could a person get dropped and have to walk MORE than 30 miles to help?
    I can park my ATV, or snogo, in my yard and take off from there with NO fences or private property to stop me. I can go in each of the 360 degrees of direction from my house, tho 180 or so I need a boat in summer.
    Most of the stuff you mention is true, more or less. But wilderness in the lower 48 don't compare.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Being in the military, I too have lived and hunted in many different states. I have never even come remotely close to the incredible hunting opportunities I have had in this great state. Being able to hunt so many big game species in one state is a great experience and I would strongly argue that no other state in the U.S. can come close to Alaska and its hunting and fishing oppurtunities.

Default Because......

the cold weather keeps our little weiners all shriveled up.....

I agree with most of your points Murphy, we're not that special. Like most Alaskans...I grew up elsewhere...and hunted, fished and resided in 6 states since college.

The ones you can keep are the comments about wild uninhabitated lands and about owning land. First off, even Montana and Idaho have been logged once if not twice...so if you want pristine...there's only one place left. Many of those other areas are very nice, but few are as daunting as what you can find up here, which helps round out my personal opinion of "wild". None of us can lay claim to being the reason it still is this way, but we can work to keep it as such.

As to owning land...you can all have it...and the mortgage. You know as well as anyone that 200 acres of land in AK for hunting is worth about a nickel to a martian, you need way more than that and why would I buy when I have 1.6 million acres of Wood Tikchik State Park 20 miles north of me...I hope that aspect of AK never ever changes. Owning land is great for deer and turkeys...I've shot dozens off my dad's wooded FORTY acres as a kid and young adult...up here, who cares.

One of the things I miss about the midwest is getting out of work (heck or before work) poppin up in a tree stand and watchin the tweeties for a two hour hunt 200 yards from the house...and from Sept til Dec no less. I don't poo poo the other places....just prefer it up here.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default U R won smart guy, 4 shore

Mr. Murphy:
    When I was a boy in MO, we almost never seen a deer, and there was no deer season.

Then, they started a One Day Deer season, when I was still in grade school. (One Room School) Many people were against it, saying it would be too dangerous.

But, things evolved until years later, while I was in the USAF, the season was longer. One week, IIRC. Later there were TWO Turkey Seasons. For me, it's a treat to see deer and turkey down there. You can hear coyotes howling at night, something that was unheard, and unheard of, when I was growing up.

The point is, the MO Conservation Dept. has done a great job, and reportedly were a model for other states.

When I came here, I had no tradition of beeg game hunting. We hunted squirrels, rabbits, and maybe quail down there.

It seems to me, that hunting opportunities are in some ways greater outside, than here in the Greatland. For one thing, you can go hunting in an evening, or weekend, without it being a real expedition. Of course, that depends a lot on just where you live.

Nonetheless, there's no place like the Greatland.

Besides, there's no Ticks, and no Snakes to contend with. Just the CLOUDS. (of mosquitoes)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default because

we are all self centered, egotistical, closed minded and opinionated.... and you're wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    The ones you can keep are the comments about wild uninhabitated lands and about owning land. First off, even Montana and Idaho have been logged once if not twice...so if you want pristine...there's only one place left. Many of those other areas are very nice, but few are as daunting as what you can find up here, which helps round out my personal opinion of "wild". None of us can lay claim to being the reason it still is this way, but we can work to keep it as such..

Really? I'm curious like Murphy, what makes you feel that way? Do a search of Bob Marshall and Frank Church Wilderness areas. Probably more pristine than most places you take your plane or four wheeler.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

I too have hunted and fished in many many states, and it seems like AK has some of the more restrictive hunting and fishing regulations of anywhere I have been outside of Europe.

I may be way off base here, and I am sure there are many reasons, but this is an observation.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

haha uh oh another missouri redneck feeling inadequate for living in the armpit of america... sorry buddy you'll make it

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    Really? I'm curious like Murphy, what makes you feel that way? Do a search of Bob Marshall and Frank Church Wilderness areas. Probably more pristine than most places you take your plane or four wheeler.
    OH sagacious one, I'm not saying these areas are non-existent or not indeed gorgeous...I used to live over the border from the Selway and my roommate worked in and has invited me to the Frank Church once we finish school.....but areas like that are just that "wilderness areas" because someone set them aside and access is limited and restricted. AK has these kinds of areas just because we haven't pumped enough people into it....yet. OR, they are just too far out. In essence they've saved themselves by being in BFE....but like I said...yet, since Pebble is knockin at the door of one of my areas at the moment.

The state park in my backyard is two thirds the size of the Frank Church....and guess what surrounds that state park.....more public land...the vast majority of it undeveloped but without all the rules that the Church and others have (but justifiably so, no arguement here, they need them)...that's what makes em special in AK and that's why I feel that way.

Default stay out

im so glad that you are proud of your little postage stamp 200 acres that you share with all your friends neighbors and family...STAY THERE!!! i like the fact that i have thousands and thousands of acres i can hunt all too myself without seeing another person for days. ya...ur right...ur little spot is the best...however...how many moose and black bear and grizz u got there? do alot of pike sheefish salmon and halibut fishing there? hows the trapping? virgin wilderness? yeah...thats what makes alaska the best state in the union!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Not too crowded

I have only hunted one other state, Colorado, and the one thing that sticks in my mind from that experience, (spent three weeks scouting and walking over some serious wilderness) was BLAZE ORANGE EVERYWHERE

I heard a joke about it once referring to the "pumpkin patch effect", as in blaze orange all over the valley you are glassing, and that describes it pretty well

In AK I can't remember running into other hunters at all in my pursuit of all variety of game, which makes it quite different and preferrable in my opinion,

As to your question, I don't think it is a reason for arrogance from my view of other states or their management strategies, I imagine there are great places to hunt and I wouldn't mind doing some Whitetail Deer Hunting in the Deep South or Missouri, or Iowa, or Minnesota, or Idaho for Elk, or.......

But it is hard to compare them to the Vast Wilderness and Lack of Crowds of this Great State
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I don't know any that think that way but I'm a small town boy

I have read the forum for a few years, but never felt the urge to join in before.

I have also been fortunate enough to hunt several of the lower 48 states and there is some very nice hunting in a lot of them.

But nothing compares to hunting Alaska. I for one love the isolation, and the fact that I can go for days without seeing another human being.

You dont need to own land to hunt Alaska and beside owning 200 acres of land is basically worthless to you as a hunter, in Alaska.

The only other place that I have lived and hunted that was as isolated, and with a variety of game like we have here is Argentina and Africa.

As a hunter, I will take Alaska over any other state

Default Habitat and environment

Coming from the SE of AK I can't imagine anyplace close to the Alexander Archipelago.

It's unique in it's own right. I choose to roam this area of the country and enjoy the habitat and special environment.

Do I think it's more special than other wilderness areas in the lower 48? Honestly, yes.

Show me a place with the variety and density of biodiversity of SE AK and I may be swayed.

I'm not knocking any others though. Live where you may and hunt what you may. I just ask the same consideration.

For me.....I've got less than 90 days before deer and goat hunting starts. I hope I can get my tags filled in the five month season. Oh, lets not forget the special AK based Federal Subsistence regulations. They kinda help make it just a little nicer living here.

I've hunted a few other states besides Alaska with Idaho being the one closest to having remote wilderness. There are some great places to hunt there where one could get lost pretty easily but nothing compares to Alaska in remoteness. Martentrapper was spot on with his post.

Alaska moose tastes better than Missouri moose

Why would I need to "own" two hundred acres?...I've got thousands upon thousands of acres I collectively "own" (as both a US and AK citizen) right out my back door and aside from running dozers and building structures I can pretty much roam them at will.

I've hunted several other states as well and I've got to admit, nothing even comes close to this place. Heck, in TN I could always hear highway vehicles from my hunting area. I'm not saying other states don't have wilderness areas but they are nothing compared to here.

And speaking of carrying weapons, I waited for 14mos. for my "right to carry" permit in TN that allowed me to carry a weapon and in those days even getting one of those was a radical notion in surrounding states.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast