Thread: A little help?

Default A little help?

I had this posted in the Hunting section, but I guess it would be more appropriate here.
    Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for a long time and now I need some help. I would like to canoe the Little Susitna River for a moose hunt. I have several specific questions about the viability of this. First off, if I put in at Houston and float down to Burma Landing how much of the land in between is public land open to hunting? I know I canít hunt the Nancy Lake State Rec Area. Where can I find information on public/private land? Second, if I were to put in at Burma Landing and floated down to the inlet, how feasible would it be to motor back up river to Burma landing? I have an Old Town 17í Tripper canoe, I donít have a motor yet but would get a 3-5 hp outboard. I assume the Susitna Flats State Game Refuge is open to hunting as per the ADF&G website. Are some of these areas permit hunt only? I just need to know where to look for this info as Iím not having a lot of luck online. Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

I think most of that area is open to hunting.

I would be cautious about the weight limit of your canoe. 1 person 1 moose and hunting and camping grear is a lot for a single canoe.

I don't know about coming up river with a 3-5 horse.

Default Raft

I don't know this particular stretch of water but my experience (and I have done 5 float hunts) is that a float hunt is lots more fun in a raft than in a canoe. I would heed Big Horse's warning. Some rafts can be equipped with outboards.

On a couple of hunts, we talked to hunters in canoes. they all had been wet.
    Last edited by Phil; 05-24-2010 at 03:57. Reason: additional thought

Default Opps

The previous post that I referred to was by Big Dog60 - not Big Horse. My advice still stands.

Default Thanks guys

Well, I've had 600 lbs in the canoe with almost a foot of free board left. It is rated for 1500 lbs, if we bone out the meat I think we'll be alright. I think I'll take your advise and drop the run to the inlet idea and get out at Burma. If anyone else has advise I am always glad to hear it. Thanks

600lbs would be your meat boned out not including antlers you and your gear so that foot of freeboard goes away real quick not to mention once you hit a sweeper or it starts to rain. I am not doubting your canoes capacity or your canoeing abilities just giving you something to think about. I have done two hunts via canoe when I was younger and both were thought out very poorly but we got lucky both times and did not get any moose just plenty of fish.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default I know, I know...

broncoformudv, I've "run the numbers" hundreds of times and just spent 4 hours of DoD time inputing GPS coordinates in my crappy GPS This may be the most over thought canoe expedition ever. I do know I'm cutting it close on weight. I figure worst case scenario we put a moose down and have to suck it up for one or days of river travel. That is assuming we get one past the Nancy Lakes Rec Area. We plan on taking 2 weeks to float the river, camping every so often. I took the whole moose season off work 25 Aug to 25 Sep so if we have to run the river a couple times, we are prepared to do so. I would be surprised if we didn't get wet, but I'm not planning on turning the canoe over. But if we do, I have a plan for that, lol. My wife and I are going to take a few days over the 4th and float it, so I'll have a little better idea of what I'm getting into. I know I seem like I'm shooting down everyone's advise, but I have considered this long and hard. I'm just looking for holes in my plan I haven't thought of. I invite you all to shoot more holes, thanks, Chris.

I usually hunt on the Little Susitna with a 17 foot Tripper (solo) or a 20 foot Tripper XL (two people). There are moose along the river corridor and quite a few hunters. The XL has hauled a spike un-boned moose out of there to Burma landing, and could have carried more.

Iím not a great hunter, but noticed that in August the moose are not in rut so calling does not seem to work. What you need to do is identify ample moose sign and hunt the area. Early mornings and late evenings are when most of the shots go off. This year I may haul a portable tree stand. I have seen grizzly bears so bring your tags if that interests you.

I have a 2 HP kicker that can side-mount on either canoe. My experience is that double-ended canoes donít work that well with outboard motors Ė you cannot throttle them up very much. Carrying the extra weight is the trade-off. To break up the trip, you can paddle upstream a mile or two in a light canoe and float down. If you have a successful hunt, you can generally paddle down to Burma landing the same day.

Canoes can get you into many areas but rafts can safely carry more gear for extended wilderness hunts. We have a Maravia Williwaw II but it is a big raft, probably a two moose raft. I and am trying to decide on the best raft for Birch Creek.

Good luck.

John Hakala

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default Check the regs

In most areas that I hunt, completely boning out the animal isn't allowed. All legs must be intact from the shoulder blade or hip joint to the hock. Ribs must be brought out of the field intact as well. About the only bones allowed to be left in the field are the vertebrae and skull. Admittedly, I don't hunt the Little Su corridor, but I highly recommend checking it out before hand.

Default New question

If I shoot a moose, is it legal to sit over the gut pile for bear? Or does this fall under bear baiting regs? Thanks

Default Yes

You sure can sit over the gut pile and shoot any animal in season that you have a tag for.

Default Just floated the river

and the actual canoeing wasn't bad at all. My wife and I did it in two days from Houston to Burma. Now I'm just concerned with hunting pressure. In fact I could have taken a (already) legal bull moose at 15 yards with my 460 as we drifted by, he should be nice by opening day. Oh, well. I always see deer when I'm squirrel hunting and vise versa. Unless anyone has something to add, I'm ready as I'll ever be. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have done two hunts via canoe when I was younger and both were thought out very poorly but we got lucky both times and did not get any moose just plenty of fish.
    First time I have read a person called, "lucky" when their hunt was not successful. Haha!
    Unfortunately, I guess, I have also been on hunts where I considered myself "lucky" I didn't kill something.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Update

I thank everyone for the advise and help last year. I just wanted to let you know how it ended up. My buddy and I floated the Little Su with 10 days of food and gear on 25 Aug . We camped out for all 10 days at one spot. While there was AMPLE moose sign, we only saw several cows and one with a calf. Floated down and took out at Burma. We recharged at home for 3 days and struck out again with 10 more days of food.
    We flipped the canoe 400 yards out of Houston. We ran up on a log protruding at about a 30 degree angle out of the water. We recovered everything important except my camelback that had ALL my ammo, tags and wallet. Ended up hiring a local certified diver to go down in a dry suit and SCUBA for $100 as the local dive shop wouldn't even rent us a mask and wet suit (I don't blame them). He found my bag in 20 minutes, we were both happy.
    After 3 more days of drying out, we set off again with 2 weeks of food, as that would put us out to closing day. We stopped at the same spot as before because of the AMPLE moose sign. We portaged the canoe inland about 400 yards and put it on beaver pond that was connected to two more ponds. That let us go almost 2 miles inland in complete silence. Man, that was cool. The sun comes up and burns the fog off the pond. We scour the shore line and don't see any moose...
    Day 10 of second trip, wake up late at 0800, cook breakfast over campfire. We sit and plan mid-morning hunt. We both now hate hip waders with a passion, I've lost 25 pounds in the last 20 some days. We haven't seen a legal bull in all 20 days to date (Tom saw a sub-legal bull the day before while "hunting"). He "awoke", "peed", heard a noise, "made a moose call" and was set upon by some young bull with "a small palm and crazy stunted antlers" on the other side. Not a shooter. He said it made his trip to Alaska though.
    As we enjoy our late breakfast, two moose noisily emerged from the far bank (We camped right on the bank this time) about 20 yards away. As they sauntered down stream our camp was a flurry of activity as we grabbed rifles and vainly searched for binoculars. My buddy said "One of em has antlers! Use your rifle!" (I had a scope, he was using irons). I quickly confirmed he was a fork with a small palmation on the other side. I shot over the cow in front of him at about 75 yards, we were up on the bank about 15 feet higher than the river and he dropped. He started to get up and as the cow moved out of the way and I hit him again through both lungs. He dropped on the spot in about 3 feet of water (.338 Win-Mag).
    Well, long story short, we butchered him in the water after pulling him up as far as we could. I would say he went about 800-900 lbs. We quartered him, hung him over night and canoed down river with him the next day. 25 miles. We had at least 7 inches of free board. 2 dudes, 14 days worth of camping equip, 500-600 lbs of moose in an Old Town 172, no problem.
    Now I have a question about the Big Su over on the Canoe Forum...

Nice success! Dude my bro and I floated the Lil sue twice!

great story and hppy for you but where are the PICTURES!! I want to see that loaded............
    Semper Fi and God Bless

You might try the area upstream from houston. Gets a lot less pressure, however lined with cabins closer to houston. Put in at the bridge near Wasilla, off snelden I think, more logs to contend with but like i said, no pressure except for a few locals. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by coblake View Post
    I thank everyone for the advise and help last year. I just wanted to let you know how it ended up. ......

..... He dropped on the spot in about 3 feet of water (.338 Win-Mag).
    Well, long story short, we butchered him in the water after pulling him up as far as we could. I would say he went about 800-900 lbs. We quartered him, hung him over night and canoed down river with him the next day. 25 miles. We had at least 7 inches of free board. 2 dudes, 14 days worth of camping equip, 500-600 lbs of moose in an Old Town 172, no problem.
    What a cool story coblake, Thanks for the Update, got Pics ??

Love the Canoe Capability Factor, but that's out to the Max, yet it was Plainly,

Well Planned, Hunted, Finished,......... Awesome

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great job coblake. Your canoe has plenty of capacity for a bull, and two hunters. A lot of folks don't realize that canoes are designed to carry big loads. Hopefully next trip you'll evaluate things you may not need and shed some dead weight, especially considering next time yah migh take a mature bull. I do all my work by canoe too, and as you can tell (by experience), there's nothing to be scared of, and a raft isn't always needed.