Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear for Sheep Hunt

Default Rain Gear for Sheep Hunt

What would you recommend for rain gear on my October sheep hunt? I've heard of Helly Hanson, Sitka, and River West. I know Rivers west is good stuff but you'll sweat alot if doing a lot of hiking which is required when sheep hunting.

You will sweat alot in a Helly Hansen Impertech too just as fast, but everyone likes them here in Alaska,....... I prefer the Nimbus jacket by Sitka.

Expensive gear, but I'd check out Arc'teryx. They make some amazing gear that is incredibly water/wind proof.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Something breathable for sure. The Sitka stuff is pretty nice from what i have seen if you can afford it.

I am using an expensive eVent jacket which is doing awesome! Every time I take it on a trip it just doesn't rain!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am using an expensive eVent jacket which is doing awesome! Every time I take it on a trip it just doesn't rain!!

Man I would pay some HUGE bucks if I had a jacket that prevented it from raining at all

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default October Sheep

You will probably be pretty far North and it may be more snow than rain. So something that has some insulation.

Default Agree about weather-concern should be snow

Agree with other post reference snow versus rain...really not sure on an OCT sheep hunt where you would be experiencing much rain at all--should be snow and cold to deal with especially at elevation.

That being said--on my sheep hunt I took Impertech and a softshell like the Marmot Precip jacket (made by Millet but not many places carry it or people know about it). Think I will just go with Impertech on the next hunt--but I am talking about August sheep hunting.

Also agree that Arcteryx makes some awesome jackets--and they sure are spendy as well.

Man you guys carrying impertech for sheep must be tough! I would rather be wet than carry that much extra weight!

Thanks for the post guys! I'll be hunting the Chugach Mountains DS240. Just want something that works and is light. I'm kind of a weight conscious. Sitka Storm-front and Storm front-lite is made by Acr’teryx. I have a friend that can order Sitka for 60% off so I might go that route.

I used my Sitka Gear Numbus jacket and pants last year and spent a lot of time in it. I found myself wearing it just as a wind breaking outer layer, it is very comfortable and so far has held up well. I even taped the pants and used them to cross streams. Worked well on my sheep hunt as I went above below the snow line.

Kept me warm and dry even on Kodiak.

From sea to summit, I will be using it again soon.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Man you guys carrying impertech for sheep must be tough! I would rather be wet than carry that much extra weight!
    Or maybe they are just in better shape. Realistically the difference between my Gore-tex proshell rain gear I use for backpack hunting versus the HH impertech is like 6 oz. Heck at times I will backpack with my HH impertech as well. Impertech IMO the best bang for buck raingear for hunting in AK. The fact that you can buy 5 pairs of impertech for the same price of one setup of Arcteryx or Sitka rain gear makes the HH pretty attractive. In fact you could take the extra $550 savings and apply it to a lighter tent, sleeping bag, whatever else and be weight ahead. If HH would put pit zips on their impertech that is probably all I would carry.

People (myself included) get so caught up in the weight savings thing at times that they fail to realize if they'd take a step back and see that getting in shape is FAR more important than an extra 5 lbs in your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Or maybe they are just in better shape. Realistically the difference between my Gore-tex proshell rain gear I use for backpack hunting versus the HH impertech is like 6 oz. Heck at times I will backpack with my HH impertech as well. Impertech IMO the best bang for buck raingear for hunting in AK. The fact that you can buy 5 pairs of impertech for the same price of one setup of Arcteryx or Sitka rain gear makes the HH pretty attractive. In fact you could take the extra $550 savings and apply it to a lighter tent, sleeping bag, whatever else and be weight ahead. If HH would put pit zips on their impertech that is probably all I would carry.

People (myself included) get so caught up in the weight savings thing at times that they fail to realize if they'd take a step back and see that getting in shape is FAR more important than an extra 5 lbs in your pack.
    But you can't buy "In Shape" if you could sell it, you would be rich...LOL

I have and use my HH Impertech as well and it is great gear for the money.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

I hear ya on that. I simply buy all of my precip gear durring the winter on the super sale racks. Usually around 75% off so about 20-25 bucks for a jacket which is cheaper than regular priced impertech. If this event jacket holds up well it is all that I will own in the future. It is amazingly breathable I just need to find out if it really keeps the water out or not and for that it has to really rain. That said I am fine if it's lucky streak holds out for another season and I don't take more than a few sprinkles like our trip to Kodiak last year.

I've heard from a number of people who have it that Rivers West gets wet, stays wet, and is really heavy. I believe the Nimbus is insulated. If that's the case I'm not sure the attraction to an insulated rain suit since most people are looking for a more breathable yet functional rain suit. Sitka Stormfront lite stinks. The seems are worthless. The Stormfront is top notch, but a little trim cut. Otte makes some excellent gear. More roomy than Sitka and more generous with their cuts. Unfortunately it's a bit heavier than the Stormfront. Mountain Hardware also makes a Precep?? (I think that's the name) that's very light weight, fairly bomb proof, and more reasonably priced. Probably not the best choice for Dogs and Cats weather, but if you're on a sheep hunt and it's raining that hard you're probably inside.

Brett

My Nimbus is uninsulated and it also has arm pit vents that really help with keeping you from overheating while climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Expensive gear, but I'd check out Arc'teryx. They make some amazing gear that is incredibly water/wind proof.

Jon

what arcteryx jackets/pants would you recommend? thanks.

Default Arcteryx and sitka

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    what arcteryx jackets/pants would you recommend? thanks.
    Arteryx and Sitka gear............I wear both brands, and combos of both...who do you think is designing the stuff for Sitka?...................ummmm ARCTERYX !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Arteryx and Sitka gear............I wear both brands, and combos of both...who do you think is designing the stuff for Sitka?...................ummmm ARCTERYX !!!!
    I like you're picture!

Rivers West must be made out of Sham-Wow material.

After the first good rain, my 2 hunting partners were wearing 15lb jackets and 10lb pants. Allthough neither complained of being wet, one of them did borrow my extra set of Impertech and bought a set when we got back to town.
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast