Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival of halibut "traded up"

Default Survival of halibut "traded up"

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldnt find it in a search.

Whats the survival rate of halibut that are "traded up" - by that I mean having a still living halibut in a live well, catching a bigger one, keeping that one and sending the original one back to the depths.

The reason I ask is that I have a large fish hold (for a recreational 26 foot boat) in the belly of the new boat, its 5'-3" long, 26" wide and 20" deep. I can flood it via a big ball valve and pump more water into it or drain it as I want. Its kinda cool.

I'd like to "trade up" halibut if I can, but not if I'll kill the guys I'm sending back down.

Thanks
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Pretty sure high grading is illegal. Once that fish hits the hold it is in possession and thus, counts as part of your limit.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Pretty sure high grading is illegal. Once that fish hits the hold it is in possession and thus, counts as part of your limit.
    +1

This seems illegal, so I'm sure someone here will chime in with a reg that covers it.

I believe the regs state that any fish that is not going to be kept needs to be "immediately released". Have to look it up to be 100% sure or you could call fin and feathers and ask.

See definitions page 5 of fishing regs Molesting- "means the harassing, disturbing, or interfering with fish by any means, including the use of any missile or object not established as legal gear; molesting includes dragging, kicking, throwing striking, or otherwise abusing a fish which is intended to be released."

Once it's over the rail, it's yours. If you think it's too small to keep, remove the hook with the fish in the water. Sometimes you'll get bigger fish later, sometimes you'll wish you'd kept the smaller fish.

Not limiting out usually results in more fishing trips, which IMHO is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Not limiting out usually results in more fishing trips, which IMHO is a good thing.
    Now that is some wonderfully twisted logic that only a diehard fisherman could truly appreciate! It sometimes gets lost on wives, though...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Regardless of the regs, I don't know about anyone else, but when I put a fish in the fish box I've usually bonked it on the head with my "dispatcher" and then immediately bled it. I know I have halibut in there that stay "alive" for an hour or more sometimes even with a bashed in head and a severed main artery, but I'd never even consider throwing back a fish I've done that to.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If you have a live game fish in a live box with water, you are transporting game fish which is a class C misdermeanor

Default now that the troopers know the name of your boat...

just because they read the forum....

2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Tinkers Lair"

i would highly suggest you don't do it

(oh yeah, nice avatar too....)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    If you have a live game fish in a live box with water, you are transporting game fish which is a class C misdermeanor
    Interesting. I'm not questioning you, so PLEASE don't take this as "combative" or "argumentative" or anything along those lines. I'm just curious where you found this law. I believe you, but I'm just curious.

It's in the regs. You need a federal transport permit to do so. Call your local office for veryfication, ask for Nicky. Technically, a kid carrying a salmon fry in a plastic cup is doing the same thing.

It's in the regs. You need a federal transport permit to do so. Call your local office for veryfication, ask for Nicky. Technically, a kid carrying a salmon fry in a plastic cup is doing the same thing.
    Once again, I believe you. Just curious where in the regs. I like to be able to point things out like that to people when I tell them about it.

No problem, just trying help. This is to keep people from transporting and stocking gamefish where and whenever they want, such as pike

No problem, just trying help. This is to keep people from transporting and stocking gamefish where and whenever they want, such as pike
    OK! But once again, I'm just curious where that information is. I am not being argumentative or questioning you or doubting you or flaming you or anything like that. I just like to be able to read these things so if anyone asks me I can tell them, "Oh, it's on page such and such of such and such." That's all. When I quote someone a law I don't want to have to tell them, "Oh I heard it on a forum so it must be true." Honestly, I'm just curious.

I don't have the regs with me at this moment. I'm out of town in a hotel room at this exact moment, but tomorrow when I get to work, I will get the page number for you, or you can call Nicky Szars at 8:00 am in the morning at the ADF&G office in Homer, cool?

Default Took a whopping 10 seconds of searching on ADF&G

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Talking

Muttley has trouble finding things himself.
    You have to be very specific.
    How about "Dave, call Nicki Szarzi at 235-8191 and ask her to cite the AAC that prohibits the transport of live gamefish".
    Didja grok that, B8FISH?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for doing the leg work. I forgot the FTP was online.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    All I asked for was where it is in the regs as stated. That's a pretty simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
    You're welcome........

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast