Thread: Weight Distribution Hitches?

Default Weight Distribution Hitches?

Anyone using WD hitches on their double or triple axle trailers? My boat weighed in at 11,900 at the weight station. After a wet and windy drive down to Whittier this weekend, with a triple EZ loader trailer, I was thinking that maybe one might not be a bad idea.

My trailer has surge brakes, and the only WD hitch supposed to work with them is the Equal-i-zer brand WD hitch. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one on their boat trailer? Thanks.

Default air ride hitch

I purchased one of these years ago and have been very pleased with both the heavy boat and my skid steer trailer. Tranny temp lower and the feed back is negated. Added air bags to the back of my truck last season and they are working great for me also.

http://www.yourtrailerhitch.com/html/receivers.html

In addition I was going to go with the equalizer set up for surge brakes I but lost interest after using this hitch a few times.

I have the Equilizer WD hitch that I use on my Expedition hauling my Hewes Alaskan 240. My vehicle was rated for 5000 lbs towing but with the WD system, my towing capacity was increased to 8500 lbs. My load stays level, and it works well with the surge brakes. I did have to install the pole tonge adapter since its a single pole trailer. Don't have a problem backing and locking up so far. One thing I do is I spray white grease on the bars to keep them lubricated. Other wise, they make noise like banging noises when turning at slow speeds as the bar is sliding back and forth. I got my WD System at Valley RV on the Parks Hwy. Very happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default PM

Hello Chico,

I just sent you a PM.

You don't say what you are towing with. With this sort of weight (towing), even if you use a F450 class or better, you will be amazed at how much better you tow with a WD type hitch. Wind, even from passing semi rigs, will no longer be such a big deal! The only way to tow IMHO.

Many people tend to tow with too small of a vehicle. If your boat and trailer, after a trip, weighs in at 11,500#, I bet full of gear and fuel you are 13K or so. I hope you check your vehicle tow rating
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    You don't say what you are towing with. With this sort of weight (towing), even if you use a F450 class or better, you will be amazed at how much better you tow with a WD type hitch. Wind, even from passing semi rigs, will no longer be such a big deal! The only way to tow IMHO.

Many people tend to tow with too small of a vehicle. If your boat and trailer, after a trip, weighs in at 11,500#, I bet full of gear and fuel you are 13K or so. I hope you check your vehicle tow rating
    I agree on how well the sway control is, even in wind. My trailer tracks very well, and even though I am about 900 pounds shy of my max towing capacity, it handles very well. I just wish I had a bigger motor. When I get a 2011 F250 with the all Ford 6.2 motor next spring, I will still use the Equilizer WD System.

BTW, PM recieved and answered.

Mark

A number of years ago I worked at Camping World in the parts department and I can tell you that they were never returned because they didn't make any difference. All the people I have every talked to really love them. Sure they have some little issues, but when compared to not towing with one, the differenece is incredible.

Default One Ton Dodge

Thanks for the replies. I am towing with a 2005 Dodge 3500 with Cummins diesel. I am sold on them, just have to figure out the right set-up. It will be like everything else with the boat, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Sasquatch,

Here is another pic of the boat hooked up to the Expedition. Its a little blurry, sorry. But notice how level it is for a 1/2 ton vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Sasquatch,

Here is another pic of the boat hooked up to the Expedition. Its a little blurry, sorry. But notice how level it is for a 1/2 ton vehicle.
    Twin engines, aluminum boat, fuel, people in the "car"...have you weighed this out??? Leveling a load seems to be the least you need to worry about IMHO, unless you are have less than 5K in weight.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Twin engines, aluminum boat, fuel, people in the "car"...have you weighed this out??? Leveling a load seems to be the least you need to worry about IMHO, unless you are have less than 5K in weight.
    With the WD system, Ford says I can haul 8500 pounds. Without only 5000lbs. Boat weighs loaded 7500 at the scales. When I tow, I am the only one in the vehicle and no other gear. The only time I feel slightly uncomfortable is when I am climbing out of Homer and I crest the hill at 25 mph. It's not that I feel like I'm gonna loose control, I worry about power, but its a 5.4 V-8 which you find in some F-250's also. Other than that, I've been just fine, even in the wind. But I am looking forward to getting my new F250 next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    With the WD system, Ford says I can haul 8500 pounds. Without only 5000lbs. Boat weighs loaded 7500 at the scales.
    My bet is that you mean the hitch folks say you can bump up...but if FORD did say that, I would also guess that is the total poundage (truck, trailer, gear). No doubt your rig "can" pull this load, it is the stopping that is a BIG problem. Most boat trailers only have surge brakes, which can be really scary. I have a F250 Powerstroke and regularly pull 10K...but I beefed the rig up to a 1 ton status. With your weight, a F250 is a minimum that you want. Diesel performance when towing is completely different than a gas engine, but they are also much heavier, which has to be taken into account. A WD hitch can be used on your new rig too, and will really help your driving. Until you use it you really won't be able to understand how much less stress will be on you and your arms.

My bet is that you mean the hitch folks say you can bump up...but if FORD did say that, I would also guess that is the total poundage (truck, trailer, gear). No doubt your rig "can" pull this load, it is the stopping that is a BIG problem. Most boat trailers only have surge brakes, which can be really scary. I have a F250 Powerstroke and regularly pull 10K...but I beefed the rig up to a 1 ton status. With your weight, a F250 is a minimum that you want. Diesel performance when towing is completely different than a gas engine, but they are also much heavier, which has to be taken into account. A WD hitch can be used on your new rig too, and will really help your driving. Until you use it you really won't be able to understand how much less stress will be on you and your arms.
    I talked to two of the service writers at Kendall Ford, use to be Nye Ford. Both said the same thing. The tow package was installed by Ford. One of the guys still is there, he's the one I was talking about the new F250 with the 6.2 Liter Engine. Never had a problem going down hill, my surge brakes work well with the Equilizer WD System. Thats what the Equilizer was made for, to be compatible with Surge Brakes. Like I said, I only feel worried climbing out of Homer and only because you can only hit the bottom of the hill at 35 MPH to begin with and every tom dick and harry pulling out in front of you that could care less that your hauling a boat, its tough going up that hill. I have no problem climbing out of Turnagain to Seward.

Chico....I think you are leaving me even more confused than I normally am A WD hitch helps level you out so your trailer is neither butt high or low. It is also fantastic in reducing/preventing sway from wind (or big trucks going by). I had a really bad experience once with a horse trailer, and I will never haul a heavy bumper pull without a WD hitch again. Other than making your rig more level, I am not sure how you think it may increase your speed Or maybe I am not understanding you (which is likely). The new Ford PS diesel is 100 times the engine that the 5.4 Liter gasser (IMHO)...and even without a WD hitch you will be "flying" out of Homer

My point was that many folks really don't understand "Just because a rig can tow something, that alone does not make it safe". My unfortunate experience is that a dealership often wants to "make a sale"...I would want it in writing before buying...that is me. If you are towing more than your rig is rated for, get into an accident, you could be held liable even if you were not at fault as you could be considered having an unsafe load. If you have not found the http://www.thedieselstop.com/ may I recommend you go and check out the Towing section. Extremely helpful folks, many of whom have had bad experiences doing what I have mentioned above. Every State has its own rules, but I found I had a lot to learn about safe hauling. Now go catch some Halibut!!!

Chico....I think you are leaving me even more confused than I normally am A WD hitch helps level you out so your trailer is neither butt high or low. It is also fantastic in reducing/preventing sway from wind (or big trucks going by). I had a really bad experience once with a horse trailer, and I will never haul a heavy bumper pull without a WD hitch again. Other than making your rig more level, I am not sure how you think it may increase your speed Or maybe I am not understanding you (which is likely). The new Ford PS diesel is 100 times the engine that the 5.4 Liter gasser (IMHO)...and even without a WD hitch you will be "flying" out of Homer

My point was that many folks really don't understand "Just because a rig can tow something, that alone does not make it safe". My unfortunate experience is that a dealership often wants to "make a sale"...I would want it in writing before buying...that is me. If you are towing more than your rig is rated for, get into an accident, you could be held liable even if you were not at fault as you could be considered having an unsafe load. If you have not found the http://www.thedieselstop.com/ may I recommend you go and check out the Towing section. Extremely helpful folks, many of whom have had bad experiences doing what I have mentioned above. Every State has its own rules, but I found I had a lot to learn about safe hauling. Now go catch some Halibut!!!
    LOL Guess I painted the wrong picture. I know the WD will not help speed, I just want more speed and power, so thats why I want a new truck but have to wait until next year. I am just complaining about that 5.4 and not happy with it for towing, but it does the job. I wish I could tow with my MH as I know that V10 will pull with no problem, but Ford nor Fleetwood will allow a WD for insurance purposes on the MH as the frame is over extended from the rear axle to the hitch already therefore only allowing 5000 pounds to tow with and 500 pounds of tonge weight. The WD divides the weight by distributing weight to the front axle while taking some of the weight off the back, thats why it levels out and why you technically haul a little more weight than normal with braking assistance which I get from the Surge Brakes. At least that is what was explained to me by two ford service writers, the dealer for the WD system and talking to Equilzer Customer Service. If they all tell me the same story and ford installed the Tow Package and thats what the specs say when looking at the tow package, then I still think I am about 800-900 pounds to the good with what the scales tell me. Anyways, this issue will only be for one more year, which includes one tow to Seward where the boat will spend most of the summer, then from Seward to Homer once, then home back to Palmer once. Then next year, I get my new F250. And yes, lets go get some Butt, Salmon, Lings, Yellow Eye, Tanner Crab and Spot Shrimp!!!!!

Looks like we are mostly on the same page But I do caution you about anything that is said by a dealership though. It has been my experience that anything that is "added" to our FORD trucks will be what "causes" any problem, therefore they void the warranty. IMHO it is a scam that is done on a regular basis. For example, you can buy a plow installed by Cal or Kendall, and you void your warranty "How do we know that the plow didn't cause your started to break?". Get it in writing or NEVER mention you have towed more than the metal sticker on your door frame says you can tow regardless of hitch ratings.

As to the engines...the V10 is strong engine with lots of power, but I could never go back. If you haven't ever towed with a diesel, it is totally different. The diesel engines tend to be much lower RPM, can be a little slower off the line in a drag, but are "made" to tow...the heavier the better. When cruising south on the Seward Highway with your boat in tow you may tend to forget you are hauling a load. The big climb south of Portage will get you grinning instead of making your hemorrhoids pucker Just remember, there is no such for women that a diamond can be too big...and for a man there is no such thing as a truck that is too big Fish on!

Chico,
    Check the price differences between the 250 & 350 if not overly high get the 350. You will welcome the extra capacities. Whatever you decide to get don't get a short bed......

I see the benefits of using the WD system on a double but I am not sure about a triple as you could be applying more pressure to the rear axle of the trailer. A sway control might be a better investment for a triple. If I had the chance to try one I would give you my honest opinion as I do tow a bunch (5000 miles average) all summer. The most important thing is to make sure all is level for towing to start with.