Thread: DIY Caribou

Default DIY Caribou

I drew the caribou tag for unit 20A. I ma planning on a walk-in type hunt. DIY with 2 buddies. Can anyone tell me were there have gone or suggest where I should go. We are planning on going to Healy Creek, but will go anywhere to harvest one.

Default caribou tag

You have to draw a tag for caribou in Alaska? I thought you just get a license and have a bag limit like we do white tail deer here in Bama.

J,
    I have not done this hunt but from the information about 20A caribou they reside mainly in an area known as Iowa Ridge...30ish miles down the Rex Trail That's a looong way to walk. If I recall the drawing supplement describes this herd as very remote and difficult to access.

Familyman here on the forum ATV'd in last season a took a bull early, but I don't know exactly where he went. As I understand it this hunt is best accessed by supercub.

efendi: this particular hunt is a draw due to the smallish size of the herd and the general popularity of the area for other species
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erik,

Thanks for the clarification. Is it difficult to obtain a tag? What are your chances of getting a tag and do you need tags for other species? I wouldn't think that shortage of game would be a problem with such a limited population...

Default jcorwin

there is a thread from 3 weeks ago with some info. The thread name is "Caribou unit 20a". I'm not sure if you have seen it yet or not.

I put in for this tag every year and have yet to draw it. My plans for hunting this area were to fly in then float out. There are some bruiser caribou in this area but they are difficult to get too.

I also hunted this area back in the early 90's off of 4 wheelers but the trail we used now has too many limitations to allow you access to those caribou. You can still find some but they are few and far between and are mostly dinks and cows.

Default where to?

so looking at the regs, it looks like you can get into the sheep hunting from delta via 4-wheeler after aug 25th. can you get the bou from that side and if so where do you go in?

Default ...

This hunt is hard, even for people with air plane usage. Been putting in for this hunt for 10 years and never drew. It's a good tag for a NICE caribou, but is a hard hunt at it's easiest.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default expect

i dont expect to have any easy time doing this hunt. i would love to just use my 4-wheeler for this hunt, but im not sure if thats the way to go or not. my brother-in-law went down healy creek last year and shot his, be it small, he still harvested a bou. i would love to shoot a monster, but a caribou would be nice. i am also going to try and get a griz and some sheep. so can i go from the delta side on my wheeler, and were do i go. i am not hunting until the 26th of august.