Thread: Which rod combo to get

Default Which rod combo to get

I am looking at the four piece redington cutwater 5weight and the Ross essence 4/5 weight 4 piece with the flystart 1 reel. Is there any reason to avoid either of these I am leaning towards the Ross because the redington has a plastic reel

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I have the redington crosswater 8 wt. four piece. It's not great, but it works. I've caught reds, silvers and 10 lb. brown trout on it.

I'll replace the whole outfit in a year or two with something better, but for now it catches fish.

I don't think the Reddington stands up to comparison with the Ross. I'm not sure if they make an outfit as light or how they compare in price, but I'll throw the TFO up alongside the Ross for a better comparison. TFO rods are impressing the heck out of me, and I've got a house full of Sage, Loomis, Powell, Scott and Winstons. I have zip experience with the Ross rods, but their reels are great, which makes the choice between Ross and TFO a little tougher. I wouldn't expect to need a great reel in such a light outfit, so that might tip my choice to TFO if the compromise in the Ross outfit was the rod, while the compromise in a TFO outfit was the reel.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I don't think the Reddington stands up to comparison with the Ross. I'm not sure if they make an outfit as light or how they compare in price, but I'll throw the TFO up alongside the Ross for a better comparison. TFO rods are impressing the heck out of me, and I've got a house full of Sage, Loomis, Powell, Scott and Winstons. I have zip experience with the Ross rods, but their reels are great, which makes the choice between Ross and TFO a little tougher. I wouldn't expect to need a great reel in such a light outfit, so that might tip my choice to TFO if the compromise in the Ross outfit was the rod, while the compromise in a TFO outfit was the reel.
    I've never cast the TFO rods (hear great things) but ..... I've got two of the 10/11 TFO reels and they are a heck of a deal for $100. I needed an extra spool for my Lamson that was $75, my gal-pal had one of the big TFO's, it balanced better than my Lamson on my Spey so I just bought another TFO reel for an extra $25.... the Lamson spools are $75 and the TFO spools of $50..... but anyway those big TFO reels are a real deal..... enough said.

L

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Apples to Oranges

I just looked at the price range on the Ross Essence, and they're way more money than the Redington - at least the crosswater. I couldn't find a "cutwater" but I also know Redington has rods that cost a lot more than the crosswater.
    From Cabelas.com:
    Redington Crosswater combo $99-129
    Ross Worldwide Essence combo $264-289
    Nobody ever mentioned a TFO model but the combos range anywhere from $199-385

I've cast a Lefty Kreh TFO rod that cost around $150 for just the rod, it was nice. In fact I broke it in its first hour of use, good thing it was warrantied.

Consider your budget and cast as many different rods as you can to find out which one you like. I've got a friend who planned on buying a sage and walked out the door with a cabelas brand rod (which was $350 cheaper) simply because he liked it the best.
    Last edited by scott_rn; 05-19-2010 at 12:15. Reason: corrected prices

the flystart has a pretty weak drag system so if you are planning to fish for larger bows I'd look at a different reel
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Basing a statement about a rod by the companies reel doesn't make too much sense to me. Also, most people that put reels up to serious use (fishing the kenai, fighting salmon that make hard runs, etc.) stay far from Ross reels. The better Ross reels are made in the USA where the outfits are Ross Worldwide, which are made overseas. The Ross Worldwide reels aren't very good, but I have no idea about the rods, just know they are made over seas.
    I would go with the TFO if I were you. They are made in the USA and have an excellent warranty.

I bought the Ross I liked the most for the money

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Basing a statement about a rod by the companies reel doesn't make too much sense to me. Also, most people that put reels up to serious use (fishing the kenai, fighting salmon that make hard runs, etc.) stay far from Ross reels. The better Ross reels are made in the USA where the outfits are Ross Worldwide, which are made overseas. The Ross Worldwide reels aren't very good, but I have no idea about the rods, just know they are made over seas.
    I would go with the TFO if I were you. They are made in the USA and have an excellent warranty.
    He's looking for a 4-weight for grayling. No sweat.

Ross Worldwide reels just don't feel good to me. Reeling them up they feel loose and junky. One would be just fine for grayling though, you are right about that.

I was mostly trying to stick to a budget for a lighter rod for smaller fish, I probably should have emphasized the price more the TFO rods looked like I would have been spending a little more and then buying the cheapest reel on the shelf which I am worried would have failed

You hardly use a reel for grayling fishing. Most of the time the line is held in your hand and only reeled in to land a big fish. Having a decent casting rod will give you more enjoyment in the fishing.

Oh I never said it was for grayling someone else threw that in somewhere along the way here

Oh, then yeah you want a reel with a reasonable drag. I think the click and pawl drags are better than the cheeper reel's good drags. With a fish putting a huge run it can wear down the thin disk found on most cheep reels, while a click and pawl rarely brakes and your hand is used as the drag. I caught a lot of fish on the Ross Flystart, which is what you got i think, and the spool started to wobble on me pretty quickly. But, it did it's job for the hear it lasted.

Good luck,
    Riley