Thread: Tires & Windshield for Ranger

Default Tires & Windshield for Ranger

I'm doing my homework on new tires for the Ranger 700XP (4x4) and wanted some Alaska opinions. I would really like a good all around 26in trail tire but I know that in the mud is where you really see the difference so I'm open to suggestions. So far I've looked at the ITP Mudlite XTRs, Maxxis Bighorns, and Maxxis Zillas.

The other major portion of this decision is (of course) the shipping cost. If I can find local tires it certainly makes things a lot cheaper.

Does anyone have experience with a 1/2 windshield on a Ranger? I just need something for the interim before I spend the big bucks on a full cab.

Thanks

Default ITP 589's

I have ITP 589's on my 2010 Ranger 6X6 and they are awesome for AK trails, mud, swamps, etc. They have a stiff side wall and I have yet to break a bead, or puncture one. They have stiff paddles that do not wear quickly. I had 2.5 lbs of pressure in one of my front tires and it was only because I checked it that I noticed. They are heavier than ITP Mudlites but if you're going with a 26" tire then you'll not notice a power loss. They do run small so a 26" tire is real world only 24.5. I'd go with a 27" and you'll be closer to your stock size maybe a touch bigger.

I have buddies who ride Mudlites and they love 'em and there is a following on the forum for the other tires that you mentioned. Anything is better than stock. Good luck.

Have mudlite xtrs on our 2009 ranger xp. I get slight rubbing on one side when the shock is fully compressed. Not really a big deal.

Otherwise the tires have performed well in mud and dry rocky areas (like Jonesville) Got stuck once in the muskeg but that was a fluke On that occasion the treads filled with muskeg and turned the tires into racing slicks.

I carry the stock front tire and rim as a spare when on long trips.

Can honestly say the rig turned into a different beast when the new tires went on.

I have the 09 XP 4x4 Ranger, I had HPAK install ITP mudlite XTR's,27" Huge difference. I also have the half windshield and the soft top. I had a full cab and windshield on a previous one and didnt like it, way to hot in the summer, windshield was alway steamed up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome, thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Mudlite XTRs. Sounds like everyone's real happy with them that's used 'em.

Arctic Mirage..... who makes the windshield you're using?

Its a Polaris product i think? I had Hatchers put it on before I picked it up. I put my last one on my self and I am pretty sure it said Polaris on the box.

Default tires

Motosport.com ships tires to Alaska, cost is around $66, I ordered at set from them and the price was significantly cheaper than local even with shipping