Thread: kids vs bugs??

New Zealand (but TOronto at present for a year until 7/10)

Default kids vs bugs??

We are bringing two small children (5mths and 2yrs) for a RV-camping holiday in Alaska - can anyone let me know how to best manage / avoid bites - are the bugs in July as bad as my guidebook suggests?? thanks

Default Where exatly are you going to be?

Depending on what part of the state you are in, bugs vary greatly. Up north of Fairbanks, mosquitos and gnats can eat a person alive. The trick is to wear lightweight LAYERS! There are many home remedies for bug dope, and personally I wear a bandana drenched with deet so as not to be on my skin so much.

Around the oceans gnats can be bad. I get tore up, but for whaterver reason my kids are barely touched. layers are the key again here. OFF Skintastic seems to help with the ocean type gnats.

The bugs aren't horrible, but they can be annoying. The trick is wering layers, and using every available trick to combat them. Also pray for some wind, that helps a lot too. I am also a strong believer that eating a good amount of garlic helps. I even take garlic capsules as a supplement...

I am sure others will shime in, but these are what have worked for me and I have lived in Interior Alaska most of my 30+ yrs.

thanks a lot for the reply, we are starting with a trip through kenai peninsula to homer, then back up along george parks highway to chena hot springs.

The good news is the mosquitoes are generally worse in June.

One really good thing to use is a Therma Cell. It uses a small amount of butane to heat a chemically treated pad for 4 hours, giving off a scent you can hardly detect, but repels most bugs within a 10' radius. It doesn't work well if you're trudging through the woods, but once you stop it gets them to move out of the area. 2-3 of those around your campsite will help a lot.

Another option is pretreated bug repellent clothing. Adds a bit of cost, but it seems to work well through several washings.

thanks, will look into one of those, we have used mozzie coils and citronella in the past in NZ and sometimes i think it actually attracts them!