Thread: hooligan newb question

Default hooligan newb question

went hooligan netting for the first time yesterday got a cooler full and started cleaning them last night was up untill 2 in the morning so here is the question, how many days can you keep them in the fridge whole before they go bad? i still have a bunch to clean!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

My solution: Freeze them whole, cook them whole, eat them whole. Saves a lot of time cleaning!

Seriously, when they are thoroughly cooked you can't really tell the guts from the rest, and it's not going to hurt you. The ones with eggs are the best.

You can refrigerate them for a few days just fine. I find that a 5 gallon bucket provides me enough ooilies for the whole year (unless we make grease). You can also spread the processing time out by tossing some in a brine for the smokehouse or by drying some of them.

I like to package 1 dozen each in a quart size ziplock and that makes a fine meal for two. They are good eating without processing, but I prefer to head and gut them. I think it makes them more appetizing that way.

right on thanks reason for so many is that i wanted some for bait, gets rather expensive buying bait all the time
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

I cleaned the ones I ate, but most I use for bait. I usually throw a hand full of whole fish in a bag and freeze. Then set them out to thaw the day before I use them.

Here's a quick, easy, and yummy way to prepare them:

Take whole hooligan and roll them in dry beer batter mix. Don't make it a batter, just use it dry. Thoroughly coat the fish.

Take a cookie sheet and apply liberal amounts of butter or oil to the bottom. Lay a single layer of hooligan in the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes or so at 350. Take the pan out and flip the fish, then put it back in for another 20 minutes. Check the fish after that. You want the tails to be dry and crunchy like a chip. Once they are evenly browned, pull them out and eat whole!

Default Cleaning Hooligan used as bait?

When I use them for bait I just put the amount I want in ziploc freezer bags. If they are dirty/sandy I rinse them off first otherwise no cleaning needed if using for bait. You will want them whole for using as bait anyway. Just remove the excess air from the bag. You can also use a vaccum sealer but isn't usually neccessary.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    The ones with eggs are the best.
    I agree!!!!!!

I just ate 20 of em, and my son ate about 15 of em. I had to take a 3 hour nap I'll be binging on these for a while.........only 20 more gallons to go