Thread: Lake Louise Campground

Default Lake Louise Campground

Never been there, but want to know if it will accommodate bigger rigs. Have a 40ft 5th wheel toyhauler and need a spot big enough for it. Also want to make sure campground access roads are wide enough (trees aren't too close). Don't want to get half way in and realize our truck tire is off the road on one side, while the trailer ran out of room on the inside...sucks to inch that monster out backwards.

Otherwise, any other suggested place in that area? Would like to squeeze in some fishing.

Thanks in advance!!
    Holli

Holli,
    There are several places to camp. The state campground ($15 per night) has several spots that have 5th wheels in them at times. It is a bit tight, but not henious. There is also a campground (free) near the boat launch. It is long and skinny. I would believe that you could turn around there. I can easily turn a 4-door dodge with a cabover and a 20+ foot long boat behind it. There are also a couple pull outs off the road itself. I have not been to the old Army campground. The boat launch area can be really packed on some weekends so if you want to park there be there early!

If you are bringing ATVs.... this is not a great ATV area. There are very few trails of any kind around and lots of private property around the lake. If you see a great little trail near the lake, it probably goes directly to someones cabin. The snowmachine trails are bottomless and fragile. The gravel pit will not support your rig and will probably be in use by the contractor that is adding onto the airport strip.

The last mile of road is heaving something TERRIBLE and getting worse. You could easily tip over a camper if you are at speed. 10 MPH MAX! There are several areas along the Lake Louise road itself what are getting bad too.

If you do not have a boat, Lake Louise is a tough place to fish. It can get very rough in just a few minutes with 4+ foot rollers. If you go out on the lake be prepared to spend a few hours if not the night. In early June it can still freeze and or snow.

VHF Channel 11.

If you go through the channel - HEED ALL WARNINGS! Call that you are northbound/southbound and when you are clear. Be prepared for traffic. Do not stop to fish. If you wish to fish the channel, park your boat on the Lake Louise side and walk to the channel. It is easier walking from the Lake Louise side.

The lake is still very low! Boating around any of the islands can be hazardous. Be very carefull hugging the bank on the west side of the lake past Larson Bay. It is very shallow and eats props/plugs jets. It may even be above water this year. I had several visitors last summer and all had hit hard.

The launch may get bad... too early to know yet. The launch at the state camground was unusable except for the small low trailers last fall. That is backing into the lake until the front of the truck is 20-30 feet off shore. Use the public launch at mile 20.

Please release all big lakers!

Mike

Default How is the ice

right now. Was thinking of going up there for Memorial Day.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

It is only 1 in 4 years that the ice is out for Memorial Day. I would call one of the lodges a couple days in advance to check. If it starts raining, it might go out faster.

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the great and detailed information. I know it took valuable minutes out of your day, but it was much appreciated...way more than I expected.

Have a great summer!

Holli

If you do not have a boat. There is a guy that charters for lake trout. He is a charactor and funny as heck. Check with Tree at Wolverine Lodge for better information. Your chances of catching a nice fish go up dramatically!
    Mike

How is the public campground across the lake? I was told there is some campground across the lake only accessible by boat during the summers. Is this true?

There is not a public campground, only a piece of public land. No faciilities. Nice sandy beach, very little firewood, no bathrooms. Can be shallow parking. Not sheltered from the waves when the lake gets up. If you use it, please pack out your trash! I filled 2 bags a couple years ago.

Mike

I meant to say public land/beach and not campground. A buddy of mine owns a cabin on the lake and was thinking about heading down there sometime while he's there. Just not too sure if we are going to stay at his place or find a place to pitch camp. I'll be sure to tote some firewood and no worries here about leaving a mess behind-that's not how I roll!

Thanks