Thread: 300 savage for bullwinkle

Default 300 savage for bullwinkle

Hey Folks

Just got a call from the soon to be father in law and I'm not sure what he's hiding about his daughter but he continually keeps sweetening her "dowry"

Anyhoo, we were talking about guns this past weekend and he mentioned a closet full of them back at his dad's place (no one in this family hunts anymore) and at the mentioning of a model 99 300 savage out of the twenties, he saw my eyes light up. So, he talked to his dad about passing on some of the guns to the new son in law and as soon as I pop the question...he said he'd consider it an heirloom and it would be in my gunrack by moose season (no pressure right)

Not that I needed any more motivation regarding the gal (the crazy girl is going back to Dillingham with me) but I have adored this gun since I was a kid...as a lefty, they are even better. But, my question is...what are the general thoughts on this gun for moose, what about ammo supplies, reloading etc. I'm pretty simple with my gun collection...I've got a 270 338 and shotguns and 22lr and 22mag. and rarely thought of expanding but really can't pass this up and don't believe that a functioning gun stays in the safe for posterity. I want to use this thing but want to do it right. Oh, and I guess she will shoot it when she's ready.

He also mentioned a 33 winchester...which nearly stopped my heart but one step at a time.

It's a dandy, as long as you have the intestinal fortitude to pass up marginal shots. Moose aren't that hard to kill, no matter what the professional gun pimps have to say or sell.

As for supplies, ammo is still available though not wide spread. You should have no trouble at all ordering it, but you're not likely to walk into the corner sporting goods store and find it on the shelf. As far as I know there are no factory loads with premium bullets, but it's an easy fix if you are or know a handloader. My choice of bullets in the round is the 165 grain Nosler, but that isn't kicking dirt on standard factory loads. This round pushes standard cup-and-core bullets in the right velocity range to bring out the best in them.

And best of all, you have emotion and family history tied in with that gun. That makes it better than any gun in any caliber you can buy, in my book!!!

Hey there nomad,

The 300 savage is a highly efficient little cartridge and it's best to keep the bullets around the 165-168 grain range. It was a cutting edge little cartridge and was "thinkin stock" for the design of the 7.62X51 (308 winchester). I'm attempting to get my son a savage model 99 also, my gun rack has little worth without a 99. A 165 grain nosler partition, and that little cartridge will still have enough case capapcity to push that bullet almost as fast as a 308 would with identical bullets, it's when you try to stuff a 180 grainer in the case that things start to slow down substantially.

If you read some old literature from the period you'll find the .300 Savage was considered quite the critter killer "back in the day".

Animals haven't changed at all so I'd use it and be happy doing it in your shoes. Of course the moose won't have any idea you just used such an underpowered antique on him and will readily succumb to the double lung shot.

Smile

What ever you do.............don`t let that Sav 99 get away from you! Moose or no Moose, that`s a fine old gun!

Thanks for all the info guys, especially the ammo recommendations. I took my first moose with a single shot 270 so feel pretty confident that the magnum boys are just justifying their obsession (and there's nothing wrong with that) and am very excited to use this gun. My first deer hunt back in WI was with my dad and his buddy who had a 99 in 300 savage...it was kinda a love at first sight thing...and 22 years later I may have one of my own. About ten years ago I saw one in medium but shootable condition in 308 for about 200 bucks...not buying that one has haunted me every since and really couldn't justify how much these puppies are going for these days. I've got a buddy that is an avid reloader and he's always lookin to put together loads for folks with calibers other than what he's got (which is a substantial collection to say the least) and he's on board to help me out.

No worries on passin on the marginal shots, I started hunting as bowhunter and my sight window always entails a broadside with the vitals showing...anything else keeps the safety on, plus I really enjoy calling moose in and don't particularly care to shoot more than 150 yards anyway...the tighter the better (well, I guess this goes for a lot of things).

Another question....I'm wondering about scoping it....do they come tapped or would this be a gunsmithing situation...and would I want to do that anyway...I'm on the fence, I'm definitely not an optics nut but appreciate a solid rest and a good scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Another question....I'm wondering about scoping it....do they come tapped or would this be a gunsmithing situation...and would I want to do that anyway...I'm on the fence, I'm definitely not an optics nut but appreciate a solid rest and a good scope.
    In that age class, it may not be tapped. No loss. I greatly prefer their balance and handling without a scope. And I prefer tang peeps to standard. They're still around for the 99, but if you can't find one there's always Williams.

All of my 99's but one have tang peeps, and sighted in with the POI right at the top of the front bead, you can make amazingly long shots simply because you can still see the critter. Sight in for the center of the bead, and you can't see a deer behind the bead at 100 yards.

The single scoped 99 I have is a 284. A family friend gave it to me and it was his pride and joy as is, so I keep it that way in his memory. The scope is an old Weaver K-4, not my first choice by any means, so the gun is neither fish nor fowl for long and short range shooting. Yet it's done remarkably well for both. I just don't like the extra weight or balance, compared to bare with a peep.

I'm more prejudiced than either conservatives or liberals when it comes to my 99's, and I'm definitely prejudiced against scopes on them. Others love them, but since I'm RIGHT, they must be wrong. Or is that politics?

I watched my brother in law take 2 moose with the 300 savage. Both of them tipped right over.

I am a "magnum guy" myself, but theres no denying what I saw with that gun...Close range of course, we called both bulls in and shot under 50 yds.

Default Model 99E

I was fortunate enough to inherit a Savage Model 99E in .308 Win. lever action. I killed my first whitetail with it and intend on my son gettin his first kill withit this year. I love it and have had alot of offers on it but can't let it go. If you find one in good shape grab it you won't regret it.