Thread: trolling with a 75hp 4 stroke

Default trolling with a 75hp 4 stroke

I'm looking at a new crestliner 1650 boat full top and console as a lake fishing boat and keeping my freighter for just rivers.It comes with a 75hp 4-stroke, can you troll with a 75hp or will it be to fast?

thanks

Well i am assuming it is a prop, and if you do troll with the 75, you may want to get one of the "fancy" trolling plates to slow ya down... The only problem with them that I have experienced is that sometimes people, myself included, forget to pop the lock so that they come back up for high speed travel... I have seen a lot of the bent back up by the prop power to a non-repairable bend... I know other people use drag buckets or water parachutes to slow them down, but personally I think those cause a lot of disturbance... My two cents..

I troll with an F250 without issues. You can really idle these 4 strokes down.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have trolled with a 90 without any difficulty.

I've trolled with a 75hp and 90hp Honda's without problems.
    They use very little fuel while trolling.
    Doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    I'm looking at a new crestliner 1650 boat full top and console as a lake fishing boat and keeping my freighter for just rivers.It comes with a 75hp 4-stroke, can you troll with a 75hp or will it be to fast?

thanks
    I think that you are going to like trolling with your 75 most of the time. My 45 hp Hondas will go as slow as 2.0 mph on the GPS without loading up at all. It wouldn't be great for the really finicky fish, oh wait all fish have fins....but I don't want to catch those stuck up son of fishes anyway.....

But while your 75 will work most of the time, a small kicker is nice when fishing for kings as you can backtroll with the tide or river current and put plugs and bait right in front of their noses as this often times works when nothing else will. I am not sure it is worth all the trouble though as you will catch lots of them with your 75.

Spring loaded trolling plates work great. Another technique of course is to go in and out of gear. I've had to do that at Deep Creek when running with the tide.

Default Honda 90

My Honda 90 trolls all day long around 2 m.p.h. The tides and winds can cause problems making us too fast so we just drag a foot over the side to slow us down.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If I can troll my 18 ft walleye type semi vee boat with a 90 two stroke you should have no problems with that 75.