Thread: Electra Dyne pot puller on a Kingfisher

Default Electra Dyne pot puller on a Kingfisher

A customer sent me these pictures of his install of a ED hauler with the new gunnel mount. Looks like a simple & clean install to me. He also emailed a little note that said "We hooked it up to the 4 wheeler last night and it pulled it all the way up my driveway, with me on it!".
    ED gunnel mount on jerrys boat.jpg

ED gunnel mount close up.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default ED

Electro-Dyne is the way to go. Have not seen that gunnel mount yet but looks like it will work. Spent a perm fund on my ED years ago.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

If I had the room I would have one in a minute, but even with that setup it takes up alot of realestate.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    If I had the room I would have one in a minute, but even with that setup it takes up alot of realestate.
    I will post a picture of my ED install in a week or so I have not picked up the new boat yet, it hangs more over the gunnel so it does not take up much space in the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    I will post a picture of my ED install in a week or so I have not picked up the new boat yet, it hangs more over the gunnel so it does not take up much space in the cockpit.
    I would like to see it, I would definetly like one.

I forgot to mention that the davit is removable just pull the pin and it comes off for storage and the hauler & mount also are removable, same thing just pull the 2 pins from the mount on the gunnel and off she comes.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Here's the install I did on my 24' Hewes... tucked it in under the window behind where the door latches open. it really does not take up much space that is usable - even when fishing on the deck, that space was not used. My boat came with the davit arm already built/installed, so this was my best option (it removes with a single pin BTW). If you don't have an arm already, you have some other possibilities I would think.

'04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Here is a picture of the davit without the ED bolted on. It actually came out this way on accident. I bought the ED before the Sportsman Show season and had the davit you see made for a display and took it to Puyallup WA & Portland OR shows to test the waters on being a dealer down here (no competition to Steve Potbuilder up there) it was hard sell and I ended up not selling any and not having many interested parties.

I believe the reason they did not sell down here is being the shrimp seasons down this way only last a matter of hours so the light duty gear holds up fine to limited use. The haulers don't get used like they do in AK that is my theory. The cheaper ones costing much less were too much competition and I could not convince anyone of the merits of owning a better unit I also suck as a salesman.

I was having a boat built and so we decided to use the display davit that was built backwards so it balanced well on my display. I was going to have Wooldridge cut off the mounting and turn it around but after looking at how it looked I thought it would work good this way we left it as it was. Wooldridge did not build it originally I had a local guy out of Portland build it for the shows. The other problem was the davit tube was not heavy enough so i had them build a full length gusset to add strength. If it doesn't work it will be rebuilt but this way the motor sits over the gunnel. I still have to drill a series of holes in the gusset for hanging the block. I hope having it mounted this way works.

This picture is from my boat build thread in the power boats section. In the second picture you can see the mounting it will pin and be removable because down here it won't see much use. It sees most of its use when I haul it up to SE AK and vacation. Here is a link to my boat build thread there are a few more pictures in there.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=67875

Mike,
    Boat looks good only problem i see with mounting the hauler on the outside of the davit is where is your rope coming out of the hauler going to go? if you mount the knife/splitter on the inside of the hauler the best it will do is run the rope down next to the gunnel if that. If it was me i'd cut the davit off right above the hauler mount and shove a piece of boat shafting or sch 80 pipe in the pipe to make a "pin" then the top part of the davit would swivel around and the mounting plate could be turned more inboard. Just my two cents, try it the way you have it its a easy fix to change it.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Mike,
    Boat looks good only problem i see with mounting the hauler on the outside of the davit is where is your rope coming out of the hauler going to go? if you mount the knife/splitter on the inside of the hauler the best it will do is run the rope down next to the gunnel if that. If it was me i'd cut the davit off right above the hauler mount and shove a piece of boat shafting or sch 80 pipe in the pipe to make a "pin" then the top part of the davit would swivel around and the mounting plate could be turned more inboard. Just my two cents, try it the way you have it its a easy fix to change it.
    Steve
    I thought of that but I want to see how it works first I like the way the hauler is out of the way so I hope it works.

Old thread, but I have some questions:

1) what size aluminum pipe/tubing are you using to join the sliding pieces of davit up/down? Do you use a piece of PVC in between to provide a plastic bushing (and what size)?

2) What kind of electrical connectors are you using for the removable applications (how many amps does he ED pull)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Old thread, but I have some questions:

1) what size aluminum pipe/tubing are you using to join the sliding pieces of davit up/down? Do you use a piece of PVC in between to provide a plastic bushing (and what size)?

2) What kind of electrical connectors are you using for the removable applications (how many amps does he ED pull)?

My davits are made of sch 80 1-1/2 aluminum pipe, the hauler is mounted on 2" sch 80, no bushings.
    I know some customers have bought connectors at Polar Wire and i know of others using connectors made for snow plows. make sure its 4ga wire and use a 100amp breaker.
    The folks at ED tell me they draw 36-45 amps.
    Call me if you need more info 775-1692

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I will be getting in touch with you Steve. I have to wait for the 'other' boat to sell, which is in process.