Thread: Nuka bay

Default Nuka bay

There seems to be some interest in the private boats trying to make the run to Nuka Bay from Seward. I thought I would give you all a few points on trying to make that trip.

First of all and most important, it is a long way from Seward and very remote. There is nobody and nothing for 80 miles in any direction. Once you get there, catching fish is the easy part. If you look at the North Gulf Coast on a chart, you will notice that Gore Point ( the eastern entrance to Nuka Bay) is much farther South than say Montague. This bears important when looking at the weather. In general Nuka weather is windier and rougher than it is at the western entrance of Prince William Sound. My point is pick your days since you could run all the way out there only to find the swell and wind roaring up into the bay. I've done it before and it sucks.

Second the Pie Islands..Outter Island is CLOSED TO FISHING. It is federally protected and a sea lion rookery. If you get caught fishing that area you will get fined 10,000 dollars and they can take your boat. Ignorance of the law is not a free pass according the NOAA officer. NMFS flys planes over the area and they have a fast enforment boat that will go out there. In addition there are scientists on the island that will report you as will any commercial or charterboat that sees you fishing that area. The Island has a 3 mile no fishing zone around it. Respect this law or you will lose more than the money you spend on fuel.

Finally, I would suggest transiting Macarther Passage. Leave wildcat pass and kitten pass to those that have been through before. There are uncharted wash rocks way off shore of Toe point and some around Outter Island ( I have been here so long, I fished Outter before it was closed to fishing 12 years ago)

IF you want to go to Nuka, then go for it, but be careful! It is a much farther and more involved trip than going to Montague. There are also a lot more fish to be caught over there. I wouldn't consider going with out survival suits and an EPRIB on board. Make sure you tell someone exactly where you are planning on going and when you will be home... It is just too far and remote to buzz over with taking basic safety precautions.

Have fun and be careful

Default Welcome advice

Thanks for some valuable advice for heading out into the big water. I have been planning a trip to Nuka Bay since last summre and will be heading out in early July. We are traveling with another boat and will be out there for a couple of days. The course I plan on taking was through macarther passage, but was not positive it was navigatable based on the chart, is it a good passage even at low tide? Do you have any advice on a good moorage? again, thanks for pointing out that a trip to Nuka Bay should be well thought out and weather is a major factor.

you can go through Mcarther in either high or low tide, but be careful of whales when traveling through it ( I've almost hit a some). Another thing to notice when traveling through this passage is if the tide is ripping the water can stack up vertical ( kinda looks like wall of water ) and go all the way across. Just give her a little gas and go right on through. AK capt. makes a good point about the weather being so much different then out east, so be careful.
    Boatless

What is the differnce in distance between Nuka Bay and Montgue Island from Seward? Thanks for your help!

I was just looking at a chart, and it looks like Nuka is about 32 miles from the west side of Resurrection Bay vs. 48 miles from the east side of the bay to Montague.

I hope to do that trip this summer sometime, but I will be tagging along with Fishface if I do. Maybe if I get lucky I will get stuck out there for a week or two!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Did'nt they have some land around there for sale a couple of years ago?

I believe it was over the counter and on the lake.

( Was kinda interested in myself)

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I was just looking at a chart, and it looks like Nuka is about 32 miles from the west side of Resurrection Bay vs. 48 miles from the east side of the bay to Montague.

I hope to do that trip this summer sometime, but I will be tagging along with Fishface if I do. Maybe if I get lucky I will get stuck out there for a week or two!
    Jim,

I believe going to Nuka is 10 miles( maybe more) or so further then going out to the southwest tip of Montague. Ak capt. knows better then I but I think Seward to Cape Resurrection is like 19 miles and Seward to Cape Aialik is 25 miles. For anyone who has driven from Seward to Montague knows that it's not very pretty being so far off shore, but driving from Seward to Nuka is so much nicer. You go through a couple different passages, you can tuck in tight and get out of the choppy water, you are not very far off shore at all.
    Boatless

I think Nuka is about 10 or 15 miles farther mostly because you are making a number of course changes to actually get to the destination. Drawing a straight line makes it look closer than it really is. The best Anchorages are Paradise cove and moonlight cove. If you can find the Coast Pilot on the internet and look up Nuka Bay it gives detailed sailing directions and good anchorages and how to get into them. I would suggest consulting that book. It is great from Prince William Sound as well

Andy,

Have you been out west yet? I know my Dad is chomping at the bit to get back out there. Hopefully you guys can get a break from this weather and start making some money.
    Boatless

I have not been our west yet. I know a couple of boats went and did well. I actually got out today and fished out east and it was calm and fishing was solid on this side of the straight on the 50 fm edge. Seems like everything is moving along about like it should for this time of year. Did catch about 35 dogfish today, which is unusual for this time of year. My temp gauge said the surface temp is only 41 degrees, which I would have thought would discourage the dogfish.

WOW!!! Eric said he got a couple off the 8 mile area last week, one of which was huge puking up all kinds of bait. It seems a little strange that they would be showing so early. I always thought it was about the time the salmon show up and things start moving closer in shore. have you ever got them like that this early?
    Boatless

I'm just curious. I am in Homer and have thought about making the trip out to Nuka from this side. I've been out to the Chugach Islands area but never beyond. Would it possibly be a safer trip going from this side? I know there are some incredible tide rips along some of those areas going out that way, but it looks to me on the charts like it might be an easier trip from over here. Any thoughts on that? I'd love to go out there for a LONG weekend sometime this summer.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default Gore Point = Cape Fear

Gore Point is one of the most treacherous spots to get around. The combination of ripping Cook Inlet current and ocean swell have made that area- a place to avoid when ever possible. I have been around it on a 80' steel tug and been stopped completely by the straight up and down 10 footers. I am sure it is fine on a nice day but on a marginal one....You might have to spend a little extra time in Nuka, waiting for a window to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Gore Point is one of the most treacherous spots to get around. The combination of ripping Cook Inlet current and ocean swell have made that area- a place to avoid when ever possible. I have been around it on a 80' steel tug and been stopped completely by the straight up and down 10 footers. I am sure it is fine on a nice day but on a marginal one....You might have to spend a little extra time in Nuka, waiting for a window to get around.
    I've come back through Pogi on a big plus/minus tide before and gone from almost dead flat to about 6 or 7 ft. tidal rip waves in a matter of just about a hundred yards or so. I was actually pretty scared. So I can imagine what Gore must be like on a bad day. Thanks for the heads up.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post

We left Seldovia bound for Nuka back in the Fall of '90. Headed out for one of the 24 hour commercial halibut openers. Departed under blue skies and variable 10 knot winds with a forecast calling for more of the same through that evening. By the time we hit Chugach the storm line on the horizon was bearing down fast, it struck as the tide changed and man what a wall of water that created....Long story short, our trip went from nice to life and death in less than an hour. At one point we made on MILE in 2 HOURS banging into 18' seas. By the time we finally anchored in Pete's place the majority of the fleet was likewise in there, many missing windshields....

Dunno how many folks remember that storm (degraded typhoon out of Japan), but it was a real education on why Gore Pt. is so aptly named.

Great fishing in that Bay. But as noted by others, it can go to hell in a handbasket in no time flat.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."