Thread: Boating to Kodiak

Default Boating to Kodiak

what is the minimum size boat you guys think would be safe to take from Homer to Kodiak?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    what is the minimum size boat you guys think would be safe to take from Homer to Kodiak?
    People used to safely do it in a bidarka all the time. And I guess I should note, that on some occasions they never came back. For me to decide, I think the bigger the better. I think a 30 some footer with twin engines would be just fine. There probably a number of smaller boats that would be ok too.

Default Depends on the weather

I make the run a couple times a year from Seldovia over to Kodiak in a 28 footer. You just have to choose your weather. It helps to be able to go fast. Sometimes the weather windows close faster than they are supposed too. There are not many places to stage along the way. Your worst water can be closest to shore with tide and wind. If you had a smaller boat I would suggest trying to go with multiple boats, but then again multiple boats mean more chances of someone's breaking down.

Default patience and info is key

I agree, it's all about picking your weather and being patient, speed may be cool with one of the smaller boats but if I had a choice in needing to do that run often I would think 30 ft or larger cause you really stand a chance of getting caught sometime.

I got caught in a 35ft really tough boat once and it was some serious suffering, Really Got Worked Over. The currents there are very much different than most passages of similar distance so something with a tough bow, and ability to slow down and work your way through it is essential. Again if you are going to be doing it often.

If you wait for weather and get good forecast and have confidence in your machinery it is not a big deal tho and often can be a Flat Calm cruise, in summer anyway. In winter, you better get something that is TOUGH and be WISE
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It's been done in 20' skiffs, but I can't recomend that.

I have a friend who went over on a deer hunt with some other friends in their 50+' commercial fishing boat. He had to fly back, as their return trip was delayed for a month due to weather issues, that was in October.

The trip has everything to do with the captain and the ability to read the weather, the tides, knowing when to turn back, and being able to weather through conditions if things don't go quite to plan.

We went Whittier to Kodiak in a 38'. Weather forcast was for 4' seas most of the way, but we ended up in some 7-8' seas. The way back was nearly flat calm and my old 16' Lund would have done it.

Default Boating to Kodiak

I ran from Seward to Kodiak in a 32 footer to go deer hunting, wasn't a bad trip going. Coming back I was going to Homer and it went well enough until we started around the horn into Kachemak Bay when the tide was running heavy. We were bounced around pretty good until we got far enough into the bay to get past it. If you ever fly over it when the tide is running you can see the area with confused seas extends pretty far into the compass rose area.