Thread: Seeking information

Question Seeking information

Greetings Alaskans and wannabe Alaskans!

I am just wondering if anyone can give me any information on how I might be able to learn about dog-sledding... in as" hands on" a way possible!

I would really like to experience this as authentically as I can manage, and am willing to do basically anything to get there... but have no idea where to start, or who to ask.

I'm a 20 year old Australian girl (an unlikely dog-sledder, I know) but I have wanted to do this for as long as I can remember. I was thinking of coming to Alaska for 3-4 months at the end of 2010/ start of 2011, and am seeking a way to immerse myself in learning about dog sledding during that time.

Is there a way I could work for my keep, in exchange for the opportunity to do this?

Failing that, are there more tourist oriented options that I could turn to as a last resort?

Any feedback I receive will be greatly appreciated, be it positive or negative. I just want to find a way to make this happen.

Many thanks!

Hayley

Do a web search for Willow Dog Mushers Assoc. There is a gal named Erin who can circulate your name/info to all the local Iditarod mushers that may be looking for a handler. A good way to learn the ropes if you can handle the work involved...

Dk gives some pretty good advice like usual. The position you're referring to is called a "dog handler" and most mushers need at least one during at least some part of the season. Its alot of physical and time consuming work but if you can keep up with that then most of them will be happy to take you on even if you have no experience.

Start looking now though and get your name in there because the later in the summer it gets, the fewer positions that are still open. One good place to look is www.sleddogcentral.com (not advertising, just trying to help the girl out). They have a "handlers wanted" section which has contact info for several mushers in need of help. I spent last summer in Alaska working for the parks and have always wanted to do the same thing as you. This time I'm actually making the big move to Alaska (tomorrow actually) and will be working as a handler in Two Rivers for a year. Best of luck on finding a job Hayley, and keep us updated. Feel free to PM me for more info or whatever too. I'm a 21 year old guy from Texas so we're kinda in the same boat.

Hey Twist, sorry I never got to meet up with you last summer..and a pretty good summer it was!!...Vic said he enjoyed working with you...Good luck up in 2 rivers...

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Dk gives some pretty good advice like usual. The position you're referring to is called a "dog handler" and most mushers need at least one during at least some part of the season. Its alot of physical and time consuming work but if you can keep up with that then most of them will be happy to take you on even if you have no experience.

Start looking now though and get your name in there because the later in the summer it gets, the fewer positions that are still open. One good place to look is www.sleddogcentral.com (not advertising, just trying to help the girl out). They have a "handlers wanted" section which has contact info for several mushers in need of help. I spent last summer in Alaska working for the parks and have always wanted to do the same thing as you. This time I'm actually making the big move to Alaska (tomorrow actually) and will be working as a handler in Two Rivers for a year. Best of luck on finding a job Hayley, and keep us updated. Feel free to PM me for more info or whatever too. I'm a 21 year old guy from Texas so we're kinda in the same boat.
    Hahaha does your name start with J? If so, see ya on Thursday. I'm Georganne.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hahaha does your name start with J? If so, see ya on Thursday. I'm Georganne.
    Haha it does indeed. I've seen you post on here before, never knew it was you. See ya tomorrow!

Thanks Dk, maybe see ya some other time. Need to get Vic out of that office and fishing one of these days so maybe I'll be able to make it down to Mat-su sometime for a visit.