Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s l o w.........

Thumbs down s l o w.........

man it's slow out there...been out fifteen days with a client in horrible shape with mobility incredibly limited...and i've seen two dinks...single small sows fresh out of there dens....the only thing i know for a fact is that this is turning into the wierdest spring i can remember...dont know if the warm spell back in march ****ed the movement up or not...i havent been able to spot enough bears to get a handle on them this season yet. in for a shower and shave (rare) and back out tommorow. wish me luck out there i'll need it... fifteen days of nine to twelve hours behind the glass per day...i've seen about two thousand caribou, two golden eagles, TWO...YEAH TWO BEAUTIFUL wolverine (one i walked up on at forty yards while sidehilling around a knob while he was marking his little spot...freakin awsome, made the little glutton stop four times for clients camera with my predator call before he buggered off) a dozen head of moose and two pretty spring red fox........and two dinks. hard hunting. thats spring for you. i'm out again as soon as the wind dies down, i'll report back when i reach civilization again. weird spring out in this country....wierd. so far i've been on a hell of an eco tour, but the bear huntin's tough this season....

Default S L O W.....huh?

Well this goes back to the "Skill vs. Luck" thread..........wrong place at the wrong time, maybe luck will prevail soon....good luck

east coast of pws was slow too. we saw a couple brownies up on top but down low was slow. blackies seem pretty normal though..headed out again on wend for interior...hopefully it gets better.
    hang tight man, we have fast ones and we have slow ones....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default nope...wierd, like i said.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Well this goes back to the "Skill vs. Luck" thread..........wrong place at the wrong time, maybe luck will prevail soon....good luck
    i do this for a living man...when i say slow i mean as a company...not just me, not just one guide, not just one slow hunt....this aint my first rodeo, when i say wierd movements i mean wierd movements, because for the past seven or eight springs of my life i've spent a couple months in the mountains watching bears move....and right now, they aint movin. hell dude, sorry, i'm cranky. sorry to blow up. just stating that its different out there this year. and thanks for the good luck comment....wholeheartedly. i should just erase this cause i'm not normally a *****, but i'll reply as stated cause its a wierd spring out there....i'm not in the least concerned about one tough hunt....its hunting, if it were easy i wouldnt like it....what makes me cranky is caring as much as i do about the resource i take from and wondering what, why, and where....things that teach a guide his trade...speding lots of time in the field and not being able to explain what i'm seeing bugs me, as it should...it's my profession. anyway kaha...this aint personal....disregard.

When you make your living from Nature, you gotta roll with what ya see, as Top Predator.....sometimes the best Hunters come home with nothing........

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Good Luck! I hope it improves for you, I know how frustrating that can be. All you can do is glass until your eyes bleed, and hope something changes.

Default Rough

Well.....hopefully it all comes together for ya soon.

We're all pullin' for ya!

You must have a ring around your eye from 15 days of glassing.

I've been up that creek I can sympathize with you. Better luck on this one What unit you working?
    Chuck

Default Not Alone in that

You probably know this and it may not help but, You are definitely not alone in that place.

Been running into "the Big Time" guides in town here, out at the range, rushing to get back out there for as much time in thewoods as possible. getting the rifles sighted in for their hunters (one of whom looked like he MIGHT be able to walk 200 yds a day) and they all had this look of near panic, "haven't been seeing much movement all spring." These are guys who have been guiding for 40 plus years and they all seemed like this is one Wierd year.

Hope it shifts soon for ya, can't imagine what it must be like to "Go with the flow" while being paid by someone who may not know what that means.

Good Glassing to ya, Get into 'em
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Interesting, I been walking my "hotspot" looking for brownies and they are just not there this year like normal.. Usually by now I've seen at least a couple, not even any tracks...maybe this cool May weather is slowing them down???

Tough! Last month we hit what we considered our hot spot and got skunked! Found an empty den that looked to be at least 2 weeks old vacant. I wouldn't be surprised if that warm spell in March was not a mind melt for a few bears. last day out we did track one for about 10 miles and finally lost all signs.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default I just hope

that you're venting here instead of making life miserable for your client who's "in horrible shape with mobility incredibly limited..." Maybe you should set limits to the clients you accept. Certain BMI, run the 40 in so many seconds, under a certain age.

I sincerely hope your luck changes for the better! I'm not sure what good it does to go online and complain about your fat client. You don't think he's going to read this when he gets home?

I dont know where your working, but I agree that things are sure weird in regard to grizzly movement. Spent a couple days down on the denali and and another couple days in another part of the Alaska range, and all we did was glass. I saw one set of bear tracks way up high (with no bear in front of em) out of many hours behind glass. Its got me confused too, I'd figure they would be out and and about by now. Good luck dude.

Default no man...not about my clients

my client was a grand older gentleman who was very gratefull for my effort...my venting regarding him was only truthfull and he walked away knowing new limitations that were broader than he arrived with, as most of them do...still we were incredibly limited. and you called him fat, not me....just very limited and no where near his potential shape...which happens alot with people not knowing what theyre into out here. and as much as i wish i had a little control over who shows up in my camps and when (this particular gent couldve been better suited to a float hunt on the fish in the fall) i'm not an outfitter, i dont have a say in who shows up in my camps. if we took only 30 year olds in great shape we would be out of business... anyway, professionalism dictates i give 110% effort to each and every client no matter the limitation...and thats part of the challenge as a guide. as far as the client thing goes...he's coming back with his two boys for a float fishing trip, and he's thinking of coming on a fall hunt better suited to his needs as soon as we have an opening. after a full hunt with no huntable bears sighted....that should tell you a little about my efforts, and any confidence i might have instilled in my client regarding my abilities.

anyway i'm outta here the winds clearing up thanks for all the understanding comments i'll let you guys know. lol, sorry again kaha. no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    that you're venting here instead of making life miserable for your client who's "in horrible shape with mobility incredibly limited..." Maybe you should set limits to the clients you accept. Certain BMI, run the 40 in so many seconds, under a certain age.

I sincerely hope your luck changes for the better! I'm not sure what good it does to go online and complain about your fat client. You don't think he's going to read this when he gets home?

Default I figured it out.....

The BOF is now regulating the Grizzly Bear movements in Alaska!

that must be it.....

(had to add a little humor - it always makes misery taste better)

Default I know what it is!

Its that confounded H.A.A.R.P. program going on! The government has the weather patterns all screwed up. The bears don't know whether they should sleep or get up and kill stuff.

Default Limiting Factors

Just to explain my comment about talking with a guide in Kodiak who had a client sighting in his rifle that,"looked like he Might be able to walk 200 yds a day"

It seems that would be a tough part of guiding that would be a severely limiting factor in the ability to hunt hard and find 'em when there aren't many to be found, especially when they just aren't moving. Seems you would want to "go to them" which might mean way up high, or at least the next valley, and then the next. Not having these options would be a drag.

I remember the look on the guides face (amazingly patient) when the client was asking something about how to use the scope "on His new rifle" and combined with the apparent lack of physical conditioning, and the comments about how hard it was to find Bears this year. Well, it all adds to the equation.

Not meaning to rail on the guy who can buy his way to a Trophy Hunt in Alaska, but it does all factor in and must be a hard thing to deal with as a guide. I don't care if you are getting paid to help the guy, it still bears consideration in the overall difficulty of the entire hunt.

Don't know much about it, have never guided or been guided, couldn't do it for sure, Heck I can barely handle it when folks get seasick on my boat, just want to toss it all to make them feel better, that's the worst for catching fish
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

?? Over weight and out of shape non-residents? Certainly true of some. Might want to take look at some of the pictures posted by some residents participating in this forum - no chance of "confusing" them with either Johnny Weismuller OR Joe Weider!
    Certainly hunted with some that were out of shape - a lot more were in good shape - worked hard for their animals - and were truly good hunters. Come to think of it - not really that much different than many of the residents I've met in the field.
    Side note - apparently they have sealed 116 bears so far on Kodiak; must have been a "few" roaming around some where.
    Joe (Ak)

Default Just mentioning what I heard

Joe, I am just mentioning what I heard and saw from three very experienced guides in the Kodiak area in the weeks prior to Ninefoot's post, irregardless to how many have been put in, by what I heard from guys who are out there, it was a hard year to find Bears, harder than usual thus my post.
    As far as overweight, or nonresident,...???, I mentioned "physical conditioning" which you well know Joe has nothing to do with how heavy or skinny you are.
    It's a toughness and preparedness issue. Physical Conditioning is not washboard abs but it is clear whether they have it or not, in most cases.
    I am not a professional hunter but in my many years of serious commercial fishing from the Bering Sea to Ketchikan I can assure you I would never equate "physical ability" to fat or skinny (way too many of the toughest most efficient Fish Killers are not body builder guys but either really skinny wiry guys, or big huge "never stop" guys) and I am most definitely a fair judge of the ability of a man to get the job done or to make it hard on all those around him to get the job done. It was my job to not hire the wrong kind of man or woman to go offshore to make a living (not a few weeks in the woods), made a few mistakes, suffered for it, picked up the slack and went on.
    That's what I meant, this hunter was unprepared and was a definite serious liability to the hunt success. Paying or not, that is a factor. That guides gonna have a harder time finding a Bear for that guy.
    And I believe this was worth shooting for some understanding of where Ninefoot was coming from with his comments.

My buddy just got back from 30 days of guiding for bears here in Kodiak, did not connect with any. He said they saw lots of bears but most were dinks or rubbed real bad. He had his hunter on a nice one that was 200 yards away and when he asked the hunter if he could take a 200 yard shot, the hunter replied "what does my bullet do at 200 yards?" So much for being prepared!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast