Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Go big w/.375 or just stick with .30-06?

Default Go big w/.375 or just stick with .30-06?

Okay, I've made up my mind on a Remington 798 or 700 (unless the perfect 721 .300H&H drops in my path) and I'm torn on Caliber choice.

I live mostly in the lower 48 (Arizona/Colorado) and the 30-06 is great for anything I would hunt here. But then so is the .375.

AND, I MAY have one more Alaska Bear hunt in my future if my lotto tickets hit (guided hunt) and perhaps a sheep hunt. So, the question develops...

Stick with the .375 or go with the .30-06? What is the REAL answer on if the .30-06 is enough for reliable Brown Bear hunting/protection? Is it good enough (without backup) with a 180 or 200grain Nosler Partition?
    I was always comfortable with the results of the .300weatherby...but that's a LOT faster bullet.

OR, Should I split the difference and go with .300winmag or .338winmag?
    Or maybe even go with the .308 instead since it's MOSTLY lower 48 use...and Alaska hunts will be guided.

What say you?

Default also...

The purchase will probably be a used gun. In either the 798 or 700 series. Just can't decide on final caliber choice.

The .375 I'm looking at (excellent shape) is about the same price as a typical newer 700 in -06, so the price of the .375 is not an issue. Ammo expense IS less with a 30-06 or .308...but that's NOT a super-critical issue either. I'll go with whatever is BEST for the purposes, and most "logical". Budget is in the <$800 range.

If one rifle is your limit then go with a 338WM loaded with 200gr pointy bullets down south and 250gr Partitions up north.

Of course there will be a ton of opinions on this thread, it seems that's what your looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    If one rifle is your limit then go with a 338WM loaded with 200gr pointy bullets down south and 250gr Partitions up north.

Of course there will be a ton of opinions on this thread, it seems that's what your looking for...
    The .338 is one of my top choices...I just wonder if the 30-06 or .308 would be more logical? But, then again...it doesn't HAVE to be a 100&#37; logical choice! If I was going to get away from the -06 or .308, should I just stick with .375?

Marshall, do you think the .338 would be better than the .375? I DO like the .338wm round...and I'm pretty confident it would also be fine for Brown Bear...even as defensive protection. Remember, I'm also trying to stay...<$800 (and of course $650 would even be better). Just need ONE decent rifle...nothing fancy. Just the RIGHT caliber. That's why I was kinda liking that Rem798 for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Marshall, do you think the .338 would be better than the .375? I DO like the .338wm round...and I'm pretty confident it would also be fine for Brown Bear.
    Tough for me to say, I love my 375. On another note my brother has hunted almost exclusively with his very worn out 338WM. I can recall 19 moose, 14 sheep, 1 black bear, 2 browns and numerous caribou and deer that he has taken with that rifle. The browns were self defense and the 338 stopped them. He is currently looking at a new 338RUM.

Going back to your original question, bear and sheep. If you load the 375 light with 235's it will shoot in the 3000fps range and relatively flat. If you load it with 300's it will hit with a vengeance.

It's going to boil down to what you feel is best for you.

If you hunt out of Wrangell you can use one of my guns for bear

I love this game!

Personally I'd use an '06. Plenty of gun for where you're at and plenty of gun for a guided bear hunt. Adequate gun for a guided sheep hunt too. Plenty for everything else too. Cheap enough ammo and mild enough recoil to keep the proficiency up there on a regular basis.

A solo hunt for brownies is where a bigger hammer comes in IMHO... where you've got no one else around to help clean up a mess.

Shoot straight and there's no mess but that can be a big if.

Living here and hunting here all the time, year after year? Lots of guys get by with the '06 then too- but they rarely hunt big bears on purpose it seems.

I love the .375 and its more than adequate for a one and only gun... but it comes with an awful lot of baggage for everything but the really big stuff.

Don't ask me, I am taking my 450 Nitro Express out for moose this year.
    Tennessee

Sounds like you already made up your mind on the 798, too bad they don't chamber them in 338-06 as well. Heck a 30-06 re-bored to 338-06 would be pretty cool too. Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless 35 Whelen could be another option, reasonably priced just a lil over $500 bucks. But when you really think about it does a guy really need more than a 30'06 up here in Alaska. Friend of mine killed his brown bear with a 30'06 a few springs ago, can't say it was a big bear, probably medium sized but he was satisfied. I think the choice really comes down to what you can shoot well or in some cases learn how to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you hunt out of Wrangell you can use one of my guns for bear
    Thanks Will. That could be entirely possible...maybe up on the river somewhere. I'm picturing it already.

My buddy guides on the river...so maybe the three of us can hit it! Hell, I guess you can just cruise the beaches there huh? Not sure about how the permits work, etc. (esp. being "out of stater" now). Been many many years. Not sure how it all works now.

my question is....do you not already have a rifle?? If that's the case, than a 30-06 or 308 will do yah just fine.....especially since it's a guided hunt. I can't think of any guide who would turn away a hunter toting a 30-06 or 308 and if so.....i'd tell him to piss off and go find a new guide. these are the rifleman's rifle. these are the salt o the earth cartridges. considering that you may want to take this gun back down south with yah for a future hunt......it'll still work. It sounds like you're bound for the "one gun" way......and if so......stick with a 308 or 30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    my question is....do you not already have a rifle??
    It's a heartbreaking story, Mainer...it involves the trading away of a (sacred) .300Weatherby Rem721 (in my youth) for a M1Garand (that also has now been lost to time/money/cost of children).

Both of those (BOTH) would be on my replacement list...and perhaps that's another reason to stick with .30-06...because another M1Garand is ALSO on the "next purchase" list. So a 798 and a Garand in .30-06 WOULD be a nice compliment to each other...and I can still "present" Dad with the 798 or 700 as a "replacement" for the 721 I traded in my mispent youth. (don't worry...it will still be my gun). I was kinda sold on the .375 as the perfect Alaska gun...but perhaps I should consider the more often lower 48 / Northern Arizona Elk situation just as much.

I'm kinda liking the .30-06 idea more and more...for various reasons. Maybe the .375 is not fully needed.

The 300 WSM is a sweet cartridge. It was enough for this big brownie...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...me-does-31021/

...and Vanguards are good rifles. If you like accuracy, the Sub MOA's are a good choice

(unless the perfect 721 .300H&H drops in my path)
    GunsAmerica: Remington 721 300H&H 26" barrel 95% blue $650.00

http://www.gunsamerica.com/959021439...1_300_H_H.htm#

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    GunsAmerica: Remington 721 300H&H 26" barrel 95&#37; blue $650.00
    Yup, that would work. I'm still kinda toying with other ideas yet.

Still toying with the idea that the 30-06 would be smarter. And if I can find a "new" 798 I think it would be more gun for the $$$.

Does cdnn still have the 798 on sale for 499.00 for a .375 if so just buy one you'll not find a new .375 cheaper unless it's a savage.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I can't even imagine an animal on earth that after narrowing it down my two options would be a .30-06 and a .375. The atributes of these to cartridges are so dissimilar it's comical. You must have an interesting selection process! Why not have one of the 8mms or .338s? Seems more all around practical for anything in North America. More "umf" than a .30-06 and more range than a .375 or .30-06. Just a thought.

Brett

AZ,

Why not both? I did. They shoot about the same, so practice with the 06' and when you need more, 375!

Ron

Okay, I've made up my mind on a Remington 798 or 700 (unless the perfect 721 .300H&H drops in my path) and I'm torn on Caliber choice.

I live mostly in the lower 48 (Arizona/Colorado) and the 30-06 is great for anything I would hunt here. But then so is the .375.

AND, I MAY have one more Alaska Bear hunt in my future if my lotto tickets hit (guided hunt) and perhaps a sheep hunt. So, the question develops...

Stick with the .375 or go with the .30-06? What is the REAL answer on if the .30-06 is enough for reliable Brown Bear hunting/protection? Is it good enough (without backup) with a 180 or 200grain Nosler Partition?
    I was always comfortable with the results of the .300weatherby...but that's a LOT faster bullet.

OR, Should I split the difference and go with .300winmag or .338winmag?
    Or maybe even go with the .308 instead since it's MOSTLY lower 48 use...and Alaska hunts will be guided.

What say you?
    I think you'd be more happy with the KPV 14.5x114. Then there wouldn't be any more reservations about whether one would be more or less.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I'd just get a Whelan. Load it up or down, you've got all of NA covered.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast