Thread: Any info for a new guy????

Default Any info for a new guy????

I found a good spot in unit 7... I think.. as of now I have put out lots of sweet stuff. Tomorrow me and another guy are going to bring the 55 gal drum out with lots of popcorn, dog food and a bait ball. I will also be checking my cam to see if I have had any luck yet. Is there anything else I should be doing? I want to go all out this year so I can get one with the rifle and then take one with the bow next year. thanks in advance for all the help.

Rock

Default grease?

try gettin twenty or so gallons of deep fryer grease...the bears love it and it sticks to them so they make scent trails in and out of your bait for other bears to smell.....its a pain in the @$$ to clean up...but worth it in my opinion!

Syrup, Syrup, oh and more SYRUP

For unit 7 - i would avoid grease you will have enough brown bear problems without the grease.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default hints

Ditto on the fryer grease, especially effective when I put in spray bottle and walk up any trails leading to the stand and mist the trail lightly. I clean up the dirt around barrel so dont over soak the dirt as it is pain to carry out.

Also honey burns work well....a can of the gelled fuel, tin foil and honey in the tinfoil can be really effective.

In my area Anise has brought in bears every year for the past 5 years.

Be sure to check the dog food for mold early on as that can make it so bears will take sniff but not stay around, once they start cleaning you out regularly it is not an issue.