Thread: 22 target ammo

Default 22 target ammo

Looks like I'm entering a 22 rimfire 50 yard bench rest league this summer. I guess everything that you shoot at is a target but I've never consistently tried to hit a quarter inch x ring @ 50 yards before. That's a tad better than minute of squirrel noggin.

I've got scads of the standard Federal's, American Eagles, Remington copper whatever and even some CCI mini mags. Am I stupid to even consider any of this stuff for this kind of shooting or should I go right to target/match grade ammo? Which one?

I will be shooting a custom 10/22 with their own 20" hammer forged barrel and a Volquartzen trigger/hammer set up. The barrel is snug in the stock and though I've never glassed and floated a 22 I think this one is going to get it. I've had this gun a while but just took it out of the box a week ago. Narry a round through it yet.

I have always considered myself more hunter and less shooter. Any tips going in?

Every rifle is different as to what ammo it likes or dislikes. Wolf makes some fairly inexpensive target ammo. $5-8 a box of 50. Lapua is pretty good stuff, some of it goes up to $13 or so per box of 50.
    Unfortunately the general rule about target .22 ammo is the more expensive it is the better it shoots. My experiences follow this, pay more, less flyers, and the more consistent and tighter the groups.
    All this is of course based on the belief your rifle is capable of shooting .25 at 50 yards. Better get those flags out as one tiny puff of wind will make your groups expand.
    You might try reading this read as well:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/9871088921
    Tennessee

It seems to reason that ammo made to higher standards will have closer tolerances and therefor better consistency and smaller groups. Fortunately 22LR ammo is inexpensive so trying several brands wont break the bank.

I have an old Belgium Browning 22LR semi auto rifle. I didn't take proper care of it during it's early life but it still shoots pretty good. It won't hold a candle to a 10/22 with Volquartsen mods.

Last year bricks of cheap 22LR were hard to find so I bought match grade ammo and my old rifle really stood up and said hello. Try a few varieties of the good stuff and see what works best for you. Perhaps you can find some Lapua in ANC.

http://www.eabco.com/Lapua03.html

they say that Eley is the best in the world for target shooting along with ammunition to go has Eley match for a 5000.rd count case for $.224.95..plus shipping to the Alaska ..so maybe looking at around $.300.oo or a litte more total for a case of 5000.rds total of match grade ammo that should last you the seaon and then some for pratice time ....

i allways wanted to try the 22.lr mini palma shooting out to the 200 yard mark that some guys do with open sights on the match grade bolt actions rifles ..for they start at the 100 yard mark with rifle then move out to 150 yard mark then the final stage is at 200 yard mark ..

so of the guys do at 100 yard mark also for that all the space that they have

If it is not on the shelf locale, good luck shipping ammo to Alaska. I never had any luck mailing ammo to this State, all kind of rules to mail anything to our State. I shoot and old 40X with a jewel trigger and 36X Leupold scope and shot a total of one box of Eley that was give to me. Most of the time I shoot Lapua because it's the best in my rifle and the biggest reason cause I can get it off the shelf. I've shot some pretty small groups with the Wolf ammo.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

i email today and ask about shipping to Alaska and they will email me back with the rate for Alaska ..so i will post here in the next few days..

Can't mail ammo, used to be able too.

Grafs will ship ammo and primers to Ak, any company can do it but needs to be shipped Next Day and they'd have to have someone in the shipping department fill out the additional air shipment form.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

In my High Standard 106, I have shot RWS Match, Fed GM Match, Aguila Match, Lapua Pistol King, Lapua Center X, Standard Velocity Fiocchi, and Fiocchi Rapid fire, Aguila Match and rate them as follows

1. Tie: RWS and Pistol King
    2. Center X
    3. Fiocchi Rapid Fire
    4. Aguila Match
    5. Federal Match
    6. SV Fiocchi

Since the RWS is impossible to get, I hoard my stash and signed us up as a stocking dealer for Lapua and Fiocchi

We also have the Polar Biathalon. My bro Hans shot a witnessed, 5 shot one inch group at 100 yards with an old Savage Anshutz with a POS scope and that ammo. I couldnt beleive it

CMP ships .22 ammo to Alaska via FedEx. Bought three cases from them last year and the FedEx driver dropped em off on the door step. They charged $20 more for shipping to Alaska.

And I know it is not legal, but more than a few of my friends have their friends ship up ammo via the USPS flat rate boxes. They been doing it for years without any problems.
    Tennessee

i want a Walther KK 300 unversal model 22.lr rifle with sights for basically to shoot 50 yard prone matchs outdoors and find a mini palma match here and there in the summer time..

for me 22.lr and 177 cal air rifles are lot cheaper to feed then a big bore rifle for target shooting .so i going the 22.lr for summer time and 177 cal for winter time rifle shooting habits ..

SW in Wasilla had some Win T22 on the shelf a few days back. Might be worth a try as it's not nearly as expensive as most target ammo.

Elmer check out rimfirecentral.com lots of info. we have an informal .22 matches down here and it takes groups in the .5's and .6's to win at 100yrds on no wind days if the wind is blowing forget it. but still lots of fun. Good luck.

Default Graffs Ammo Shipping

I ordered 9000 rounds (18 boxes) of different brands of .22 match ammo from Graffs....$35 haz mat and $35 shipping.