Thread: Trolling for kings in Kachemack Bay?

Default Trolling for kings in Kachemack Bay?

Family and I will be down in Homer this weekend fishing for some butts, but was wondering if somone could help with some general information about kings. We do not have the range to go up to the Anchor/Starski area where most reports tend to come from, but the Seldovia/Halibut cove/ Bluff point areas may be reachable. Is there any kings hanging out in these areas and if so do you just go after them by throwing out a deep six diver with some herring? We do not have downriggers- I realize this is a longshot but would appreciate any input,

Thanks,
    -Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Family and I will be down in Homer this weekend fishing for some butts, but was wondering if somone could help with some general information about kings. We do not have the range to go up to the Anchor/Starski area where most reports tend to come from, but the Seldovia/Halibut cove/ Bluff point areas may be reachable. Is there any kings hanging out in these areas and if so do you just go after them by throwing out a deep six diver with some herring? We do not have downriggers- I realize this is a longshot but would appreciate any input,

Thanks,
    -Nick
    We caught a small one (maybe 3 lbs.) today off the Bluffs. I've seen a couple of other charter operators out past the "high spot" recently but don't know what success they have had. There are always "feeders" hanging out around there, so it's always worth a shot. Some of the spawners come through there, too, so you might just get lucky with one of them. The trick is to just stay with it. They can be "few and far between" out there, so it could take hours of trolling just to put one in the box. I did have a reliable report of someone pulling a 17 pounder out of there just a week ago.

I haven't been out past Seldovia after kings for quite a while, so I'm not sure what's going on out there. One of the best places for "winter" kings is a spot about a mile or so past (toward Pogi) Seldovia Bay. It would certainly merit consideration. The only problem with going that far is it's not much further to just make the trip up to Anchor instead and get to where there are almost guaranteed kings. I'm headed there tomorrow and will post how we did.

Without downriggers I'd say some sort of planer will work for you. I prefer using lead, though, since you don't end up fighting the planer along with the fish. The biggest problem with planers is it's really hard to be consistent with what depth you're fishing them at and that can be (and you notice I say "can be") a deal maker or breaker if you're after kings. I've seen plenty of days where trolling at 30 ft. won't produce a single fish, but going down to 70 is a fish box filler. With a downrigger you are always sure of what depth you're at, but with a planer it will depend on a number of variables such as how fast YOU are going, how fast the current is running, how much line you have out there and also the type of planer.

For kings you will also want to use a flasher of some sort. I like the Pro-Troll 11" ones. This also makes both a planer and lead a bit problematic because the big rolling action of the planer will upset the planer. Another really good reason to be using downriggers. Have you considered putting some on your boat? I used to own a 16 ft. Hewescraft and I just bought the smaller Canon Easi-Trolls and they worked great. They would be a very worthwhile investment if you plan on doing a lot of trolling for salmon.

In short, going out to the Bluffs would definitely be worthwhile, but don't expect non-stop action.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com