Thread: Too Early for Kesugi?

Default Too Early for Kesugi?

Hey!!! Anyone ever done Kesugi as early as Memorial Day? I have never done it and everything I have been reading says the season for hiking that does no ripen till July!!

Anyone have any experience on Kesugi Ridge they could share????

Thanks!

I was up Little Coal Creek (northern access to Kesugi Ridge) at the end of June in 2008, which was an exceptionally snowy year. The trail was fine, though pretty wet still, with snow patches at the highest elevation, so I would guess the trail opens up sometime in mid-June in an average year. The area definetely gets more snow and melts out later than comparable elevations around Anchorage and the Mat-Su though, so the end of May is likely to still be sloppy and a little miserable.

I've been up little coal to kesugi in late may and the first of june several times. There will be plenty of snow in places and snowfields you need to cross, but should be doable. Pick a nice warm sunny day and have fun!!

Default Drove down from FBks

Drove down from Fbks last weekend, and through summit pass there was still some ice on the lakes, and snow up high although mainly on the northern faces, the south faces were snow free, although looking up to the ridge, there was some snow, but nothing that would need snowshoes.