Thread: Boat Motorhome

Question Boat Motorhome

Here is an idea that I had long before I owned a boat or camper; Buy a boat (trailerable) that would double as a camper/motorhome. It would need to be small enough that it would tow easily, the C-Dory fits this description. The C-Dory, or that type, would need to be a cabin cruiser with all the accessories of a camper or camp trailer. You could travel the state and enjoy both the water and campgrounds, -best of both worlds!

What are some of your ideas about this type of set-up, anyone ever entertain the idea?

PS. Hopefully this thread will help stir some ideas for anyone who might be thinking of selling their boat to buy a motorhome.

You'll need something much larger than a c-dory 22 to have the comfort of even the smallest mobile homes. Probably the best compromise would be to get a cab over camper on your towing truck.

I'd thought a cabin cruiser would be able to serve as an rv, cabin and fishing vehicle, just didn't work out that way.

Default ????? I sure do it

Funny I use mine that way, 22' Bayliner Explorer, if I make it to Seward or Homer late I don't go get a room I just pull out the ladder. Heck I do it for as many days as I can on the water. If I end up in a camp ground and it's raining, I tie a tarp to the top of the boat and bungee to ??? like at Kenai Lakes Quarts Creek campground.
    Small sure, warm yup, would a motor home be more comfortable sure, I have almost the same room in the boat as a small camper. So not sure I understand the statement, but each his own.

That's what I found when I bought my boat. 26 foot Glacier Bay Catamaran. It was built to be legal in all 50 states, at 8'6" beam. It has a queen sized bed, dinette that folds down into a single bed, toilet, shower, 3 sinks, refridgerator and I add a 1 burner stove/cabin heater. It holds 30+ gals of fresh water, and has a water heater. Oh...did I mention it floats too!!!

We we looking for a boat that we could go out and spend 3-4 days in, instead of running back to shore to stay in our camper at night, like we did with the old boat. Life on the water is so much better now!!

We love it!!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default anyone remember this one?

http://books.google.com/books?id=OOM...0sport&f=false

Called a Boatmobile Freedom Sport...meant to be used as a travel trailer & boat...(not sure the link will work..)

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post

Called a Boatmobile Freedom Sport...meant to be used as a travel trailer & boat...(not sure the link will work..)

Now that thing is sweet!! I don't remember it but I like it. I also enjoyed looking at the prices in that K-Mart add. Those were the days!!!
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default boat/motorhome

do a websearch for the C-dory owners group. They trailer their boats and camp in them on the road, or did a coujple years back.

Default who forgot...

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post

AW, hell, honey, who forgot to latch that front compartment

A lot of D-dory owners use their boats for on and off the water camping. They are easy to get into on the trailer and generally come with everything you would find in a well equipped truck camper, just a little tighter. Our 22 sleeps 3 comfortably, but is perfect for 2. The low center of gravity makes for easy towing, I pulled mine up from Seattle and fuel economy only changes slightly.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    A lot of D-dory owners use their boats for on and off the water camping. They are easy to get into on the trailer and generally come with everything you would find in a well equipped truck camper, just a little tighter. Our 22 sleeps 3 comfortably, but is perfect for 2. The low center of gravity makes for easy towing, I pulled mine up from Seattle and fuel economy only changes slightly.
    oops, must have had D on the brain.....
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.