Thread: Honda Foreman hard to start

Default Honda Foreman hard to start

I have a 2001 Honda Foreman 450ES and it is driving me nuts. If the temp is above 28 it starts immediately. With each degree drop in temp it adds about a minute of cranking time to start. Any ideas as to why?

A couple of questions, how old is the battery and does your choke work? I've got one like yours but mine's an 04 and i've never had the problem your experiencing. It sounds to me like your battery is going you could have water in your gas.

The battery seems strong enough and I have ran 5 or 6 tanks of gas through it. I bought it used and the winch is also wired wrong. It will only pull if the engine is off. if the engine is on the winch powers out like it is overloaded. I bet the starting problem and the incorrectly wired winch could be related. The winch hot wire is spliced into the ignition wire. Should I disconnect it and wire directly to the battery or to the "fuse box" that little box with electrical connections.

Default Foreman

My Foreman was doing kinda the same thing. How is the choke cable? Mine was really tight and would kill my thumb trying to move it.
    I took mine into ATV Salvage here in ER and he fixed me up. I used to have to keep it in the heated garage to plow the driveway. I can now leave it on the porch outside and she fires right up as the choke cable moves freely.
    Also just a heads up, I have used this thing in Fairbanks for work and once it gets around 20 below or so outside, she just won't idle. I kept it in a heated shop all night and it ran fine in there, but at a certain point when it gets too cold it can be tough keeping her going at idle.
    I use mine for extreme work and play. Maintenance is the key.It is easier for me to take it in every year and have it gone through to make adjustments and a good going over. My life can depend on this thing and having a guy who see's these things every day, he knows what to look for.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

My winch is connected to my ignition switch also but i've got it setup where it only works when the key is turned on. I would definitley re-wire that switch and see what happens.

Thanks guys. I will definitely check the choke cable. Think some wd 40 or liquid wrench might loosen movement? I love these forums.

It's worth a shot but I don't know how well you'll be able to get the whole cable lubed. It would probably be better to replace it.

Honda carbs have a primer button. 3 or 4 pumps and it should start regardless if the choke works or not.
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Yep, use the primer button on the side of the carb. About three pumps on the primer or until you feel some resistance.

My Honda rancher will start at 20 below but it seems like I have to plug in the battery or it just won't quite start at those temps. I will try synthetic oil next winter which I think will make quite a difference.

I really can't find a good place to glue on a block heater on my Rancher. Anyone have any suggegstions?

Default Just a thought?

Have you tried changing you spark plug? Maybe you've got a weak spark? It easy quick and cheap and they do wear out.

Also if your carb has a drain on it, drain all of the gas out of it, sometimes just a little water will condense inside the bowl and make my Big Bear hard to start especially after sitting for a while.

Good luck!
    Last edited by byrd_hntr; 05-21-2010 at 18:46. Reason: add some stuff.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

The 450's need a bigger jet. Check with the dealer. It will be special order but it makes all the diff in cold weather. My 450 was very hard starting in the cold but does good now. I cannot remember the numbers on the jets now but the dealer will.