Thread: Kasilof bait opener

Default Kasilof bait opener

Anyone had any luck on the Kasilof? I'm thinking about going down on tuesday. I've heard of a couple being caught recently. Also, anyone have any input on Coho cove vs. crooked creed rec. I'll be fishing from the bank with some eggs and spin n' glos.

caught one steelhead this weekend and saw one small king caught at the first bend past crooked creek. it was caught out of a drift boat on a kwik fish.

Saw five caught on Sunday, only one was a keeper hatchery fish. I caught and released a decent steelhead and had one other quick thump on my line later in the day. Was hoping we'd get into a couple, but no luck. Just about like the past bait openers that I've fished. A little action out there, but still early and slow.

Quote Originally Posted by SwansonSilver View Post
    Anyone had any luck on the Kasilof? I'm thinking about going down on tuesday. I've heard of a couple being caught recently. Also, anyone have any input on Coho cove vs. crooked creed rec. I'll be fishing from the bank with some eggs and spin n' glos.
    I've always only fished below Crooked Creek so I can't tell you how it compares to Coho Cove. But I love the long stretch just below the big shallow area right below the rapids at the confluence. It's a great area to toss some eggs and a spin 'n glo out. I've caught a lot of kings in that stretch.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I heard there were 4-5 kings caught, all at the tail out of people hole just after the early morning tide within an hour or so of each other... I got there just a little too late, just after all the action - hooked one steely and a few dollies, and had one good takedown that didn't stay down.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Kasilof

Went down there yesterday to Crooked Creek access area. Didn't get anything and didn't see any caught.

Quote Originally Posted by SwansonSilver View Post

Quote Originally Posted by missingmontana View Post
    Went down there yesterday to Crooked Creek access area. Didn't get anything and didn't see any caught.
    I don't know this for a fact, but I have a feeling with the way the Anchor run is materializing the Kasilof is going to be along the same lines. It was the same way last year. Sure hope not, but it's kind of disturbing for some odd reason.

Fished the Kasilof Thurs. and Fri. saw ONE fish caught. I put some hours in too.

The Anchor River fish count almost doubled from previous day's counts on Thursday, so maybe things might be getting better. There are some fish being caught out in the salt. Got a 20 pounder at the south Anchor marker yesterday and then released one that was about 20 to 25 lbs. NW of the Bluffs this morning. Maybe they're starting to come through.

i fished it sat with no fish, but hay the weather has been killer.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Thumbs down Kasilof any better/worse than Kenai

All of the bad news about the ER Kenai king run,high water,low visibility,no fish has me wondering if low returns are going to be the fate of all KP streams this year. Reading other threads,there seem to be some fish being caught in some Valley creeks but I'm curious why no recent reports from the Kasilof. After a busy Memorial Day weekend I'd think there would be at least some positive reports,but I'm not reading any on the forums.And the state doesn't count Kings on a sonar unit on the Kasilof.At least they don't let such a count be public.
    Seems to me with bait allowed,less pressure from the hordes,and a lot less drainage to raise water levels there should be fish being caught.Is this an incorrect assumption on my part,or are those fishing the Kasilof keeping any success to themselves to keep crowds away ? Anybody else have a take on this ?Time to hit the water.......